Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 10 racks, or ricks that hold a facecord each, under my deck. Two rows of five racks. I usually use about 8 of them per season so I have 2 leftover which puts those two right into January-February the following year. When I stack those back two racks, I make sure it's ash, elm, maple etc. Anyways, due to our two weeks of autumn and straight into winter with some cold days in December, I am past the February wood and into March's which contains a lot of Poplar. It's been mild this past week so it's easy to heat the house. I've been able to get good stovetop temps and burn time out of it, I just have to load more in. Last night was -4C and normally 2 good chunks of ash would suffice, I used 4 pieces of Poplar. Same result, warm house and coals in the morning. Conclusion; Poplar is good wood, you just need more of it. Plus it's super easy to split.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Any wood that's easy to split is good wood to me. I don't care if I have to burn more of it to keep warm, I'd happily do that than bang away on a log splitter for hours after hours.:D
\

I want to see more of that truck / truck cover in the last pic.
Edit: on closer inspection that might be a carport. Damn these old eyes! ;)

Heres a side on view mate - it's made out of a heavy duty Mesh shade cloth type thing - and you can get a more heavy duty version than that which has webbing all through it. As you can see they have eyelets and a stretchy cord through those and the yellow hooks for attaching it all to the ute.

nUtS1sOh.jpg

I just park in the back of the lot far away from everybody else
I had to pick up tags at DMV for my knew truck. Since I’ve had both knees replaced I can get handicap tags, but I don’t. That’s where most of the biggest pieces of junk park, all half sideways. So I go to the very end of the lot. I get out of my truck and start inside and this guy with a teenage girl star practicing backing up next to my brand new truck. I went back and stood in the spot next to my truck. I guess they got the idea, they moved over a couple spaces. I got half way to the door and they were back next to my truck. I walked back and got my cell out and took a pic of my truck, walked in front of their car and squatted down, took a picture of their tag. When I got to the building they were five six spaces over.

View attachment 717983 View attachment 717984 View attachment 717985 Looks pretty good after a little simple green and paper towel wipe down. Now I need to bolt it to the bench and learn how to use it.

They over engineered that too the hilt mate, bloody norah she's built like a tank.:D she's a rippa of a find though just the same and no doubt will see you and the next 20 generations after you too:D

I'll stick to my Stihl 2in1 though, I find it much quicker and easier to sharpen a chain with than the Electric Sharpeners I've got.

I like it James! Pretty hard to find them second hand...... so you suck. I was tempted to buy a new USG last year but ended up with a tecomec. The USG is bloody expensive here in Aus, like $1400
To me it looks like the vice and stopper are way way better on the Stihl unit. Well done.

They over engineered that too the hilt mate, bloody norah she's built like a tank.:D she's a rippa of a find though just the same and no doubt will see you and the next 20 generations after you too:D

I'll stick to my Stihl 2in1 though, I find it much quicker and easier to sharpen a chain with than the Electric Sharpeners I've got.
This won't replace my files. But I have tendency to loose my angle after awhile so I'll use it to get things lined up again. Also fixed a hard rocked chain with a file sucks.

I like it James! Pretty hard to find them second hand...... so you suck. I was tempted to buy a new USG last year but ended up with a tecomec. The USG is bloody expensive here in Aus, like $1400
To me it looks like the vice and stopper are way way better on the Stihl unit. Well done.
So $100 wasn't to bad?

This won't replace my files. But I have tendency to loose my angle after awhile so I'll use it to get things lined up again. Also fixed a hard rocked chain with a file sucks.

So $100 wasn't to bad?

Fair enough James - it’s annoying when you find a rock or metal. I’m getting better at avoiding them thank god.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a residence with a downed tree in the back yard. I stopped by a couple of times in my travels with no answer at the door. I tried 1 more time yesterday afternoon, and success.... The owner needs help removing a good sized mulberry (I estimate 20+ inches DBH). He heats with wood too, but doesn't have the necessary equipment to handle big wood, so anything over about 10" is mine to keep.

Now, the question becomes how to safely cut a wind blown tree with the roots still attached and resting on its limbs (other than "very carefully")? Do I separate from the roots first, then cut as I normally would? Or should I cut the supporting limbs to get it on the ground, finish limbing it, THEN separate the trunk from the roots?

Back