Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a residence with a downed tree in the back yard. I stopped by a couple of times in my travels with no answer at the door. I tried 1 more time yesterday afternoon, and success.... The owner needs help removing a good sized mulberry (I estimate 20+ inches DBH). He heats with wood too, but doesn't have the necessary equipment to handle big wood, so anything over about 10" is mine to keep.

Now, the question becomes how to safely cut a wind blown tree with the roots still attached and resting on its limbs (other than "very carefully")? Do I separate from the roots first, then cut as I normally would? Or should I cut the supporting limbs to get it on the ground, finish limbing it, THEN separate the trunk from the roots?
not sure what my or your program is later today Bobby. (after lunch) might be able to come over and take a look-see. let me know

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a residence with a downed tree in the back yard. I stopped by a couple of times in my travels with no answer at the door. I tried 1 more time yesterday afternoon, and success.... The owner needs help removing a good sized mulberry (I estimate 20+ inches DBH). He heats with wood too, but doesn't have the necessary equipment to handle big wood, so anything over about 10" is mine to keep.

Now, the question becomes how to safely cut a wind blown tree with the roots still attached and resting on its limbs (other than "very carefully")? Do I separate from the roots first, then cut as I normally would? Or should I cut the supporting limbs to get it on the ground, finish limbing it, THEN separate the trunk from the roots?
Hold my beer and watch this. But in all seriousness if you want a hand let me know.

I've done them both ways. And it can be sketchy. I do prefer to stump it first because I have seen a tree stand back up after most of the mass keeping it in the ground has been cut off. Nothing like watching your running chainsaw take a ride then sit idling away 12' in the air! Cutting the stump off a downed tree can also mean a vice like bar pinch. So I like to do a relief cut from the underside first and then wedges from the top as soon as I've cut deep enough. Sometimes the stump and roots wants to come towards the tree as well, they can be hard to read and a second set of eyes never hurts. Good luck, take pics.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I've done them both ways. Just have to assess the situation and see which will work better. If the tree could stand back up do you want to try and fell it or would it be better to cut it at the root ball and let the root ball fall back into the hole.
Is the home owner going to wait for you to start on it.
Take a few pictures if you think about it.
It might even be a good thing to take a few then sit in the truck and look at them, you may see something you don't when just looking at it.

I've done them both ways. And it can be sketchy. I do prefer to stump it first because I have seen a tree stand back up after most of the mass keeping it in the ground has been cut off. Nothing like watching your running chainsaw take a ride then sit idling away 12' in the air! Cutting the stump off a downed tree can also mean a vice like bar pinch. So I like to do a relief cut from the underside first and then wedges from the top as soon as I've cut deep enough. Sometimes the stump and roots wants to come towards the tree as well, they can be hard to read and a second set of eyes never hurts. Good luck, take pics.

I'd cut the rootball off first , watch for any tension or roll when cutting and then work up the tree into firewood .

I've done them both ways. Just have to assess the situation and see which will work better. If the tree could stand back up do you want to try and fell it or would it be better to cut it at the root ball and let the root ball fall back into the hole.
It might even be a good thing to take a few then sit in the truck and look at them, you may see something you don't when just looking at it.
yep,yep and yep.

Heres a few pictures of the wood splitting area yesterday. I added over a cord with the trailer of elm and all the cleanup I did to get the trailer set up.
I like to have the splitter turned a little more so it's parallel to the back of the trailer, but it was a little tight in there.
IMG_20190223_112710249.jpg
Looking at the pile from the front you can handle tell I did anything lol.
IMG_20190223_112516308.jpg

This is my concern - having the tree stand back up.

Thinking about it more, perhaps it would be best to remove the supporting limbs closest to the roots, then cut it free from the roots. This will put more downward force on the roots and the base of the trunk. Then I know for sure where the forces are - compression on top, tension on the bottom, cut and wedge accordingly. I'll try to get a picture of it, maybe tomorrow on my way to work.

Since it was such a nice day here yesterday we went over to the pit to fix the scrounged trailer .
VR7wnVz.jpg

eCKbZ3x.jpg

It now has a new tongue .
Since we had some time we decided to get some Donk wood .
There's some dead standing maple in there , somewhere lol
A1TIKIl.jpg

4TJDTxy.jpg

3UySVRW.jpg

OsVsgOm.jpg

Xkx3NPY.jpg

0UAZvx1.jpg

Another load added to the pile :)

rarefish, why doesn't the DMV have 4 or 5 old wrecks parked in their lot for people to practice beside. When I did my truck test the Asians from Toronto were in the lot practicing parking beside the instructors new cars. I'm sure they get hit often.
Actually, that's a good idea. They used to put fatal wrecks in front of the high schools as an example of drinking and driving. They could put cell/texting wrecks in a few spaces to let rookies practice in. Next time I go to DMV I'm going to ask?

This is my concern - having the tree stand back up.

Thinking about it more, perhaps it would be best to remove the supporting limbs closest to the roots, then cut it free from the roots. This will put more downward force on the roots and the base of the trunk. Then I know for sure where the forces are - compression on top, tension on the bottom, cut and wedge accordingly. I'll try to get a picture of it, maybe tomorrow on my way to work.
If you start cutting it at the top then put a wedge in the cut as soon as possible you will save yourself from getting pinched(unless the tree has stress cracks in it :surprised3:). This will also let you know whether the root ball is going to flip back into the hole or not, if it opens up it may flip back in if it pinches down on the wedge you know it's not going back in the hole.

Bobby, all of the above, and when I'm concerned about getting pinched … have a second saw … I like using plastic wedges … and I'll often start 3 cuts right next to each other, going down a little at a time in each one, to help prevent getting pinched before you see it coming. Generally works real well.

Well ,,,,

kuzgULS.jpg

Not really a big sky day but it was nice and warm at 23F so off to the woods it was !
We did some more roadside scrounging to add to the pile .
I figured that the rabbit trail might lead me to some maple and another game of Donk eeKong ;)
pZpYyNh.jpg

Darn wasqwally wabbits run real low , I had to open up the trail to get to the wood lol
nF31fP1.jpg

5vsEUPl.jpg

We cut up a bit of the dry tops and drug some home
xzzJ2gx.jpg

rSqDbqd.jpg

1JECGhe.jpg

Some of that stuff is in the furnace , a nice heat it is :)

Listen to everything everyone told you. Try to read a blow down can be a nightmare. Had a 16” tree stand up on me so fast I had to figure what happened and when I did my knees shook. Wedges are a must. Rather stick the saw cutting off the rootball than trying to figure out how to shut off a running saw 15’ in the air.

Anybody else have nasty wind today? We left church, got something to eat then went to Rural King. In that time temps dropped like a rock. Went to church it was 53, got home it was 40 and still dropping. Winds are 20-40 mph with gusts up to 60. Might get more trees if the ground ever dries up. Neighbor just called, a medium cherry came down in their back yard. #1.

Anybody else have nasty wind today? We left church, got something to eat then went to Rural King. In that time temps dropped like a rock. Went to church it was 53, got home it was 40 and still dropping. Winds are 20-40 mph with gusts up to 60. Might get more trees if the ground ever dries up. Neighbor just called, a medium cherry came down in their back yard. #1.
40 MPH gusts here. Hope to get some trees that are downed from the winds. :D

Yup. Wind up, temps down. Fire burning, cozy home.

just started picking up good about an hour ago.

Latest posts

Back