Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys, something is just wrong here. You keep getting smaller and smaller saws with smaller and smaller chains. 20-30 years ago, I was trying to find a roots style super charger that would run off a small chain drive inside the clutch bell, so it would spool up fast and then have the clutch kick in. I wanted to design a 1" chain that would cut through a 40" Oak log with 8-10 revolutions of the chain. Before long you will have saws so small you will be able to cut the stems off of leaves!:)
download.jpeg.jpgTheres a good chance one of these shows up shortly. It's only 40cc bigger then the 7910.

You guys, something is just wrong here. You keep getting smaller and smaller saws with smaller and smaller chains. 20-30 years ago, I was trying to find a roots style super charger that would run off a small chain drive inside the clutch bell, so it would spool up fast and then have the clutch kick in. I wanted to design a 1" chain that would cut through a 40" Oak log with 8-10 revolutions of the chain. Before long you will have saws so small you will be able to cut the stems off of leaves!:)
That's one of the contests at GTG's. Leaf stem trimming. Takes a a steady hand.:crazy2:

Yeah I like burning it, I can cut wood that burns hotter and lasts longer but I don't like to use it too much as it's hard on fireboxs) burns em out quickly if used a lot and ran hot. The pepper puts out good heat and is easier to split and lighter to lift which for me is important as it's hard going trying to split box and lifting big rounds is near impossible due to the weight of em.
I like the dead standing or on the ground if it's not rotting. Here's some hard maple/sugar maple I burned last night since we were talking about it.
Pretty sure the sugar maple and the peppermint are both "sweet" burning woods :sweet:.
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.23.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.30.00 PM.png

Probably back to the original settlers that homesteaded the land back in the 1800s. BL is non-native here. I harvested almost 10 cord of it from that one farmstead. Killed by the Locust Borer.
I was thinking of that when you posted it, but it wouldn't have been that old I don't think :surprised3:.
One of my favorite woods to burn and work with.

Can tou guus help me ID this?

Iv cut 2 if these down so far. Very white wood. Easy to cut. Long strait grain. SUPER easy to split. Easiest iv ever experienced. I feel like I could split it with my hand like the guy in the Geico commercial[emoji23][emoji23]. Half of a lazy axe swing will split a pc 23” in diameter right down the middle.

Both were 60’ tall and about 22”-23” diameter at the bottom. The picture makes the bark look way more green. Went outside in the natural light the bark looks very gray. Environment is in my woods, moist soil that drains well. Though close to my wetlands.

I’m wondering if this is a beech tree that has a beech bark disease. Looks a little moldy. The bark is very smooth with no furrows. Very thin.

Have not burned any yet

Im in L.P. Michigan

Thank you much guys

43f89df7c2a9910e715abed6f91d6c0f.jpg

4932b177acc4a7c36090144f6d18c0c9.jpg
69a0704a4bf9d63954df24fb0d1e0d2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say with authority , not Spruce :)

Can tou guus help me ID this?

Iv cut 2 if these down so far. Very white wood. Easy to cut. Long strait grain. SUPER easy to split. Easiest iv ever experienced. I feel like I could split it with my hand like the guy in the Geico commercial[emoji23][emoji23]. Half of a lazy axe swing will split a pc 23” in diameter right down the middle.

Both were 60’ tall and about 22”-23” diameter at the bottom. The picture makes the bark look way more green. Went outside in the natural light the bark looks very gray. Environment is in my woods, moist soil that drains well. Though close to my wetlands.

I’m wondering if this is a beech tree that has a beech bark disease. Looks a little moldy. The bark is very smooth with no furrows. Very thin.

Have not burned any yet

Im in L.P. Michigan

Thank you much guys

43f89df7c2a9910e715abed6f91d6c0f.jpg

4932b177acc4a7c36090144f6d18c0c9.jpg
69a0704a4bf9d63954df24fb0d1e0d2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bass wood, good for shade while splitting on them extra hot summer days!

Spent a bit of time burning up some 2 stroke. 60 logs 13'4" and cut to 32" for my owb, about 300 rounds. 160 logs 13'4" cut to 16" to sell, about 1600 rounds. The 16" ones I cut last weekend are buried under the snow.
My back and wrists are sore.
How come the piles look so small in pictures?
Also cut a load of trees down to plant a seed for the next batch of logs in my yard. Now that these logs are all cut up I can leave the rounds sit until it's wet out or warmer to split them, don't need them until next fall. I can spend the rest of the winter in the bush cutting down trees and hauling home to stack up. It's going to look full in my yard soon my buddy is also going to start hauling logs to my place to store them. I have a bunch of rotten poplar logs to use as bunks to keep everything off the ground.
20190218_165016.jpg 20190218_112747.jpg 20190218_112738.jpg 20190217_173617.jpg 20190218_165006.jpg 20190218_165006.jpg

How come the piles look so small in pictures?
Looks great, that's a lot of work :yes:.
Try not holding the phone so high when you take the pictures, and if you want them to look even bigger hold it down by the ground lol.
Did you get the 441 together yet, that's a smooth runner if the vibrations are getting to you, little heavier than a 60cc saw though.

Chipper1, it's apart and waiting for the new stuff to come in. I have a few other saws I can use. I usually have two saws sitting there when I'm cutting rounds. I use a 460 for the big stuff and my new 261 for the smaller ones. Using the 261 gives my old arms a rest . I can put 4 or 5 logs on my forks at a time, I mark each one with an aluminum marking bar with paint for length, grab whichever saw, cut the rounds, set the saw back down, jump on tractor to push the rounds up then go get the next forkful of 4 or 5 logs. I leave the saws running to save starting them each time. Only shut them off to refuel and reoil and new chains. Sharp chains cut a lot faster and easier on the saws. I have carpel tunnel so that doesn't help any, also had a bad 3 wheeler accident when I was young and they rebuilt my left elbow with screws and some stainless. The hardware was removed years ago but it still crunches pretty good and that much chainsaw action doesn't help much. My wife has very little sympathy for me, says I'm my own worst enemy. I did manage to play a quick game of shinny with the grand kids between sharpening chains.
20190216_095859.jpg

Chipper1, it's apart and waiting for the new stuff to come in. I have a few other saws I can use. I usually have two saws sitting there when I'm cutting rounds. I use a 460 for the big stuff and my new 261 for the smaller ones. Using the 261 gives my old arms a rest . I can put 4 or 5 logs on my forks at a time, I mark each one with an aluminum marking bar with paint for length, grab whichever saw, cut the rounds, set the saw back down, jump on tractor to push the rounds up then go get the next forkful of 4 or 5 logs. I leave the saws running to save starting them each time. Only shut them off to refuel and reoil and new chains. Sharp chains cut a lot faster and easier on the saws. I have carpel tunnel so that doesn't help any, also had a bad 3 wheeler accident when I was young and they rebuilt my left elbow with screws and some stainless. The hardware was removed years ago but it still crunches pretty good and that much chainsaw action doesn't help much. My wife has very little sympathy for me, says I'm my own worst enemy. I did manage to play a quick game of shinny with the grand kids between sharpening chains.
View attachment 716657
Good deal, it will be a lot smoother than that ole rubber mount, and have close to the same power.
A 50cc saw is my favorite class for work, but the 70's are fun to play with, I won't last to many tanks running a 70.
Those old injuries just keep coming back :cry:.
They got their game on stances and ready to:buttkick:, lucky for you it wasn't a real game or they would have taken you out :surprised3:.

Latest posts

Back