Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had some snow around my area too, nothing much but winter will be upon us soon enough and my heaters been going flatout for the last few days and on and off for a week or two now.

Got out again today to cut a bit more wood, I didn't do much just wanted to get out side and have a drive and tossed the saw in just incase I spotted something worth cutting.
Hey Scott I did the 170km Newcrest Orange ride on Sunday it reached a max of 14c deg. I was worried it would snow first thing in the morning riding to the start line. Luckily it didn’t, ended up being a great day (6 hrs actually). I was handed a beer at the finish line but I figured I’d earned it.

good for you to stop. all I could say was, "OMG! his poor liver!" 30 cans a day! wow how many oz? 16? 12? or? brand if u don't mind saying...

Not sure of oz - 375ml cans Iron Jack Heavies = I think they are 4.5% - yeah I could imagine the liver wasn't enjoying it but I certainly was.:nofunny:

Hey Scott I did the 170km Newcrest Orange ride on Sunday it reached a max of 14c deg. I was worried it would snow first thing in the morning riding to the start line. Luckily it didn’t, ended up being a great day (6 hrs actually). I was handed a beer at the finish line but I figured I’d earned it.

Lucky you didn't come out this way, she snowed on the higher elevations around here (not sure if it settled or not) it got to -6deg with the WCF - was fresh but still not enough to get me out of shorts and T-shirt.

As long as the wood is locally havested, minimising carbon released in processing, and from a sustainable/managed source, then it's pretty good. Nothing is perfect.

Trouble comes when firstf is clear felled and not managed. Also I've read that a rotted tree doesn't release all its carbon, a significant amount ends up as long term carbon in the soil. So burning is worse, and felling can, if done poorly, lead to soil erosion or degraded quality so carbon in the soil can be released. I'm not saying burning wood is bad, I don't think it is, but we should be cognisant that it's not entirely straightforward....
Nothing is where the environment and climate are involved.... It's very complex.

umm, MM - that's a 6-pk before noon, right? lol

No, one of my friends would kill a 6 pack at breakfast before he ever left the house. He was a few years younger than me, but is gone now. Was also an avid chainsaw guy, had an 038 4 ever.

I still do his wife's tax return, and sometimes some of his daughters.

As long as the wood is locally havested, minimising carbon released in processing, and from a sustainable/managed source, then it's pretty good. Nothing is perfect.

Trouble comes when firstf is clear felled and not managed. Also I've read that a rotted tree doesn't release all its carbon, a significant amount ends up as long term carbon in the soil. So burning is worse, and felling can, if done poorly, lead to soil erosion or degraded quality so carbon in the soil can be released. I'm not saying burning wood is bad, I don't think it is, but we should be cognisant that it's not entirely straightforward....
Nothing is where the environment and climate are involved.... It's very complex.
There's also a growing body of work detailing how the current thinning processes of plantation management is not putting on maximum growth nor maximising carbon retention. Regrettably though, I haven't read how this translates to the bottom line of the forest companies. Such a focus, in any great detail, seems conspicuously absent. They'd only have to make the financial case for what they term structural complexity enhancement and every forest owner would be beating down the door of the absurd carbon credit, market-intervening govt manipulators, seeking more carbon credits for managing their forests according to SCE, regardless of whether or not it's proven to work in Radiata plantations here.

I found a fir tree on Sunday that another scrounger got to before me

iL4WpGP.jpg

gEL2tmt.jpg

Not an ant left !
Clean through a 12" fir , he got it from both sides , that's one tough pecker Lol
I usually leave the dead standing and blowdown fir in the woods for the bugs and critters because of the lower btu's .
That's how I balance my carbon footprint ;)

Havent seen anything lately to scrounge. No bad winstorms, or heavy snow, not much falling around me. Thats a good thing and I aint complaining. Did sell a saw to a guy that had a dead maple fall on his house. From his pics the damage was minimal caught the corner of his porch. He lived to far away or I would have cut it for him. I did scrounge up a old 266se today. $10. Saw feels like it has good compression, but the chain is rusted to the bar. Might try to fire it up tomorrow. It has been setting for a while without a gas cap, probably have to go thru the carb. Dirty as sin, but maybe it will clean up.

Latest posts

Back