Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, having been arrested a number of times, for various offences, the nightmare niece I mentioned a while back finally threatened someone at the school she hasn't been attending recently, and that was enough for the police to take her in and to get the wheels turning for a mental assessment. So, at least for 12 hours, we all know where she is and what she's doing. What happens after that is anyone's guess. I've given up trying to work out the utterly phucked up way Canada (or perhaps it's just BC) deals with such things. The parents have zero say in this, the 14yo has all the rights. Dr's have declined to asses her mental state recently because she didn't want them to. I mean, c'mon, that in itself is a batshit crazy state of affairs. The rules up there are diabolical. A twisted liberal shitheap of contorted rules that serves only to drag society further toward the abyss.

they'll probably let her check herself out and to go onto lordonly knows what after this

That's terrible, Kiwi. Do 14yo's know better than their parents now? Presumably an adult came up with that law. God help her.

I'm guessing your sibling-and-spouse can't sue the state after the inevitable happens either. :nofunny: :angry:

Those 'liberal' ideas sound so sweet until you have to deal with the consequences.

Depends how bad the day was. If the bad day bear hunting involved the bear chowing down on you, I think I'd take the day at work.

If 4 guys break into your house at 3am, beat you and your wife up, trash the place, steal all your stuff and drive off with it all in your car, we're allowed to ask them to stop, and that's about it. Ask politely, mind, so you don't offend anyone.

There's a bit of a problem in parts of Melbourne with African lads who immigrated to the country recently - 'refugees'- (or in some cases are the children of said recent immigrants) doing just that. They get picked up now and then by the cops but then some lefty magistrate lets them off with a warning and the cycle continues, and the hoodlums know it. Only occasionally do they get jail time and at best it might be a few months.
Kick in the door at 3am here and they'll be bringing the coroner along with the cops. We had some break ins in my area awhile back till someone took a load of buckshot to the chest. No more break ins.

This is my home defense system. That Jack Russell and Chihuahua cross doesn't look like much but but she can hear a mosquito fart half a mile away and certainly anyone coming up the driveway. If it's friend I have the coffee pot. If it's foe I have my hockey stick and it's game on brother! ... haven't had to use the stick ever but the pot gets lots of use
aef2055f0060bb3cc77c382826157fa3.jpg
74647e7607273dcd9d2aee78cbe11bc5.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I didn’t feel right to share photos earlier but since then every local news source in the area has put out an article on this in the last two days.

Here’s my neighbor’s beautiful hand hewn log home going up in smoke on Sunday. To say it was horrific to watch would be an understatement.

They are planning to rebuild in the spring.

View attachment 776002

How did it happen?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

It is like the strict gun control laws they have here, especially in the big cities. They will use them to throw the book at someone like me (if I decide to carry where I am not supposed to, like in NYC), but if you are a real thug and use a gun as part of your trade, the first thing they do is dismiss the gun charge, and all the cops complain they bust these guys with guns and they are back out in no time. The world is up side down, and we need some adults to fix it!!!

The criminals have all the rights, the law abiding have none!

And what I would carry is different that what I would defend my house with, and no one should have the right to tell me how many rounds I can defend my house with, especially when there may be more than one bad guy, and they may be wearing bullet proof clothing.

And what I would carry is different that what I would defend my house with, and no one should have the right to tell me how many rounds I can defend my house with, especially when there may be more than one bad guy, and they may be wearing bullet resistant clothing.
Fixed it for you. Body armor doesn't work so well against high powered hunting rifles so keep one of them in reserve ;)

We got a hold of some retired body armor once.

It stopped everything up to 357 mag. 12 gauge buckshot did have some penetration because as the pellets to the inside of the pattern hit, it pulled the fabric layers inward and the outer pellets were able to penetrate.

The first .44 mag round did not penetrate (the second one did) but the first shot BROKE the 2x6 that the vest was attached to. So if you can think of the amount of blunt force that it takes to break a 2x6, imagine receiving that in your chest area even if the bullet did not penetrate. A person would be on the ground at the very least if not dead.

We got a hold of some retired body armor once.

It stopped everything up to 357 mag. 12 gauge buckshot did have some penetration because as the pellets to the inside of the pattern hit, it pulled the fabric layers inward and the outer pellets were able to penetrate.

The first .44 mag round did not penetrate (the second one did) but the first shot BROKE the 2x6 that the vest was attached to. So if you can think of the amount of blunt force that it takes to break a 2x6, imagine receiving that in your chest area even if the bullet did not penetrate. A person would be on the ground at the very least if not dead.

With nothing, catching a 44 in the chest = dead. At least body armor offers the chance for you to just have a really bad day, and live to see another.

There are all different levels of body armor. Some of the military stuff will stop some rifle bullets.

A rifle is always better than a handgun (ballistic ally), but sometimes using one is just not practical, and I don't want to shoot my neighbors through my walls.

There is always a trade off. A handgun bullet that will penetrate body armor will likely not stop an enraged person as effectively as other bullet designs.

The reason the military adopted the 45 ACP is because it would stop you even using military FMJ bullets. Things change a lot when you use expanding bullets, and now there are even other choices.

With the crime wave that has been going on around here the last few years, I have several self defense weapons stashed around the house. I like interchangeable ammo weapons. I have the 44mag pistol as well as the 44mag carbine. I have the glock 17 and the keltec sub 2000. The 22mag AMT, Ruger single six and the marlin bolt action rifle. Then there is the 12ga mossberg pumps, one with short barrel and folding stock and a turkey model. If I need the range, I have several long rifles in various calibers. I keep several guns loaded and plenty of ammo on hand and where I can reach them. Just because I have my feet propped up and watching tv dont mean I cant shoot a crook before they get past the doorway.

That's terrible, Kiwi. Do 14yo's know better than their parents now? Presumably an adult came up with that law. God help her.

I'm guessing your sibling-and-spouse can't sue the state after the inevitable happens either. :nofunny: :angry:

Those 'liberal' ideas sound so sweet until you have to deal with the consequences.
Divine intervention might be her only hope at this rate. There's a case to be made that if the parents did know better it wouldn't have come to this but I'd be making the case they are themselves the living consequences of liberal dysfunction. It's just so tragically predictably dysfunctional but it's their normal. I could see this coming years ago, as could everyone else in the family but they simply couldn't be told their liberal BS would end in tears. They simply wouldn't accept they didn't have the rest of the skills and motivation to make liberal parenting work. Without which it's more dumb luck than anything else, if a kid makes it to adulthood well-adjusted.

*edit* news just in, she's been committed for three weeks. Finally, some good news.

With nothing, catching a 44 in the chest = dead. At least body armor offers the chance for you to just have a really bad day, and live to see another.
I'll take my chances without. Rather go quick then take the chance of dieing slowly cause my insides look like beef stew that just came out of a blender.

Well no big bears here (think they might be sleeping now). Snowed about 5” here so went out to see where the elk were, found there tracks and started following. I was going pretty slow because I walked up on them going too fast yesterday and scared them off. Got pretty close 95B2D7C1-3592-43AB-A7E4-9D225EBF5F60.jpegnever saw them but could hear them. They went over a big ridge and down the other side. Time to head back for coffee and food, hopefully they will be back tonight. Was nice to see the pickup again 7118E41A-4897-4E77-AC29-405BF6652359.jpegeven though I didn’t go that far (felt further, lol) 8A6096EA-DB77-457C-AD1D-879C676F31A8.pngAnd just so I don’t stray too far off subject....F5161CBD-1D65-435C-B73C-AB095813EE60.jpeg

We got somewhere between 5-6" of the wettest dayum snow. Been so warm there isn't any frost in the first couple inches of my gravel driveway. Busted 2 shear bolts on rocks before said F this. Hopefully it will freeze hard enough tonight that I can finish one of these next mornings.

Gonna go look at a firewood truck this weekend if it works out. Going a little different route if I get this one. I've seen the truck in Pine City and remember thinking to myself I'd like something like that myself.

img20191127_150112.jpg

We got somewhere between 5-6" of the wettest dayum snow. Been so warm there isn't any frost in the first couple inches of my gravel driveway. Busted 2 shear bolts on rocks before said F this. Hopefully it will freeze hard enough tonight that I can finish one of these next mornings.

Gonna go look at a firewood truck this weekend if it works out. Going a little different route if I get this one. I've seen the truck in Pine City and remember thinking to myself I'd like something like that myself.

View attachment 776102
mines a 79 ford auto 400... guts to crawl and growl working wood but lacks balls trying to move wet snow with out 4x4!!

Back