Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I spent a couple hours cutting brush from along our roadway tonight. The road is 3/4 mile long and if did nearly the first 1/4 mile (both sides) while my son pitched brush.

Used the 4218 and the 142. Dulled two chains hitting rocks and a steel culvert (oops) and threw a third chain hard that needs a little attention to a few links before it can be used again. The nice thing is I have several lo profile chains for these saws and most of them were cheap or free. I would have felt bad if I was wrecking good chains.

Tomorrow is Road Association work day but I wanted to get a good start today as I can only spare a couple hours tomorrow. I’m not really sure how many people will show tomorrow and as I may have mentioned, there’s a lot of grey hair amongst the ranks. Of the 13 homes/cabins on the road, I’m the youngest at 39, one guy in his early 40’s although he rarely is seen, two guys in their 50’s (one of which is partially handicapped) and the rest are 60-80 plus. One of the older guys is a carpenter though so he’s in good shape.

Scrounged wattle in the firepit last night after sunset.

View attachment 756491
Someone near a mates farm has sprayed a few hectares of juvenile wattle (about 8" DBH). It's got Kermit (my bilke S3 processor) written all over it. Just one problem - I might be selling kermit b/c haven't been using it enough. Why do these things always come along just as we change course? Murphy's law I guess.

Well, you can always delay the sale. Would there be any demand for wattle firewood? You'd have to discount it pretty steeply to sell it here.
Mate, people will buy anything if the price is right, even if you tell 'em it crackles and spits sparks all over their carpet, they'll still buy it. Crazy but true. I once cleared an acre of old acacias and was surprised the guy I sold the firewood to had no problem selling it.

I don't really want to sell kermit, but really want to machine my own lumber into decking and flooring and can't afford to do both unless I go into debt and I've never borrowed money, even at todays low interest rates, for anything tree related. Seen too many people get into trouble. I need to win lotto tonight

Get it now and rent a skiddi and rotary brush hog every other year. I know grays aren't easily parted with a dollar but its not that bad and eco friendly if that's an issue. Otherwise a Tordon annually like the power line maintenance crew does helps and would probably get some of the poison ivy for good measure.

771F0BDC-9667-4503-B623-440E78210B6F.jpeg Since it’s time to start on the trunk of the red oak I figured I should get all the white oak out of the way and finally got it stacked to await splitting next year. All this came from 1 tree, rows are 4’-5’ high and 8 ‘ deep. This red oak while not as big trunk diameter is 50% longer so should get even more from it.

Back