Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a 1911 for the top of page 1911.
M1911A1.png

Fubared my new sugi 42" bar. From now on no more big tree drops unless it's a no-brainer. At least until I get some serious rope and good jacks. Trouble is, I was eying up the next big one that doesn't require manipulation off its lay and... Even the new 42" bar mkIII that hasn't arrived yet may not make it through from both sides.

Might have to use the 72”. I didn't think there'd come a day where a 32" bar seems small.

These big heavy gums are kicking my arse. I still cannot quite believe how much weight is in big gum trees. These make pine seem like balsa.

Your Welcome!:laugh: I cut some wood the other day and I don't know what it is, it's got some weight to it but that's not the problem the problem is it's a ***** to split with it's twisted grain, I tried with the axe and 20 good hits later and I hardly made any impact so it's getting split with the chainsaw now!:D

Going to look at this 2008 2500 on Sunday. 79k miles.Crew cab, long bed, listed at $17,000 at the dealer. Why so cheap? Is the color (dark cherry metallic) and long bed/ CC a turn off to a lot of customers?

I’m sure I’d have no issue filling up the bed with scrounged wood:)

Attachments

• 83D0E86D-42B2-4496-B3A9-904E9865EF61.png
    83D0E86D-42B2-4496-B3A9-904E9865EF61.png
    755.1 KB · Views: 31
Had to dig out the door to the corncrib to get this mailbox. It's a little dusty but WTF. Daughters are already talking paint... Plows been hard on em this year. The old one will get rehabbed. Gotta have a spare!

This is the roads condition.

Your Welcome!:laugh: I cut some wood the other day and I don't know what it is, it's got some weight to it but that's not the problem the problem is it's a ***** to split with it's twisted grain, I tried with the axe and 20 good hits later and I hardly made any impact so it's getting split with the chainsaw now!:D
Is that the stuff you posted a picture of earlier? I feel your pain. It sucks when the grain is on about a 40 degree spiral or more.

There's a log like that on the landing here. I bucked a few rounds off it last year and was thinking something must be wrong with my chain BC it wasn't producing chips just dust like I was ripping a slab. That was just BC the grain was so spiralled I was actually ripping it when cross cutting. About the first 6” inside the bark had spiralled grain and would not split. Inside that it was fine to split but just not worth the effort. One day I'll rip some slabs from that log and will probably produce normal looking chips. But not anytime soon:)

Is that the stuff you posted a picture of earlier? I feel your pain. It sucks when the grain is on about a 40 degree spiral or more.

There's a log like that on the landing here. I bucked a few rounds off it last year and was thinking something must be wrong with my chain BC it wasn't producing chips just dust like I was ripping a slab. That was just BC the grain was so spiralled I was actually ripping it when cross cutting. About the first 6” inside the bark had spiralled grain and would not split. Inside that it was fine to split but just not worth the effort. One day I'll rip some slabs from that log and will probably produce normal looking chips. But not anytime soon:)

This was from a different place but might be the same sort of wood (gum of some sort I think) anyway it's got a twisted grain too (from the wind) which makes it a PITA to split and yes a lot of our wood produces more saw dust than chips which can be hard on filters (you need to clean em fairly often) - red gum is great for producing fine dust instead of chips!

Either way I'm sure this stuff will burn fine once I get it split (which will be done using the chainsaw):D

I like 1911's. But they are heavy, and most of the time single stack. I can get 16rnds in my G19 and paid atleast half for it as a decent 1911.
I have an XD so I'm not anti plastic gun. Also have a pocket 380 they both see carry time time also. I've been running a 1911 since I was old enough to buy my own pistol cost me 500 new and only ever needed recoil springs and a slide stop. I'd rather have a cheap 1911 that rattles like a can of rocks then a tight tolerance custom shop gun.

Debating a 9 mm vs. 45 acp rates right up there with creamsicle vs. smurf.
Theres no debate.

This was from a different place but might be the same sort of wood (gum of some sort I think) anyway it's got a twisted grain too (from the wind) which makes it a PITA to split and yes a lot of our wood produces more saw dust than chips which can be hard on filters (you need to clean em fairly often) - red gum is great for producing fine dust instead of chips!

Either way I'm sure this stuff will burn fine once I get it split (which will be done using the chainsaw):D
Snapped a pic this arvo. IIRC the wood was quite yellow. Buggered if I know what type of gum but like you mentioned I'm sure it burns just fine. Next best thing to spruce, they tell me, so ya know it has to be good.
IMG_20190301_191044.jpg

40 S+W for the win! (With hollow points of course, I'll give the 45 the edge with the military + FMJ)
The 40 fmj should do near the damage the 45 fmj does. My theory for that is every 40 fmj iv seen has a wide flat tip which will crush and tare it's way through causing more damage then same caliber with a round nose. I've seen deer shot with 45 ball and 255 grain hard cast flat point from the same G21 the difference is amazing. 9mm fmj hope your good a making CNS shots under pressure.

Had to dig out the door to the corncrib to get this mailbox. It's a little dusty but WTF. Daughters are already talking paint... Plows been hard on em this year. The old one will get rehabbed. Gotta have a spare!

This is the roads condition.

We had problems with the kids smashing them. I got a lolly column (4" steal tube filled with cement) and welded a plate on top. Picked up a mail box made out of diamond plate bolted that on. Next time they hit it there was a small mark on it and never happened again. Lasted for about 7 years till last year a truck must have clipped it, it really bent it up.

Back