Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful dancing around that edge @KiwiBro!
On the winch I just installed the winch itself at 8,000 pound capacity on the first wrap of the drum is the weakest link of the recovery gear set up. Next is the cable at between 9 & 10,000 pounds. Next is the winch to truck mount at 12,000 pounds (though that's a little subjective given my welding ability :eek:) There was actually a little thought given to these "planned failure" points.

Winch capacity drops as the layer of cable away from the drum increases. If your pulling from the 1st layer of cable with a 3t winch and you double or triple the pull with snatch blocks the "edge of disingration" (I like that term! :) ) might rise up quickly. Know where it is and be careful.
thanks. Read you loud and clear. Winch clutch is the weak point here. My previous smaller tractor would stall but not Nemo. Next fail point will probably be the webbing slings that attach a block. Also very important to have the winch lined up in direction of pull because the dozer blade that transfers the load off the 3ph and anchors the tractor can dig in pretty deep. If one cnr of it took most of the load it's asking a lot of one of the link arms not to mention the far front cnr of the tractor gets rather lightweight quite quickly. Nemo has great brakes but without the dozer blade on the winch they are no match for the loads involved.

Really should get some pics of this butt log cresting the hill if it actually makes it that far. Am not sure uniforest or kioti had that I'm mind when designing their products.

For small limbing, pruning, don't care about throw in the back of the truck just in case saws. I use poulan/craftsman saws. I can pick them up used for not much more than a loop of Stihl Picco. They are light and the ones I have had all run good and started easily with good maintenance. When a log rolls over on one or the chain brake spring goes boing or the adjuster takes a crap, I just go find another one. Not super noisy even with a muffler mod.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
good idea thanks. Will keep eyes peeled locally.

Gonna have to sell the farm to keep it lol.
I've heard it said if you want to make a little money logging you start out with a lot, I think farming is similar :eek:.

Sweet!
Hopefully in my lifetime we'll see farmers and all primary producers compensated fairly for their time, money, risks involved. Been too much of a disconnect for too long. Something has to change, starting with our priorities.

Have a 4t PTO winch on Nemo but it's probably not pulling more than 3t before clutch slips. It's impossible to even move a log with a direct pull. Two blocks gave me 3x mechanical advantage which got the smallest red dragon log to just below the top of the slope but that was it. But the third block=4x3ish t = 12ish t pull got that and the second, bigger log to the landing. But that's maxing out the winch so I'm not sure how I'll go tomorrow when trying to get the last (butt log) up. These aren't massive logs, but the heaviest I've ever skull dragged up a crazy steep slope like this. Really surprised how well the first two went. But even with three blocks, everything feels right on the edge of disintegration.

Thanks for the recipro idea. I have one and some long blades but might be painfully slow in the bigger cuts. Might have to keep using 261 around mill just leave all trimming to end of the day and do a batch.

Trouble is the 261, being somewhat modified, is really too loud on urban jobs. The last time, on perhaps 6 toothpicks in
Suburbia I got told off and threatened with a shut down. So, still needing something for those gigs but probably another 6 months until might be back in the concrete jungle pruning trees to ground level.

My usual pull is with the truck on a 2x1 (1 snatch block) advantage, next step is to 4x1 with 2 snatchblocks. Never gone beyond that. 4x1 is bad enought - pull 40' of cable to move the log 10'. Broke a lot of tackle with the 4x1.

Coupla pics of my stash. The wood stacked along this 4 1/2 ft page wire fence is for next winter. The wood in the big pile is for 20/21. Probably at least 2 full cord in That pile, maybe 2 1/2. Small stack of rounds just waiting for me to pull the splitter out. Might have to wait a while.
37a5427408e6de8e66b4a4f67339295a.jpg
e3ae5229bd8f2b85349d362a3a5c64b0.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
And some worry bout 2 inches............

This probably won’t fall in the good idea category, any way to noodle the log to cut down on the weight?:crazy:
Having got so close but yet so far this morning with three blocks, and with the log now parked in the chute 6' from the top like a beached whale that's about the only option left. It doesn't matter that my go-to noodling bar was turned into a noodle a week ago and the replacement isnt here yet, because 42” ain't even close to getting through this thing. Only other bar I've up here is a 72" off an old slabber so that's worth a shot this arvo. will have toake up an aux' oiler of some sort. Am not looking forward to ripping the log on a steep slope that's almost impossible to stand upright on.

Other option is just leave it there and mill the two logs on the landing and hope I get rained off so can grab the last and fourth block I have. It's a big don't argue block that's way overkill but with that I'm putting about 15t of hurt on the log so will be enough I feel. If only I had it here, but have never needed it in 5 years. Until now. But am out if big shackles and slings too. Will have to measure my slings. Is not often I need to join them to make it around a log. But if I leave the log in the chute until get more gear here, it's unlikely I can get anything else to the landing as it's taking up the whole chute and then some, like a school bus parked across handicapped parking spaces. It looks just plain wrong like whoever is driving that log might be a sandwich short of a picnic to park it there.

It looks just plain wrong like whoever is driving that log might be a sandwich short of a picnic
Like Dahmer said, maybe it's time to remove a slice or two :sweet:.
At least you will be able to use the slope/gravity to your advantage to cut a slab or two off it.

Like Dahmer said, maybe it's time to remove a slice or two :sweet:.
At least you will be able to use the slope/gravity to your advantage to cut a slab or two off it.
Just checked, don't have 404 rims, 3hr return trip to buy one and a few links to make chain fit 395. The universe doesn't like me today.

Just checked, don't have 404 rims, 3hr return trip to buy one and a few links to make chain fit 395. The universe doesn't like me today.
Some days are that way aren't they :rare2:.
Here's what I did today. It's a pretty good sized elm, the 28 on my 576 wouldn't reach through it, it was short by about 4". I used the skidding winch to encourage it to go where we wanted it, they were very concerned with it going the opposite way and hitting the high voltage wires :surprised3:, but I wasn't :cool:.
I like the large black locust stump, look at that back cut, the "farmers cut".
Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.07.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.08.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.06.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.06.39 PM.png

Delivered 1/3 cord of green oak for $90 today. Really need something better suited to deliver in.

Slightly off topic but looking for a decent truck. Not brand biased, but have always been a GM guy. Looking for a 1999-2013 body style Sierra/Silverado 2500 4 door 4x4 but man, the prices are CRAZY! Trying to find something with decent miles is a hard find. Seems like every truck I see has 150k+ miles and they want 8-10k. Not opposed to Dodge or Ford either but again, prices seem super steep!

I basically want something decent to haul wood and deliver, can fit the wife and two little ones behind me, and 4x4 for winter, the beach/surf fishing. I’ve been searching CL and Facebook Marketplace for a while now. Am I missing anywhere else to search?

Attachments

• 52B90F51-895F-41E0-8EA9-20F49F760EDD.jpeg
    52B90F51-895F-41E0-8EA9-20F49F760EDD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 2E39DB3B-A2AC-4490-9904-A3D815CC78E6.jpeg
    2E39DB3B-A2AC-4490-9904-A3D815CC78E6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
WoOT!!

Ranga 1.jpg

:happybanana:

Got wind of a never to be repeated deal on a brand new 2018 plated Ranga XLS ute yesterday, 24kms on the clock. Took for a test drive at 9am, put deposit on it at 9.30am. Get a few add-ons applied and pick up in a week or so. 12.5G off the RRP, couldn't let it go unscrounged. 3.2L 5cyl TD, 3500kg towing capacity. Now all I need is a decent trailer and every tree in a 50km radius had better look out. Run, Forest.

Latest posts

Back