Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You fellin better Steve???

Hey, was just a little below Zero here this morning with a slight breeze, and it wakes you up when it hits your face … plus I shaved the beard off for Tax Season, that doesn't help!

Did my last PT session this morning!!! I like my PT guy, but … :) Nice to be on my own again, and I'll keep doing the exercises.

This'll get some of your goats. I've had to turn up my thermostat this winter; that has been quite the convenience in the recent cold snap.

My office is heated with waste oil; I have no other heat in the building. I let the gas furnace die from old age, and I even turned off the gas meter. The cause for my wasteful ways is that I have accumulated too much oil and need to dispose of it. If I fail to take oil from my benefactors, they might find another source for their disposal.

WTF! I gotta turn the heat up in the winter to remain economical. (And yes! The electric bill does go up a bit when you burn more oil)

Especially if you're a Consumers Energy gas customer! Fire took a NG compressor offline. They're asking people to dial back t-stats to 65*F.
Never seen are thermostat above 65. Had -5 this morning and the house was at 68 which is normal. Above 70 and I'm ready to open windows.

Especially if you're a Consumers Energy gas customer! Fire took a NG compressor offline. They're asking people to dial back t-stats to 65*F.

It ain’t no joke either. If people don’t listen and conserve gas we are literally going to run out of natural gas until it’s fixed.

People will straight up die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It ain’t no joke either. If people don’t listen and conserve gas we are literally going to run out of natural gas until it’s fixed.

People will straight up die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm doing my part :chainsaw::chop::blob2:.
Shame all those BTU's just rotting in the river valley, ash galore in there.
Doesn't sound good, but the warmup this weekend should help.
My wife got an alert on here phone last night saying to turn your thermostat back, now we know why.
I would, but it doesn't have a battery in it so I don't even know what it's set at, been that way since 2010 when we bought the place :cheers:.

This'll get some of your goats. I've had to turn up my thermostat this winter; that has been quite the convenience in the recent cold snap.

My office is heated with waste oil; I have no other heat in the building. I let the gas furnace die from old age, and I even turned off the gas meter. The cause for my wasteful ways is that I have accumulated too much oil and need to dispose of it. If I fail to take oil from my benefactors, they might find another source for their disposal.

WTF! I gotta turn the heat up in the winter to remain economical. (And yes! The electric bill does go up a bit when you burn more oil)
You're gonna have to take that to the Scrounging Waste Oil thread :laughing:.
Good for you, whatever works. Personally I would only burn on occasion if I had NG, I'd just do tree work and cut/split to sell.

built a "welding hood" over the stove to grab all the heat I could from the stove & focus it upstairs. Made a HUGE difference upstairs. 62 in the house. Walkin around in sandals with no socks and no carharts sweating. I'll sleep good tonight.

Attachments

• 20190130_170449.jpg
    20190130_170449.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 20190130_170509.jpg
    20190130_170509.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 38
Cold, what cold? I cut this wood last summer during the heat wave ( 30 C or 86 F ) and today ( -16 C or 3 F) threw some into the owb. View attachment 700966 View attachment 700968 View attachment 700969
Not sure whether the title for the first picture should be "will you throw the stick already" or we'll leave a light on for you" :lol:.
Looks great, nice pictures:picture:.
Here's a few I took yesterday some from the house and some from when I was out scrounging :cool:.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2W6xNmg78Rim2SZv9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ao8quZLEhdaaMCkDA
Saw a couple bald eagles perched in some trees over a section of the river that wasn't frozen in Ada(next town west of us).
This was one of my favorites, that water is so "hot" it's steaming :havingarest:.
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.16.13 PM.png

built a "welding hood" over the stove to grab all the heat I could from the stove & focus it upstairs. Made a HUGE difference upstairs. 62 in the house. Walkin around in sandals with no socks and no carharts sweating. I'll sleep good tonight.
SHUT THE DOOR! :laugh:
Gonna need to put some sand on the floor :havingarest: :happy:.

Too cold for the saw
83e3bfb5da6c20684b7f8b35425ceac0.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that dog is gonna get us in trouble with the pet police at some point. She loves it outside and it's a hassle trying to get her to stay in if I'm outside. And she chews every piece of wood she can get a hold of. She can open all our lever lock door handles too which is really handy at night when she opens the outside shop door just to make sure no one is in there. The door will stay open and the heat will start cranking. They have a doggie door but she figures she should just open the human door instead.

So, I looked at the sawdust pile this arvo
IMG_20190201_173158.jpg

And the contrasting colours of the two different gum species I have been milling gave me an idea. A wee while ago I made my first incra style breadboard. Well, as is the supersize nature of this job I'm thinking how about do an incra style table? With real chunky turned legs. So, out from the blonde ambition fastigata log came some 8x8's and two inch stock for the laminations.

IMG_20190201_173143.jpg
I'll have to cut some 8x8's and more two inch stock from the next saligna log but just how I can ever season that without it cracking is unknown. But for now I just put an offcut from whole lotta Rosie alongside blonde ambition to check the contrast.
IMG_20190201_173107.jpg

I think it could come out very sexy but is a few years of seasoning away from happening.

But for now, I'm generating a fair bit of waste to feed Kermit (bilke S3)
IMG_20190201_174728.jpg

Latest posts

Back