Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nice, gotta like those.

If anyone wants any 3/8 x 20 rental chains let me know, I'm not grinding the bumpers on all of them :eek:.
They're very "sharky", got a few extras, most have very little use on them.
View attachment 757580
Ooh I spy some “tri-bumper” in there. Three times the fun!!!

View attachment 757590 View attachment 757591 Last of the limbs came home tonight. Start on the trunk tomorrow. That’s the 84 year old that likes to go, Wayne. I’ll try and remember to get pics tomorrow if he runs a 7900.
Nice looking load. Hope you're not working him to hard lol.
Did you leave anything there to put underneath it when you knock the branches off the bottom. I like to stuff a few pieces under the stem to hold it up as I'm bucking it. It serves a couple purposes; one it keeps it off the ground so I don't have to bend over as much, and two it keeps my chains out of the dirt.

Nice looking load. Hope you're not working him to hard lol.
Did you leave anything there to put underneath it when you knock the branches off the bottom. I like to stuff a few pieces under the stem to hold it up as I'm bucking it. It serves a couple purposes; one it keeps it off the ground so I don't have to bend over as much, and two it keeps my chains out of the dirt.
Ism going to put something under it but it’s still attached at the rootball. Hoping it stays up, last one did.

Ism going to put something under it but it’s still attached at the rootball. Hoping it stays up, last one did.
That would be great if it did. That is a lot of weight hanging out there.
Was the last one at the same property.
I just never trust them to do what I expect, that doesn't mean I don't go after getting it done, I'm just cautious about it.
There was a pretty experienced cutter in the next town south of me who died cutting up a large tree, snipped a branch and the thing rolled right up on him, very sad. He was a huge saw collector and he also sharpened chains for many people so he was know by many :(.
We all gotta be careful out there :yes:.

Well ,

211226.png

I've gotten a few texts from some buddies to see if I could stop by on my way home tomorrow night to drop a couple of trees .
Looks like rock and roll here on Saturday .

Well ,

211226.png

I've gotten a few texts from some buddies to see if I could stop by on my way home tomorrow night to drop a couple of trees .
Looks like rock and roll here on Saturday .
And rock and roll for you before then:rock2:.
You just might get some more slug wood :eek::lol:.

Watch for the rootball. They often set back up as you take off weight from the trunk.
I’m paranoid about them standing up. Had a sassafras do that, got to about 10’ from the rootball and it stood up FAST, scared me how fast it happened. I’m gonna take the whole trunk off the rootball first, drive a couple wedges in as I cut down. This tree is on a different property.

I’m paranoid about them standing up. Had a sassafras do that, got to about 10’ from the rootball and it stood up FAST, scared me how fast it happened. I’m gonna take the whole trunk off the rootball first, drive a couple wedges in as I cut down. This tree is on a different property.
I had one stand up when my kids were playing nearby. I warn everyone, even people who I assume already know!!

How long had the sassafras been down for. I've never had one stand up that was down for quite a while.
Ever seen that video of the guy getting tossed into the lake at a golf course when one stood up, they were making bets on if he would go that far or not lol.

How long had the sassafras been down for. I've never had one stand up that was down for quite a while.
Ever seen that video of the guy getting tossed into the lake at a golf course when one stood up, they were making bets on if he would go that far or not lol.
The sassafras came down during a storm into the yard so it had only been down say 12 hours. This oak has been down over a month.

My friend Harold and I went up to the cabin today, I had previously identified a carpenter ant problem, so we gave the cabin the treatment (takes 4 hours with all doors and windows closed, is supposed to kill everything, including mold). We also put out Ant traps, and sprayed bug killer into the cracks.

Then we repaired a gutter downspout that came off. I think the additional moisture from the missing downspout contributed to the insect problem (they all like moisture).

So during those 4 hours we used the ATV to bring 2 Ash and 4 Cherry logs down, and then we cut them up.

I let Harold run a few of my saws, and he was really impressed with my 462!

Back