Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pix of that big wooden table I scrounged off the curb down the road a spell. I liked the ends upright brace. bit Nordic, imo. :) plenty of rotten wood!! and a fare share in the top boards, too. two of them. it even came with the correct sized wood to make the 1-bys support pieces. the others stuff is std 2x4, so will use treated. repairs to uprights to regain original shape is just a simple woodworking project. make pattern, cut to size, drill up for some large dowels and glue it up. thickness matches std 1 1/2" wood. was going to cut the 2 tops up and make one with the good wood. but now I know the size, think I can trim off the bad wood and wrap the two boards in good wood. and save both. well, that is the plan.

the table is all apart now. close to a pita taking it apart. too many wood screws! some more than a pain to try to undo. I don't envy the assembler! some of the rotten wood gave way so that helped. std Philips work, vise grips on a couple. some of the brads appear to be 16 or 15 guage. and shot with an air gun. 3"! must have been quite the nailer!! took me about 2 1/2 hours to disassemble. I do like the old table. will be fun to bring it back to life. it was headed to the dump! pure trash at best! it will be outdoors, but under roof.

one good bump in the road to be fully falling apart! ~
P9230043.JPG

P9230044.JPG

so I parked, got out... and went and talked to the El Jefe Senior...

"sure", he said, "you can have all you want. we don't want it! just going to the big chipper back at the yard... take what u want"

after some clearing of as to my intents, etc... so as to stay out of their way, but avail of their kind offer... I rigged up. they dint expect a dedicated scrounge tractor-trailer rig... liked it. thot I was going to use a pickup. that would have blocked traffic.... he said, ok... no problemo!

PA120020.JPG PA120022.JPG PA120024.JPG PA120026.JPG PA120030.JPG

crew of 5. had also job w/house nxt door, too. lots of oak! scrounge. even helped with with some... "sr, quiere esta tambien?"... si, si...

now I got some work to do. the big trunk sections were in the 24-26" diam range, perhaps bit larger. I cut up to 10" with my mity Echo limmer trimmer... sure do like that lil hornet... :chainsaw: they were using several MS 251s... and an Echo in the same cc size for both cutting and felling... grouns was bit soft due to rains of late and the day... down would come a section of limb... "whoomph!!" when it hit... I never fail to remember a tree carries a whole lot of weight around... the really big stuff the brought down with ropes...

nice crew! friendly... guess half a cord, maybe bit more... or less

good score, like :envy: in the bank! well, imo...

These saws were about as close to "cheapy" as things got back then. Still mostly metal, but things were changing. I have my wife's grandfather's Mighty Mite Deluxe and it was my first 'rebuild' of a saw. I also have a parts saw I picked up for $15 shipped, and they help illustrate the "value engineering" that happened over time. One recoil is metal, the other plastic. One has a plain metal handle, one's padded with rubber, etc. The next generation of "Mighty Mite" saws (100,200,300) were much worse, mostly plastic.
View attachment 733780
View attachment 733783
<snip> This 1976 model has the later style handlebar and caps so mine must be a bit earlier. Your "Monkey Ward" looks just like mine in handlebar and caps.

hi banjo - liked ur foto essay! cool the one saw-in-a-box came with original Operator's Manual. thanks for the glimpse of ur workbench. I never seen one I dint like! :D

with interest, I noted your lubes, oil cans. I liked the lil small one. seems almost identical to one I have, too. it's 5 1/2" tall. got it from next door at their estate sale when the Mom finally followed up the Dad... I guess I have had it bit over 10 yrs... I always get oil on me when I use it, but nbd. I like it. great for getting in close for keeping a drill bit wet in drill press...

thot u mite like to see it...
PA130031.JPG

Today’s scrounge and endeavor. The challenge was, this guy borders my 20 acres of woods. I told him i would take the tree (good sized Oak) but my problem was my normal route to my splitting and stacking area in my back yard is flooded. I took the truck through las weekend and destroyed my yard again. And the truck was empty. No way a 7,000 lbs truck with 3,000 + lbs of wood in the back is getting through without a REAL disaster of a yard.

So i spent a few hours clearing a path through my woods from his property to my back yard. Managed to get the truck (and a load of wood) through just now. Man i love this truck. Its a tank in 4low. Headed back for load number 2.

Da tree[emoji3596]

02b2bf02100291ed7eca02e0cd7be475.jpg

Da yard....again..[emoji2957]
fb9266de387b979a7477d038980d2b6a.jpg

Truck[emoji847]

7a9f63e786372681f6227f358780b7c2.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Had an axe disappear from the barn. Suspect the nieghbor boy might have "borrowed" it... But who knows I may have misplaced it. Though I doubt it as I'd not finished sharpening it after I sanded and oiled the handle. Have a boys axe I was gonna pass on to him... Maybe not.

Well........[emoji57]

Load number two did not go quite as well as load number one.

No I’m unloading everything I have in the middle of the woods just to get unstuck

Here I am swallowing my words about what I said with my truck being a tank[emoji23]

1bc2b26f5add52a39979f356ef73e6ef.jpg

Well........[emoji57]

Load number two did not go quite as well as load number one.

No I’m unloading everything I have in the middle of the woods just to get unstuck

Here I am swallowing my words about what I said with my truck being a tank[emoji23]

1bc2b26f5add52a39979f356ef73e6ef.jpg

That truck is too pretty to drive through the woods!!

Geeze, reading a bunch of old posts and seeing all of the great guys that used to hang out here. Now I can't remember the name of the guy up in Palmer Alaska. I haven't seen anything from him in a while. Help me out, what's his name? I owe him a beer the next time I'm up that way.
Trying to think of who. Was that Akdoug?

That truck is too pretty to drive through the woods!!

Then you would’ve loved hearing all the branches screeching on the sides [emoji23]

To me..... this truck.... is a tractor. Maintenance and keeping it clean is the only thing important to me

Then you would’ve loved hearing all the branches screeching on the sides [emoji23]

To me..... this truck.... is a tractor. Maintenance and keeping it clean is the only thing important to me

We graded the road with my 97 Chev last weekend. Drivers side rubbed the brush the entire day. Lots of new scratches lol.

LMFAO!!!

So my truck never made it out by itself. I had to dump all the wood in the middle of my woods and my neighbor had rented a bobcat this weekend so he pulled me out.

I was sitting on my porch eating dinner with my family and could hear him in my woods. I figured he was just playing around.

Now the bobcat is stuck because he was trying to be a nice guy and fix the ruts on my path from when my truck got stuck[emoji847]

[emoji23] [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This is so hilarious [emoji1787]

An adventure for tomorrow.

476dab25f6c14720de375f3a3438d0b5.jpg
00ca5b4d2e50b659e673208186e4894a.jpg

Latest posts

Back