Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't take you long to put that ls1 in there :D.

I'll be back to a gmc product in short order if this ram gives me much trouble. Out of my last 4 trucks I have never had them in for anything other than deer collisions. Think the only part I switched was my solenoid on the front diff in 09' silverado. Really like the ride of the Ram and the space but I don't do well bringing things in.

Ran almost a full tank through my new MS 462, and let me tell you, a tank lasts a long time in that saw! Was a beautiful, sunny calm day when I started at 1:00, now (at 4:00) it is cold, windy, dark, and the air is full of snow, so sorry, no pics or vids today! It looks like a blizzard out there now!

Used the MOFO Hybrid to fell the tree and do some of the larger bucking (has a 28" bar), and used the 462 (20" light bar) for everything else. Of course, I had to rope it cause it was leaning toward a pool, and no clear path to drop it, so it hung up on trees and vines, was a real PITA to get down! But in addition to a good amount of fire wood, I have 3 nice Black Walnut logs to mill.

Both saws ran great, but the 462 has lightning fast throttle response, great speed and great power. No one is going to lament not being able to get a 044/440 any more, or for that matter a 460 or 461!

I will be extremely satisfied if the 462 stays just like it is, but it is on it's first tank of fuel, if it picks up like my 362 did, I will be ecstatic! This is clearly going to be a winning set up for those who want a saw to do everything from limbing to bucking w/o excess weight.

I don't think I'll do any mods to this saw other than the muff mod I already did, (2 - 1/4" holes in the side of the muffler cover) she just runs great!

Ran almost a full tank through my new MS 462, and let me tell you, a tank lasts a long time in that saw! Was a beautiful, sunny calm day when I started at 1:00, now (at 4:00) it is cold, windy, dark, and the air is full of snow, so sorry, no pics or vids today! It looks like a blizzard out there now!

Used the MOFO Hybrid to fell the tree and do some of the larger bucking (has a 28" bar), and used the 462 (20" light bar) for everything else. Of course, I had to rope it cause it was leaning toward a pool, and no clear path to drop it, so it hung up on trees and vines, was a real PITA to get down! But in addition to a good amount of fire wood, I have 3 nice Black Walnut logs to mill.

Both saws ran great, but the 462 has lightning fast throttle response, great speed and great power. No one is going to lament not being able to get a 044/440 any more, or for that matter a 460 or 461!

I will be extremely satisfied if the 462 stays just like it is, but it is on it's first tank of fuel, if it picks up like my 362 did, I will be ecstatic! This is clearly going to be a winning set up for those who want a saw to do everything from limbing to bucking w/o excess weight.

I don't think I'll do any mods to this saw other than the muff mod I already did, (2 - 1/4" holes in the side of the muffler cover) she just runs great!
That sounds like a great machine! :::jealous:::
Even sounds like a better afternoon after the snags!

The cold snap/warm up is timed perfect...cold when im here to keep the stove goin and warming up for the days im at work.
That works :).
I just finished telling my wife how grateful I am that someone has always been able to feed the stove here :clap:. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but when it does it can save a lot :envy:.

That works :).
I just finished telling my wife how grateful I am that someone has always been able to feed the stove here :clap:. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but when it does it can save a lot :envy:.
Especially if you're a Consumers Energy gas customer! Fire took a NG compressor offline. They're asking people to dial back t-stats to 65*F.

-4 this morning. half inch of snow yesterday after noon and 5" the night before. View attachment 700816
I built a windshield for my tractor last fall. Yesterday's -27 WC had me thinking that was a good move. My driveway can be plowed mostly while facing west. Yesterday's wind was from the WSW, was able to stay out for the half hour it took to plow no problem. Went over to clean out the snow the road crew put in the end of the neighbor's drive which required east - west travel and damn near froze in the 10~15 minutes it took to get there, clear the snow, and get back home.

Thought I'd share some firewood pics and a couple of the house. It's not as cold here as it is south and west of us. Only -15°C. The wind has been blowing hard for a few days and lake effect snow is stacking up. Early this morning every road in both counties here was closed, schools closed, where I work, everything except emergency services. Kids haven't been to school since last week and they are getting cabin fever.
875022533b45a829e35bf5d8490f40d6.jpg
7942f90d4849f8d8c6b4c4741d4f63ca.jpg
7e379d7483f145e9f77215cde6ddd12d.jpg
6489344bd75e17f48d7bbbec0390e90f.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I had -39 this morning. It is "up" to -23 now. No wind overnight but we have a breeze now.

My dual fuel electric boiler was shut off yesterday by the power co so I switched over to propane until this is through. For some reason the auto switch was not working immediately. My office (older building with forced air) had been turned down to 50 over the weekend and it was took a long time to get up to temp. The only water lines are in the back of the building near the furnace so no issues there. I had a water bottle in the far corner against the wall. It was covered up with some stuff and was about half frozen when I picked it up.

Sounds like natural gas customers were asked to reduce their thermostats to prevent a shortage of fuel. One benefit to being on your own system.

Latest posts

Back