Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, a wee while ago on here I noted we have no really nasty bugs and critters like our neighbours across the ditch. I made mention of a few spiders that can leave a sore area for a wee while but that's about it. I'd like to correct the record somewhat. The venom of the white tail spider doesn't really do too many of us much harm, but the bacteria on their fangs or on the surface of our skin that gets carried into the puncture when they do bite us can cause some nasty reactions.

A week ago I got a not unusual bite in a usual place at the top of my sock. The usual soreness for a wee while but by the next morning it hadn't gone. Did two more days work before conceding things might be a little more sinister than first thought. Followed that with a day of couch surfing and finally decided, fours days into it, that medical intervention might be a good thing. No time left for oral antibiotics so on a drip I go. They tell me I'm lucky they got onto it just in time and in a few days I can get back to work. Heard a few horror stories of people losing limbs, etc when the worst case scenario unfolds.

So, after years of bites with no issues, and thinking it'll come right in an hour like it always has done in the past, it's now painfully obvious there can be serious secondary consequences. Probably so very obvious to most but I'm a slow learner.

So, a wee while ago on here I noted we have no really nasty bugs and critters like our neighbours across the ditch. I made mention of a few spiders that can leave a sore area for a wee while but that's about it. I'd like to correct the record somewhat. The venom of the white tail spider doesn't really do too many of us much harm, but the bacteria on their fangs or on the surface of our skin that gets carried into the puncture when they do bite us can cause some nasty reactions.

A week ago I got a not unusual bite in a usual place at the top of my sock. The usual soreness for a wee while but by the next morning it hadn't gone. Did two more days work before conceding things might be a little more sinister than first thought. Followed that with a day of couch surfing and finally decided, fours days into it, that medical intervention might be a good thing. No time left for oral antibiotics so on a drip I go. They tell me I'm lucky they got onto it just in time and in a few days I can get back to work. Heard a few horror stories of people losing limbs, etc when the worst case scenario unfolds.

So, after years of bites with no issues, and thinking it'll come right in an hour like it always has done in the past, it's now painfully obvious there can be serious secondary consequences. Probably so very obvious to most but I'm a slow learner.
Hope that clears up quickly for you.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

So if my truck bed holds 1/2 cord, in addition to 1/2 cord on my trailer, that will be a good thing. But the reason I got the truck model I got was to fit my Grandkids in the back of the cab and my ATV in the Bed!

FYI, my around town mileage has definitely been lower than 19, which is about where my total is now with about 1/4 tank gone.

I believe you guys with the large tanks ordered the towing package, which also includes a transmission cooler? Mine does have a hitch installed, but I don't think my tank is that big, but we will see!

Yeah, white tails. Those dirty b@stards don't brush their teeth.

G'day fellas, back from a brief trip down to the coast over Easter. Unfortunately, the entrance to the estuary we like to fish was closed and the water was backed up right over the beach to the bush so it wasn't easy going there. Also, the prawns were in plague proportions and all the flathead were full (we were told) but with the full moon, prawning wasn't a great option either. I caught a couple of small tailor before I gave up and tried the beach instead for some Car-Whys, aka Australian Salmon. Did a bit better there.

22nd Apr 2.jpg

Forgot my Stihl cap.

22nd Apr 3.jpg

22nd Apr 1.jpg

Cowgirl was so excited at the prospect of catching some samming that I stuck a smaller metal lure on my light flatty rod and we went back the next day. She so comprehensively outfished me I may never live it down. Buggered if I'm posting any pics of that :nofunny:. Maybe it's because I forgot my lucky fishing cap.

:)

So if my truck bed holds 1/2 cord, in addition to 1/2 cord on my trailer, that will be a good thing. But the reason I got the truck model I got was to fit my Grandkids in the back of the cab and my ATV in the Bed!

FYI, my around town mileage has definitely been lower than 19, which is about where my total is now with about 1/4 tank gone.

I believe you guys with the large tanks ordered the towing package, which also includes a transmission cooler? Mine does have a hitch installed, but I don't think my tank is that big, but we will see!
I think 26 gal is standard from what i have read. Did you truck come with a factory brake controller?

Morning Steve, mine came with the towing package, electronic axle lock, but no controller. I should have told them to throw that in to seal the deal, but my leg was hurting so bad all I wanted to do was get home. I did a search and the factory controller is a little over a hundred bucks, then they have to flash the computer, plus installation. I've got to get a few lawns mowed. Got 3 to do today.

I'll check the manual again, but I'm pretty sure it says 23 gal, but I will know for sure when I fill it from empty.

Since I got this thing off the lot, and the "promised" orientation sucked (they tried to sinc my phone with the vehicle and failed) I did not learn all my features. I think I have a downhill mode, I do not have the axle lock, and there is a button to the left of the steering wheel that I can not figure out … the manual shows it as blank (but mine has an icon on it)!

I'll check the manual again, but I'm pretty sure it says 23 gal, but I will know for sure when I fill it from empty.

Since I got this thing off the lot, and the "promised" orientation sucked (they tried to sinc my phone with the vehicle and failed) I did not learn all my features. I think I have a downhill mode, I do not have the axle lock, and there is a button to the left of the steering wheel that I can not figure out … the manual shows it as blank (but mine has an icon on it)!

Be careful, that button is turbo mode, for hauling large loads of scrounged wood. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a closer look and figured that button out … it is the light for the rear bed (on the cab). There are additional lights in the back with a separate button (on one side only).

FS and I are both right. The gas tank (standard - non towing package) is 23 gal for standard and extended cab, and 26 gal for super (4 door) cab.

Here is my 1st actual pic of my new saw transporter:

Attachments

• IMG_20190422_115725187.jpg
    IMG_20190422_115725187.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 29
Back