Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole wood scrounging thing is like a sickness, I can’t even drive down the road without searching for downed trees, branches, anything that will burn. I’ve even caught myself spotting future scrounges that have not fallen yet, I can only hope they fall every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife gets ticked when we’re driving down the road and I’m looking in peoples yards, “ Boy, that oak is really leaning.”

Any of you scroungers have any thoughts or suggestions about setting up the 7910 with a 20" bar and 8 pin rim. It would get used a lot more with a 20.
You'll like it, I do it with mine ;).
I also do it with a 24, the 7910's don't mine, but with big dogs you have to be careful especially starting a cut at low rpms as the chain will just stick into the bark/wood.

I was thinking of using snow fence like a cargo net to hold against the page wire fence. I've been wanting to try building a beehive stack for a while ever since I read this book. Might have to give it a go.
d56c9de22aff3809092000c2662b2eb5.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
That's cool. I think I know where one is at, I saw it many yrs ago in a neighborhood and I was in a hurry so I couldn't check it out, back then I wouldn't have know what it was.
My wife is Norwegian, so maybe I should just stick to the cutting and splitting and let her stack it :laugh:.

Kind of a messy bore cut.
He had the rakers a little low :surprised3:.
It always amazes me how big of chips fly off the trees when those pileated woodpeckers are scrounging, just wow :popcorn2:.

Hey did you get the tree down yet, I think everyone has missed the mark a bit on it.
It's very easy, just pill and push on each tree that it's touching, the one that seems to have the least amount of pressure on to is the one I'd start with ;)
Hope you all get what I'm throwing down:lol:.

Went for another Scrounge out in the Pines, seems to burn well and put out good heat. Also got some bone broth cooking on the heater, been there 24hrs so far and will let it go another 24 I guess.:sweet:

x8YEjIhl.jpg

qI6u6xvl.jpg
Looks good.
My wife would be liking the bone broth, and wanting to do it on our stove if she saw that.
It's funny when I look out the back window at your place it doesn't look like winter yet, very green.

Looks good.
My wife would be liking the bone broth, and wanting to do it on our stove if she saw that.
It's funny when I look out the back window at your place it doesn't look like winter yet, very green.

Yeah love my bone broth, its simple to make and tastes great, I just add a few veggies and meat when I'm ready to eat some, bloody beautiful it is. It stays green all year round here really as a rule othe than when it snows of course. It's only Autumn here but won't be long before winters well and truly here, we've already had a light dusting of snow around the area the other week and snow down south of us.

Yeah love my bone broth, its simple to make and tastes great, I just add a few veggies and meat when I'm ready to eat some, bloody beautiful it is. It stays green all year round here really as a rule othe than when it snows of course. It's only Autumn here but won't be long before winters well and truly here, we've already had a light dusting of snow around the area the other week and snow down south of us.
That's one of my favorite times of the yr, I like the fall a lot.
We do quite a bit of bone broth at our place, it's not something we hear much about in our area, so much gets tossed in the trash these days.

That's one of my favorite times of the yr, I like the fall a lot.
We do quite a bit of bone broth at our place, it's not something we hear much about in our area, so much gets tossed in the trash these days.

Yeah it is a nice time of the year alright, the anticipation of what winter will be and the ramping up of the firewood cutting is something I look forward too a lot, I also like spring as it's nice to defrost again and look forward to camping and fishing.

Yeah I don't think many people do bone broth these days which is fine by me as I can get the bones for nothing off my local butcher.:D

This whole wood scrounging thing is like a sickness, I can’t even drive down the road without searching for downed trees, branches, anything that will burn. I’ve even caught myself spotting future scrounges that have not fallen yet, I can only hope they fall every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I have more black locust in the stash now than I could burn if I live to 110 but I'm still watching. State is going to redo about 4 miles of a local highway. Starts on one end with 4 mostly dead BL standing right off the shoulder, still trying to find out who I can contact for them. Highway contract should be let in May.

Todays fun. 2 buckets of oak,and 1 ash . All dead. And a box turtle. Moved him to a nice safe place in the sun.
View attachment 727087 View attachment 727090 View attachment 727091

good you could set the box turtle aside, FS! I am sure he appreciated your concerns. :) nice pix...

went up to the farm on Wednesday. spring grasses, etc is not a time to get behind. semi-caught up and wanted to keep that thrust going. always lots of work to do. besides mowing I wanted to clean up base trunk of this oak. in area of my 2nd gate and like to mow there, too. it is always dropping limbs. usually I just burn on property. but this time I decided to scrounge some scab up and haul it back to Houston. when it comes to wood, especially oak, I always say, " waste not, want not! " pulled my small burn pile back and apart. made smaller pieces of it all. besides it was quite windy there, to say the least. my windsock clearly was saying, it would be a X-wind landing!!! dint want a blazing inferno... grass fires not welcome! so cleaned all that up and the scab drop from the big oak. plan on some limb removal, sculpturing to this tree soon, will yield some nice firewood. it is an interesting oak. 22 years ago it had a bad infection/wound on the N side of trunk. thot i would loose it! I called some tree guys. dint like their deal. so cleaned it all out with my 026. down to good wood. down to near soil line. it was about 12" wide by 4' tall. then put in some wood blocks. and that was my Rx. tree responded well. soon new bark was rolling in over the bad edges. currently tree healthy and wound area almost closed up. it was just a lucky guess! some of the herd with this years new calves was down below in the south 40 pasture.P9120007.JPG P9120009.JPG P9120013.JPG P9120026.JPG

then I loaded up my bucket with the scab branches and drop.... and took it over to the burn pile to burn up. I always like it when there is a 'camp fire' in the background some where's... when gathering wood. the place has provided all the firewood I have needed over the past 20 years or so, mostly just drop, or dead from time to time, etc. or a neighbor rancher from time to time, too. oak and pecan, usually. and i have no shortage of mesquite. i am quite fond of my mesquite stands. always drop around. great to spike a cold fire or cook on! 4 fireplaces, all wood burners. one 54" Estate Master in shop in barn!

seems this year is a good one for the Texas bluebonnets. mine on my place are vibrant and cast off an exciting color blue. deeper and richer than last couple of years. each flower's petal/flower will produce a small pod like a bean. 2-3" long. then it will dry in the hot Texas sun. turns green pod into tan dried and crispy! and twists in shape a bit. then goes into tension. then when the time is right, POP!... and the plants then spit out their seeds. cast them up to 10' away or more. POP!... I have sat in the bluebonnet patches at that time and on a warm sunny afternoon, one can hear them go pop!... silence... pop!...pop! pop!... one right after another.

that night around 10 pm I made a space in my trunk and loaded up the - couple bags full - of oak drop and added it to my firewood this morning. special firewood wood from a special place... waste not, want not! :D

P9120027.JPG P9120012.JPG P9120034.JPG P9120035.JPG P9120036.JPG P9120037.JPG

That's cool. I think I know where one is at, I saw it many yrs ago in a neighborhood and I was in a hurry so I couldn't check it out, back then I wouldn't have know what it was.
My wife is Norwegian, so maybe I should just stick to the cutting and splitting and let her stack it :laugh:.

well, when the book first came out in 2011 it was an immediate success in Scandinavian countries and central Europe. I started reading it, and so far I like it. preface and intro. now chptr 1. interesting comments and philosophies of the two so far. about man's relationship with wood. not just any wood, but firewood! smallish print, plenty woodlot and wood pile, stacks - amazing pix... and one reference that was near and dear to my :heart: !!! :yes:

zwb.jpg

Jealous of you folks being able to scrounge! We got 25cm of snow yesterday and bad drifts today resulting more at certain areas. I might be snowed in tomorrow due to snow until the government plow/tractor comes. :crazy2:

Similar here in quebec, we still have 4-5 feets of snow left on the ground. 10F this morning. Winter never seems to end
1CAE7033-8CBD-402B-B8D8-E2DCFE812DE9.jpeg
2942D5ED-EEAE-467D-AE8E-0C80E15AE077.jpeg

Back