Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly it is pretty good. Like pork but different.
I think bear is sort of in between pork and beef. The secret to cooking it is to remove all the fat. Even a little of fat will ruin the taste. Otherwise cook the same as you would any other roast. Bear liver and heart is the best parts of the bear. Better than pork or beef liver

My standard shot placement has always been a head shot. In other words, if I don't have a clean shot, the bear keeps running. With big bears, they don't run, they walk. They also don't climb trees, they don't have to. This bear could have killed every dog on it. That's one reason you don't use catch dogs to hunt bear. Hounds are smarter than most give them credit. They will catch a small bear, but usually comes at a huge cost. A 100lb bear can whoop a pack of dogs. A bear that wont run or climb, dogs will just bay at its butt. The hunter shot this bear in the neck with a 454 casull from about 10yrds away. I was about 300 yrds away. The bullet didn't break the bears neck, to much fat. A dog ran in and was caught by the bear. The shooter grabbed the dog pulling it away from the bear and the bear grabbed him by the leg. He shot the bear in the head killing it instantly, but then had to pry the bears jaws open to get his leg out. When the bear was skinned out there was a layer of fat that a 8in filet knife wouldnt reach thru. I have seen several bears shot in the shoulder when the bullet didn't penetrate into the body cavity. We had a bear a couple days later that was shot with a high power bolt action rifle thru the gut. Don't know caliber but suspect 7mm08. The bear weighed 269lbs and it kept running after being shot, even tho the bullet passed all the way thru. It was later killed with a head shot from a 45/70. Body shots might be fine for someone hunting from a stand, but doing so hunting with hounds will just get your dogs killed. Pass thru shots with high power ammo is another problem when hunting with dogs. If the bullet has enough power to pass thru after a shoulder shot, you stand the risk of hitting a dog. Its not every day you get a shot at a 760lb bear. My 44mag has never let me down, but the biggest bear I have killed was a 257lb sow. One head shot and it was dead in its tracks. The area we now hunt seems to have plenty of much larger bear than my biggest kill and it is making me second guess and wanting something bigger to shoot with.
I'm out with my father black bear "hunting" this week, I have a Savage 116 chambered in 375 Ruger and a 44 mag backup. I wouldn't even think about my 30-06...small bear is one thing, some of them they took out of here last year were the size of a small cow...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brother just called, He's wanting me to go back with them for the second season. They have another big bear on the game camera and several decent size bears. I haven't made up my mind yet about going. Second season is usually cold and wet. I killed a bear and deer last year but didn't even deer hunt this trip out. Seen bear every day we hunted and a ton of deer, just didn't feel the need to shoot. Altho, if a really big bear presents itself, I will throw lead.

The other thing to report...... after much arm twisting, persuasion and harassing Chipper1 sold me one of his 201 rear handles saws.
As soon as it arrived I ordered a 14" light bar from the local Stihl dealer, turns out there were none of these bars in the country and waited a month to get it.
Thanks Chipper :happybanana::chainsaw:.

upload_2019-11-26_14-50-2.png

I am not an artisan Neil just a savvy eBay buyer, I bought the table and 10 high back leather chairs from a seller who had some serious coin. He had a house on Sydney harbour over looking the city but was moving to house that couldn’t fit it. He paid $12k for the table plus $3k for the chairs. He put them on eBay basically brand new, starting bid $3k he only had one bid :).
It’s 11 ft long and made from Iron bark, I estimate it weighs 1/4 of a ton.

The other thing to report...... after much arm twisting, persuasion and harassing Chipper1 sold me one of his 201 rear handles saws.
As soon as it arrived I ordered a 14" light bar from the local Stihl dealer, turns out there were none of these bars in the country and waited a month to get it.
Thanks Chipper :happybanana::chainsaw:.

View attachment 775859
Good evening Jeff.
Looks great, seems they look nicer in other peoples pictures lol.
They sure are nice to throw around with that lightweight bar.
You're welcome.

I am not an artisan Neil just a savvy eBay buyer, I bought the table and 10 high back leather chairs from a seller who had some serious coin. He had a house on Sydney harbour over looking the city but was moving to house that couldn’t fit it. He paid $12k for the table plus $3k for the chairs. He put them on eBay basically brand new, starting bid $3k he only had one bid :).
It’s 11 ft long and made from Iron bark, I estimate it weighs 1/4 of a ton.

Good BTUs then if you get really desperate :laugh:

Bad day of bear hunting is better than a good day of work...
34ca189a9e7240ca3513a1cc355c76cc.jpg

Good evening Jeff.
Looks great, seems they look nicer in other peoples pictures lol.
They sure are nice to throw around with that lightweight bar.
You're welcome.
We're gonna need a video!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Bad day of bear hunting is better than a good day of work...
34ca189a9e7240ca3513a1cc355c76cc.jpg

Don't feel bad Steve . I didn't see any either. But then again last year was the first any bears we harvested in York co. Since they opened bear season back in the 60's. A guy shot the first one in archery season about 3 miles from my house last year. I spent the money for a bear tag this year. Good luck!

Good BTUs then if you get really desperate :laugh:

That's what I tell everyone when there's a pellet vrs wood stove debate .
"I can always burn the kitchen table and chairs if I have to , try that in your pellet stove Lol"

Back