Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a little drive in the Pines today and cut up what I think is either red gum or red box? not sure but it burns nicely and puts out nice heat and seems long burning so will be great for the overnight wood I think.

It's heavy and dense wood and took some splitting by my mate but he got it done whilst I operated the chainsaw.:chop:

AAMyPt5l.jpg

Box Turtles (AKA Helmets) are so cool, they are actually little tortoises (not turtles) and can live to be over 100 years old. The bottom of the shell has hinges front and back, so they can close right up!

Great pic Steve, I love seeing them!
Mike, a couple years ago I was walking up the drive to my hunting property in WV. Lots of times I park at the bottom and creep up the overgrown drive to see if I can spook some deer, or maybe see my first bear. Every one has seen a bear but me. I was walking back down and saw a box turtle in one of the tire tracks and bent down to move him. Had to stop, couldn't interrupt turtle ****.
51s9V73.jpg

Didn’t do any actual physical scrounging but made a “contact” scrounge. Tree service ad on CL for 3 nice red oak, you cut and haul, problem was almost 50 miles away. Responded to the ad and told the guy I’m always needing good wood for some people in their 80’s that can no longer cut and if he had any jobs in my area I was interested. Told me to give him my phone number and he would contact me if he was within 20 miles or less of me. We’ll see.

Dad asked me to come over and help drop a chinese chestnut in their back yard. Everything went well, I was amazed we managed not to flatten the fence or a dog. We cabled a couple of pieces and they went where we wanted them to, all in all a great day.

Actually ran the poulan more than the 310, that little booger impressed me. Of course it also made my hands numb after 10 minutes.

3827F424-1992-4EDB-BF25-4591394C8910.jpeg 3E322999-6857-4AF4-95CC-B57C235CEB30.jpeg A0B8483E-0DF1-49E6-8585-7C2BE9069CD0.jpeg

View attachment 727538 Never seen this before. Makes it sound like any spark could start the apocalypse. Went from fire weather warning to red flag in the past hour.
i wonder if i should put my spark screen back in the saws James since we are gonna be up in the mountains cutting today. :innocent:

What's a spark screen!!!!

LOL that's what I was thinking, bugger putting em in (I don't run em in mine either) I can't say I've seen a spark ever come out of my saws. Funny thing happened last year in summer my mate fixes saws and mowers etc anyway he did some work on a Stihl 064 I think it was, ran it for a few mins and put it on his lawn and within a min or so the lawn caught on fire from the heat off it I guess? bloody weird, never seen anything like it before in my life.

LOL that's what I was thinking, bugger putting em in (I don't run em in mine either) I can't say I've seen a spark ever come out of my saws. Funny thing happened last year in summer my mate fixes saws and mowers etc anyway he did some work on a Stihl 064 I think it was, ran it for a few mins and put it on his lawn and within a min or so the lawn caught on fire from the heat off it I guess? bloody weird, never seen anything like it before in my life.
I don’t know about sparks, but I’ve had flames shoot out. I had my Super 1050 on the mill once, and over ran the fuel tank. It has a Nova II chip in it, and that advances the timing a little, makes it harder to pull over. Like a 100 CC saw with no decomp isn’t hard enough. I gave it a hard pull and it backfired and a flame shot out of the muffler and set the spilled gas on fire, poof, the whole saw went. Ran up to the garage and grabbed the extinguisher. It scorched the rubber hadle wrap and that’s all. Still runs great.

I’ve set grass and sawdust on fire making flush cuts on big stumps. Just pat it out with your hand and keep cutting.

Ok experts. Cherry came down on the hill behind the neighbors. Can’t get to it with the truck, if I can get it down and section it I can drag the sections with the quad. Question is, how to get it down safely. Diameter at wedged point is about 16”, length of tree is around 35’. Where it’s wedged is about 5’ high on up side of slope, over 6’ on downside. Its wedged, no light between either standing trunk and fallen trunk. My idea was to upcut trunk halfway to let it drop then pull wedged trunk sideways with quad to let it drop then finish bucking. It also brought down 3 nice 6”-8” oak limbs that go home too.

Attachments

• 70043987-3D9D-404E-9A2D-690A3A98E5A2.jpeg
    70043987-3D9D-404E-9A2D-690A3A98E5A2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 51
  • FE11840D-FAF0-4BE1-905B-AF2FD1CE3932.jpeg
    FE11840D-FAF0-4BE1-905B-AF2FD1CE3932.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
Looking at it on the laptop, but I can't post from there. Are both ends free, or is it still attached at the root end? If so, there are probably some sideways forces in there. How much is hard to judge, but it would want to pinch a saw if you cut into it at the wrong spot. I have trees like that too. The other side of it is that it could move sideways violently as pressure is released, possibly a sideways barber chair. I have not attempted mine yet, but I would probably start cutting off of the free end, and then study and think some more about those forces.

Looking at it on the laptop, but I can't post from there. Are both ends free, or is it still attached at the root end? If so, there are probably some sideways forces in there. How much is hard to judge, but it would want to pinch a saw if you cut into it at the wrong spot. I have trees like that too. The other side of it is that it could move sideways violently as pressure is released, possibly a sideways barber chair. I have not attempted mine yet, but I would probably start cutting off of the free end, and then study and think some more about those forces.
I’m going to cut from the side that if there is any side slap it “should” go away from me with me being on the uphill side and the closest vertical tree being towards me, releasing energy away from me. Can’t really start at the “free” end as it’s stuck in the ground. Starting at that end to me opens me up to a 35’ fly rod.

Latest posts

Back