Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
27f here right now. that is supposed to be the high for today. Its downhill from there, 16F by tomorrow morning. Ground looks like someone sprinkled salt on a hamburger, I dont expect much more, but the snow is still blowing. Let the fire die out last nigh. It just got to dang hot in the house last nite. Just built the fire back a few minutes ago. I got the reality check when I heard the furnace kick on.

I have had a smoke problem the last few days, open the stove door and smoke wants to come out. Thats usually a sign my chimney needs cleaning. Yesterday morning I climbed on top of the house with my cleaning rod and ran it thru the chimney. I hadnt cleaned it in two winters. I got about half a ash bucket of cresote. It wasnt restricted or clogged at all. Still getting some smoke out the door. Not sure whats going on. I probably need to remove the elbows at the back of the stove and see if ash has built up in the short pipe from stove to chimney. Only other cause of smoking I can think of.

Well, when the rain turned to snow around 4:30 it really put it down until 7:30. We got 5-6”, temps in the mid teens and 15-20 mph wind. Not real pleasant plowing on the quad. My circulation really sucks after the stroke, took my good gloves off for about 5 minutes and had to come in the house for an hour before I could feel my fingers again. Getting old ain’t for sissies.

View attachment 698033 View attachment 698032 View attachment 698029Burning some cherry that I scrounged a couple years ago. It leaves nice secondaries at the top of the stove, they’ve been there for a while now. Honestly, caught me by surprise how hot it was burning. I loaded it pretty full I and it quickly had my stove pretty stinking hot. I had to Turn my draft all the way down which I don’t normally do, for a couple minutes I regretted loading it with so much! Anyway, hope y’all have a good night.

Its good for it in short spurts when done periodically IMO. Really breaks loose whatever your daily routine dosnt.

My PE Summit handles high stove top temps for short periods very well.

Iv been running it a bit hotter lately anyway.

Enjoy that high heat brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wood bin was about empty at 7 this morning, and I was supposed to check the weather and driving conditions, because my daughter stayed at a friends house down in DC. It was about 35*, so I told her to head on home. It looked like it was going to crash down into the teens, so I put my slippers on and filled up both small inside wood bins and the carry bag. Told every one not to use any wood out of the bins, use the wood in the bag, and when empty refill. I don't want to have to bring wood in tomorrow if it's down to single digits.

Well, yesterday I got both my generators fired up (took some pulling, they had not been used in a while), bought some gas, and found out the ATV battery is on it's way out (a little fluid film on the positive terminal is limping it through at the moment).

This morning all my controls on the ATV were frozen solid, so I chipped things free with a screw driver and started plowing … luckily it started! Snow was not deep, but very heavy, and need to remove it before the real deep freeze that is coming. The doors on the Escape were also frozen closed, but I got them open.

Well , yesterday was a long hunnydo list , Jerry got the same list so with some luck we had the checkmarks done by 1:30 so ....

x6QYwPr.jpg

We sure hate to miss these big sky days !!!
We decided to try and scrounge up a roadside load and grab some dead standing that was within the walking/carry distance .
AVS4bUq.jpg

Being so thick we cut a walking trail to the clumps .
nt4h0Qz.jpg

Then the fun began lol
qHeHn31.jpg

I'm 100% positive I need a Donk !
Or at the least , Nate's son lol
We also did our part to feed the deer and rabbits
JLHkKhc.jpg

Didn't take too long to get a load
FwAokHb.jpg

Fc2SLRD.jpg

Got it to the pit , blocked it and added it to the pile
WQ9yikN.jpg

It was a great scrounging day , sunny , big sky , 12F with no wind :)

I like the caddy. Might have to try something like that. Have had too many things slide out of the bucket and wasted gas to go back for equipment when hauling out.

Don't like hassling with a trailer if I can avoid it. We have a small dump trailer I was considering fixing up for that but someone robbed a wheel off and its odd old sized. Has bolts instead of studs.

I did some wood stuff! well....I split up 3 and a half sacks pf kindling for mum, should do her for most if not all of the remaining burn season. i used to find kindling splitting annoying...but with the hatchet head from Dan that I hung on a Smedbergs handle, it makes me smile to use and I like the extra weight and length. I enjoyed being out in the garden, despite the cold, letting the girls play in the wendy house and occasionally making me really smile as they picked up sticks/split kindling.

I also did a pass by my wood scrounge pile last night...nothing! pfff. I can afford to be picky thee days and would have left it had been naff wood, but it felt bad to see it empty!

I like the caddy. Might have to try something like that. Have had too many things slide out of the bucket and wasted gas to go back for equipment when hauling out.

Don't like hassling with a trailer if I can avoid it. We have a small dump trailer I was considering fixing up for that but someone robbed a wheel off and its odd old sized. Has bolts instead of studs.
The caddy will fit on the trailer tongue or rides in the bucket. Trailer now has taller tires for better clearance and an offset hitch so the wood splitter tracks in the same lane as everything else. Can configure the backblade between the tractor and trailer now for when I want to put on a one vehicle parade ;)IMG_20150621_110937_560.jpg

Latest posts

Back