Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 716302 Look what I dragged kicking and screaming out of it's dark hiding place. Been no rain for 3 days so I ran up and got the rest of the wood I had split at my spot.

I don't mind the MS250's they are nice and lite. We had one a while back that had issues with being re started after it ran for a bit, I think we had to use the choke to get it going again after only being switched off a few mins (can't quite remember now) do you have any issues like or similar to that with yours?

I think I like peppermint, that looks good :sweet:.

Yeah I like burning it, I can cut wood that burns hotter and lasts longer but I don't like to use it too much as it's hard on fireboxs) burns em out quickly if used a lot and ran hot. The pepper puts out good heat and is easier to split and lighter to lift which for me is important as it's hard going trying to split box and lifting big rounds is near impossible due to the weight of em.

I don't mind the MS250's they are nice and lite. We had one a while back that had issues with being re started after it ran for a bit, I think we had to use the choke to get it going again after only being switched off a few mins (can't quite remember now) do you have any issues like or similar to that with yours?
I've never had problems with restarts. Used to have problems with the wire for the off switch coming loose and having to choke it dead. Fixed that only other problem I have is it's a turd with the 18" 325 setup and I'm not willing to spend $100 to convert it to picco. When the nut I need for the 490 shows up I'll probly let it crawl back in it's dark hole and forget it again.

I've never had problems with restarts. Used to have problems with the wire for the off switch coming loose and having to choke it dead. Fixed that only other problem I have is it's a turd with the 18" 325 setup and I'm not willing to spend $100 to convert it to picco. When the nut I need for the 490 shows up I'll probly let it crawl back in it's dark hole and forget it again.
i have picco bars and chains collecting dust up here. maybe even a sprocket. i'll look this morning.

i have picco bars and chains collecting dust up here. maybe even a sprocket. i'll look this morning.

Yeah I don't think I'd run a 18" bar on one either, a 14" would suit it better I reckon. This one a mate fixed for a customber was weird and it seems a common enough problem from what he was saying, I just can't remember if we had to choke it or if it was flooding after it was switched off, either way it was a PITA other than that issue it ran strong in the wood for what it was, I liked how lite it was compared to my 029super.

Yeah I don't think I'd run a 18" bar on one either, a 14" would suit it better I reckon. This one a mate fixed for a customber was weird and it seems a common enough problem from what he was saying, I just can't remember if we had to choke it or if it was flooding after it was switched off, either way it was a PITA other than that issue it ran strong in the wood for what it was, I liked how lite it was compared to my 029super.
iv'e run the 16"P on my 023 and 250 since new with no problems. Ran James 250 with the .325/18 and just not enough ooomph for that B/C combo.

Long time no talk...

We have a LOT of snow now but temps have been mild. I mean it’s -19 now but will be up to +12 later. And although it’s relatively cold, it’s only been subzero for a few hours so nothing like the bone chilling cold of a few weeks ago. We are into late winter so the sun has more power now so it feels good as long as you can stay out of the wind. It was about 15 on Saturday and I was outside grilling in a sweatshirt.

All I can say about the snow is, I have been able to see my ground all winter, a couple of dusting and thats it. Actually the next few weeks are when we usually get most of our snow. As cold as it was the last few weeks, I think I have burnt less wood this winter than I can remember before. I have about 6 cords or so ready to burn, maybe it wont spoil before next winter. If it will stop raining, I plan on overseeding my lawn next week. If all the rain we have had had of been snow, My house would probably be buried 6ft under. I was mowing my grass this time last year and mowed every week until around the first of Dec.

iv'e run the 16"P on my 023 and 250 since new with no problems. Ran James 250 with the .325/18 and just not enough ooomph for that B/C combo.

Yeah the low profile Picco would be a better option for sure, I can't remember what B/C was on the 250 we were testing, I assume whatever the factory setup was at the time.

I'm thinking of putting a 20" bar on the 394 - that would hunt through the wood like nothing LOL

You guys, something is just wrong here. You keep getting smaller and smaller saws with smaller and smaller chains. 20-30 years ago, I was trying to find a roots style super charger that would run off a small chain drive inside the clutch bell, so it would spool up fast and then have the clutch kick in. I wanted to design a 1" chain that would cut through a 40" Oak log with 8-10 revolutions of the chain. Before long you will have saws so small you will be able to cut the stems off of leaves!:)

You guys, something is just wrong here. You keep getting smaller and smaller saws with smaller and smaller chains. 20-30 years ago, I was trying to find a roots style super charger that would run off a small chain drive inside the clutch bell, so it would spool up fast and then have the clutch kick in. I wanted to design a 1" chain that would cut through a 40" Oak log with 8-10 revolutions of the chain. Before long you will have saws so small you will be able to cut the stems off of leaves!:)
And here I am considering boreing a case to accept a bigger bore cyl just so I can have a big saw on a light frame. If I can get a 90cc saw on a 10lb frame, I would go for it.

Back