Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out before the snow came today. cut up some old Oak from the Pasture. Should have taken pictures before cutting. Must has been down and bark less for years. Got to bull some more down with the tractor.

Attachments

• makita and old oak 004.JPG
    makita and old oak 004.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • makita and old oak 005.JPG
    makita and old oak 005.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Hey guys, figured I had better check in.

Been a very busy fall and winter and the weather was downright crummy to do any optional wood cutting. In addition I found out earlier this week that I had Lyme disease that I most likely have been carrying for quite some time. I did not get any of the "traditional" symptoms other than a welt around the suspected bite area that did not go away but I definitely have been lethargic and putting in an 8 hour day tires me out compared to my usual level of energy where I run out of time well each day well before I run out of energy. Started strong antibiotics earlier this week. Made the mistake of taking one on an empty stomach which made me feel like death. When I take them with food I am fine but still tired as hell. Supposedly after 3 weeks it should knock everything out of me.
Sorry to hear Steve, hope the meds help and your back to normal soon! Miss seeing your posts.

Tha dog and I are enjoying a nice warm fire before the snow starts flying later tonight. Expecting 5”, so I know I’ll be shoveling and throwing snow tomorrow a.m.
faa06e24424f851c9bd3e85f9572b92b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here ya can see how the baffle is sagging and starting to make full loading tough. This will burn for bit over 2 hours. Figure a repair on the baffle is doable but it would still only hold heat 2-3 hours completely shut down.
20190118_193103.jpg Heres a pic of the inside of are old VC. Some warped parts and cracks but still get a solid 6-8 hours of heat out of a full load. Probly get replaced in the next 2 years.

View attachment 697813 Heres a pic of the inside of are old VC. Some warped parts and cracks but still get a solid 6-8 hours of heat out of a full load. Probly get replaced in the next 2 years.
It might take me 2 years too. Next season is my goal. This one's been in since 1980-1982 some where in there. Did the chimney liner new last year. 35 years or so and it was just starting to pin hole in the bottom Tee.

Shame the Gov shut down Sotz corp. Their inexpensive kit to convert a 55 gal drum to an airtight wood stove was fantastic. Long burn times, and more total BTUs, and more BTUs from each cord of wood burned than the VC stoves of the time. (It was not that they could not meet emissions, they could not afford to pay for the testing certification). My brother spoke to the owner, he was furious the gov shut them down. And yes, one of their Monster Mauls is also still up at my cabin, but it has been replaced by the X-27. However, for years, that is what I split all my wood with.

I heated my house with one for years (two different houses), and it is what heats my upstate hunting cabin. I think the kit was $35, and the air intake option another $35 (shuts down when hot, opens when cool). Together, they are real tough to beat for the price. Basis kit included legs, door and flu collar.

Gov shut them down soon after the Popular Mechanics article that said they were more efficient than the $600 VC stove!

This is the best pics of one I could find:

https://www.**********/talk/threads/sotz-wood-stove.125596/

Went to TSC for a couple gallons of bar oil this morning. Just had to cruise the clearance aisle, you know how it is...
Have been watching for a nice heavy shackle to go in the recovery kit. Spied this for $43. 20190119_095510.jpg Quick on line search showed best price at Amazon was over $70 so in the cart it went.

G'day folks, we went down to the Aus Open tennis on Friday. The one thing that we didn't see was actual live tennis since it rained so the outdoor courts weren't playable and we only had grounds passes. It wasn't a total loss though as the kids spent much of the day in the ballpark (amusement section) and I found the Canadian Club section.

Resized_20190118_134547_1477 (2).jpeg

:surprised3:

Went to TSC for a couple gallons of bar oil this morning. Just had to cruise the clearance aisle, you know how it is...
Have been watching for a nice heavy shackle to go in the recovery kit. Spied this for $43. View attachment 697934 Quick on line search showed best price at Amazon was over $70 so in the cart it went.
Marketing to guys like my son. He has an Alaskan Cow Catcher on the truck.

I managed to get back to the bush yesterday and cut a load down, went back this morning and cut it up, loaded it and hauled it home. This afternoon I cut another load down and dragged it to the landing but it got dark oclock way too early to get it home. I'm going back in the morning to cut it up to 13'4" logs and haul home. Should be around 250 logs logs stacked up by then. The last couple weeks have been good weather to get around in the bush other than me trying to get a path thru one wet section. I got buried again on Friday but I'm not going back near there again until summer, I was lucky to get out. And yes that is 30' from where I was stuck last weekend. It was -13C today which is 10F darn cold.
20190119_175234.jpg 20190118_173512.jpg 20190118_173500.jpg 20190118_163402.jpg

39BBCFFF-C57D-469C-AA3C-EAE73B6C1C9C.jpeg E148A633-2AEC-44B8-BFF1-D7EBD79D78D0.jpeg image.jpgBurning some cherry that I scrounged a couple years ago. It leaves nice secondaries at the top of the stove, they’ve been there for a while now. Honestly, caught me by surprise how hot it was burning. I loaded it pretty full I and it quickly had my stove pretty stinking hot. I had to Turn my draft all the way down which I don’t normally do, for a couple minutes I regretted loading it with so much! Anyway, hope y’all have a good night.

Back