Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James, the advantage a 45 acp has with FMJ is it is slow moving. As my Dad (a WW II Vet) used to say, "You can hit a guy in the hand with it, and it will knock him down". Faster bullets just punch right through.

10 mm is a great cartridge, but IMO more for hunting than for self defense. You need a longer action gun to fire it.

For concealed carry, my little Ruger ACP 380 is great, fits right in you pocket, you almost don't even know it is there. And remember, a little gun is better than no gun!

James, the advantage a 45 acp has with FMJ is it is slow moving. As my Dad (a WW II Vet) used to say, "You can hit a guy in the hand with it, and it will knock him down". Faster bullets just punch right through.

10 mm is a great cartridge, but IMO more for hunting than for self defense. You need a longer action gun to fire it.

For concealed carry, my little Ruger ACP 380 is great, fits right in you pocket, you almost don't even know it is there. And remember, a little gun is better than no gun!
Agreed - even a 25ACP beats throwing a rock, although you might have a better chance of hitting the target with the rock. I have a Beretta Tomcat in 32ACP. It's the gun I carry when I'm not carrying a gun.

40 short + weak???

If not a 45, 10mm FOR THE WIN.
Only way to get real 10mm is to load it your self. Otherwise your just paying for 40 long and overrated. Compare the original Norma loads to stuff on the shelf today and you quickly realize factory 10mm is over priced 40S&W loads.

All the reviews of the little Ruger LCP state they were surprised how well they were able to shoot it, for it's size. It only has to give you a short range hit.

Plus, I got it brand new, on sale at Gander Mtn, for $200 (they were coming out with a newer version). Can't beat it with a stick!
I have one of the little roger 380s. Surprisingly accurate for such a small gun. Will ring 4" steel plates at 25 yards if I do my part.

Fubared my new sugi 42" bar. From now on no more big tree drops unless it's a no-brainer. At least until I get some serious rope and good jacks. Trouble is, I was eying up the next big one that doesn't require manipulation off its lay and... Even the new 42" bar mkIII that hasn't arrived yet may not make it through from both sides.

Might have to use the 72”. I didn't think there'd come a day where a 32" bar seems small.

These big heavy gums are kicking my arse. I still cannot quite believe how much weight is in big gum trees. These make pine seem like balsa.
Kiwi, I Just bought a new 5/8 bull line, 150', 17,000 pound test. Was right at $200 USD.

Kiwi, I Just bought a new 5/8 bull line, 150', 17,000 pound test. Was right at $200 USD.
I was trying to scrounge a rope from the cell tower guys that have been working here the last 2 weeks. They told me the one they were using was close to $600. There were using it to haul new antennae up the tower.

We had problems with the kids smashing them. I got a lolly column (4" steal tube filled with cement) and welded a plate on top. Picked up a mail box made out of diamond plate bolted that on. Next time they hit it there was a small mark on it and never happened again. Lasted for about 7 years till last year a truck must have clipped it, it really bent it up.

Back about 30 years a guy did that after having his box ruined several times. A few days later he found it cut to pieces with torch.

Another snow day. Wife and kids were in school, I split some more oak. Really enjoying the isocore....

I was watching a few vids on youtube on the Isocore last night, looks like a nice bit of kit and I like the lifetime warranty they have, I sure I read here or somewhere else where people have had to use the warranty for the handles breaking and there were no dramas in getting them replaced there nad then which is nice to see.

We had problems with the kids smashing them. I got a lolly column (4" steal tube filled with cement) and welded a plate on top. Picked up a mail box made out of diamond plate bolted that on. Next time they hit it there was a small mark on it and never happened again. Lasted for about 7 years till last year a truck must have clipped it, it really bent it up.

We had similar problems with kids running over the wheelie bins in our area, anyway unbeknown to them my mate was doing some reno work and put a heap of concrete chunks and broken tiles in his one day and put it out for collection, anyway we are sitting there having a quiet beer on the evening it went out for collection and all of a sudden we heard this loud bang!

It was the halfwit who was running around smashing into the wheelie bins, he decided my mates was the next to be trashed LOL that car didn't sound real good as it limped off down the road, it was banging and clanging as it did and I think there was radiator fluid and oil coming from it too as they didn't get to far down the road before it was abandoned LOL.

As far as I'm aware the problem with wheelie bins being damaged ended that night:happybanana:

D0kg7cXX4AAsox1.jpg

If you guys look you'll see that this polar vortex starts in Alaska , not Canada ...

Metal doesn't hurt my splitter. That thing would split cinder blocks if I wanted
Chains clear chips better with fewer teef too.
thanks rarefish. Do you have a link to more info please? I'm going to need about 300' and also about 150' of about double that breaking strain for when I need to put a snatch block in the tree on a chokered line/sling.

Back about 30 years a guy did that after having his box ruined several times. A few days later he found it cut to pieces with torch.
I'd say 40-50 years back shooting mailboxes was a county fair time sport. Right after indoor plumbing did away with tipping outhouses at least.

Times change movies ECT... Sport evolved to baseball bats. A few fractures later it's evolved again.

Now they throw cinder blocks and rocks at em. Almost every year come the county fair mailbox seasons big fun... Or so I'm told.

There was a story in my home town about a guy that was tired of his mailbox getting hit by guys holding bats out car windows as they drove by so he bought a big rural box and cemented a regular sized box inside it so that there was a couple inches of concrete between them. Supposedly the guy holding the next bat broke his arm against the car's door frame.

Latest posts

Back