Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see where you are coming from, hunting with dogs is a different game totally. Stalking kodiaks or grizzlies is where the shoulder shot is warranted. Also most people do not want to destroy the skull with a head shot but that is certainly understandable if life and limb comes into play.

If I ever got into hunting big bear, I would probably use a 375 H&H. Holland and Holland (ironically a family name of mine) did extensive work with the 375 cartridge to increase case extractability in extreme climates which is something that the straight cased/heavily flared modern magnum cases lack.

fine weapons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_&_Holland

my dad din't hunt bear with his Holland & Hollands, but did some African animals. Holland & Holland... .450 double barrel... and .577 nitro express... double! elephant guns.

Well we had a sad day here although luckily no lives were lost.

I had just come in from stacking wood and heard something that literally shook the floor. Being a long ways from anything industrial I knew that was a not a good thing.

Walked outside and saw flames high in the trees down the road. Knew that was bad and suspected what was going on. Went down and my neighbor was backing his vehicles away from his house. Flames were coming out of the front of the house and smoke was billowing out the back. Mind you this was a 4000 SF hand scribed log home that my neighbor had built himself. I’ll tell you, I shed a few tears watching him watch his home burn down.

By the time the fire department showed up, the front wall had already caved in. The detached sauna building was starting to catch fire from the reflective heat so luckily they were able to save that building.

All people got out safely and the dog is accounted for. The cats did make it out of the house and frequently visit us so we’ll catch them as they allow.

terrible for the family. :cry: here today, gone tomorrow...

The guy who guided my dad grizzly hunting said he guided a bowhunter for grizzly, "ONCE". The hunter stuck the grizzly with a decent shot and it started running towards them. He yelled to the archer to shoot it again and turned around and the hunter was running away. The guide luckily had a .30-06 BAR and emptied to gun into the grizzly which died a few feet from him.

My dad shot his kodiak with a 338 Win mag and even with several shots to the heart/lungs it took several minutes to expire. I do not know if this is still the procedure for big bears but the guides back then would advise a heavy load into the front shoulders to immobilize the bear then heart/lung shots to kill it.

about as close to a bear as I ever want to be is a) at zoo or b) watching tv This Is Alaska!

I see now they have a new reality show coming: Man vs Bear. :rolleyes:

I have never eaten bear, but I have heard from others who have... pretty good fare!

The house I'm living in was the victim of Arson, but luckily it was before I moved in, but I feel for your neighbor. It was devastating getting that call from my future neighbor at 5:30 am "Mike, I don't know how to tell you this, but your house is burning down". I had spent months working on it every W/E and every evening after work (I would go over with my Coleman Lantern and do work). It was devastating, they steal a piece of your soul. It is not just money, it is a piece of your life you will never get back.

Luckily, no one was hurt and I did not loose any personal items other than my tools, but it was still devastating. Then, a few years later, I went through the divorce, and it was almost more than I could take. It took a long time for me to recover.

:yes: true, always sad. 'hurt' sux! pain, too. add them together, even worse. loss! thanks for sharing MM -

a little bit 'off topic'... lol ;) we had an awesome day yesterday down here and I got out and about to catch up with some city work. curb scrounges. last 2 almost 1/4 cord oak. all within walking distance...

P5050024.JPG P5050025.JPG P5050026.JPG

rains oak all the time. someone needs to pick it up... lol. but I get lazy... big pecan came down 2 days ago. pro crew. big tree. 2 & 3 pc trunk ends, noodled. lots no split size. fireplace ready. but I passed, didn't want to get. the ez stuff hard to pass up on, though. always camp fire perfect...

On Sat my younger Daughter came over to help me finish butchering the 2nd deer, so she got a lot of meat. She made some of it yesterday, but did not tell her 3 kids till they all told her how good it was! Then, they apparently got over it, because they asked for more. The only one not worried about it was her daughter, she was thrilled to be eating Grandpa's deer!!!

Maybe now the boys will show a little more interest in hunting … they like shooting … we will see.

In NY, you are generally not allowed to hunt Bear with dogs or with bait, so getting one is usually just "happenstance".

You rarely see them, unless you take your wife up to go Mtn Bike riding, then a large one runs right in front of your vehicle, down your driveway, making her terrified to get out of the car and ride the bike. Only convinced her it was safe when I showed her I had the 40 Glock with me!

The guy who guided my dad grizzly hunting said he guided a bowhunter for grizzly, "ONCE". The hunter stuck the grizzly with a decent shot and it started running towards them. He yelled to the archer to shoot it again and turned around and the hunter was running away. The guide luckily had a .30-06 BAR and emptied to gun into the grizzly which died a few feet from him.

My dad shot his kodiak with a 338 Win mag and even with several shots to the heart/lungs it took several minutes to expire. I do not know if this is still the procedure for big bears but the guides back then would advise a heavy load into the front shoulders to immobilize the bear then heart/lung shots to kill it.

I (country boy) and a city boy met up in basic training in AF. Both sent to Alaska. He thought it would be great to go on a Kodiak hunt, signed up for a USO trip, checked out a rifle from the base. Came back and I asked how he did. "Not well, that bear stood up from behind a bush. If the USO wants that rifle back, they can go get it!"

about as close to a bear as I ever want to be is a) at zoo or b) watching tv This Is Alaska!

I see now they have a new reality show coming: Man vs Bear. :rolleyes:

I have never eaten bear, but I have heard from others who have... pretty good fare!
Supposedly it is pretty good. Like pork but different.

Pecan pie! The best there is. No argument will ever sway me.
Brought back 20lbs of cracked pecans from the hunt. Shelled and bagged them Sat. A friend gave the wife a recipe for a Japanese pecan pie a few years back. Now, I love the traditional pecan pie a lot, but the Japanese pecan pie is wonderful.

Back