Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have gotten much softer, and some of it is the insurance crap. When I was a kid, you could not get a job as a bus driver unless you could put chains on your bus. Now, if there is just a forecast of snow, school is cancelled! Half the time they cancel school no snow ever comes, and they will not have school if snow is predicted, coming or going! All of the buses have "automatic chains" that NEVER get used!

no doubt you are right MM - many things of the past people today will not get to experience. chains is one of them! putting on chains in middle of road, in middle of a snow storm... icy streets, sliding... is one thing most won't ever experience. and I can tell you from experience... it always was an experience. slippery snowy roads, hills only chains would get you up, thoss times when only chains would get up in or out of the drive too and from the house... loose links. rubber tensioners and the almost always present 'clack... clack.... clack' of someone who did not put them on properly. many tell-tale fender flares with lots of paint in spots banged off... I always smile when I see an 18-wheeler rollin'... and chains hanging back side of the cab.

And power steering, AC and no double clutching!

I can remember driving in it on them... bump bump bump at first starting out... then a more harmonious hum as they beat out a bit of a monotone melody... and traction was once more acquired...

I still can't get used to the kids standing on a street corner waiting for the school bus. School is only about 1/2 mile away.

in 3rd grade, I walked over 1 mile to school... in HS I walked close to a mile to school... til got a car.

Finishing up a Burr Oak I have been turning into firewood, decided to noodle this large crotch. Almost looks too beautiful to burn, gonna have to come up with a project to utilize this on. Can’t imagine how long it will take to dry.
70823716407e3096c105a182ed048cf8.jpg
2f0e93fc299c66e399684e4a2694a0f7.jpg
76448929586971be8b1ca4d772ca94bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

today when I stopped for gasoline... was out of town, rural... the location had firewood for sale. 4-5 pcs, maybe 14" long... $4.99 bundle. bit on saw a roadside offering... had half-dozen stacks about 4 1/2'- 5' tall... $40.00 ea.

in 3rd grade, I walked over 1 mile to school... in HS I walked close to a mile to school... til got a car.

I grew up on a farm in N Idaho. Grades 1-8 walked 1/2 mile to country school. We had students who walked, rode horses up to 4 miles. HS it was a 2 mile hike to the bus. Also 2 miles for the younger siblings to the country grade school. No such thing as a "snow day" even when the county road was closed due to drifts. Even 1st graders did it.

I grew up on a farm in N Idaho. Grades 1-8 walked 1/2 mile to country school. We had students who walked, rode horses up to 4 miles. HS it was a 2 mile hike to the bus. Also 2 miles for the younger siblings to the country grade school. No such thing as a "snow day" even when the county road was closed due to drifts. Even 1st graders did it.
That is the thing. They make everything too easy on kids these days. Kids have boundless energy and honestly they would be more productive and have less issues if the burned that energy!!!!!

I know I function much better with some light to moderate activity each day!!

hear that. setting in the plow trucks for the last week sure does cramp up the old body when not used to setting around! moving snow does make one tired but not in the way an active body is used to being moved with real action... ? what's the old adage, "a body in ?"
I remember those days of plowing, I don't miss it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love plowing as long as the area I am plowing doesn't have unforeesn items in the snow.

I plow for a few neighbors and one of them has 5 snowmobiles and three boats in his driveway. I hate plowing there because I need to make sure I don't run in to anything.
don't waste your time bud! it will happen sooner then later!! neighbors should respect the fact you are probably doing the plowing at a reduced rate anyways! they want plowed . " MOVE YOUR CRAP. CAUSE IF I HIT IT! WELL THATS WHAT IT BECOMES!!"... THE ONLY THING I MOVE IS THE SNOW....

don't waste your time bud! it will happen sooner then later!! neighbors should respect the fact you are probably doing the plowing at a reduced rate anyways! they want plowed . " MOVE YOUR CRAP. CAUSE IF I HIT IT! WELL THATS WHAT IT BECOMES!!"... THE ONLY THING I MOVE IS THE SNOW....

"right on!" chucker... that ought to move them into action! lol... snow action ~ ;)

hi tk - my 1st grade was living out in the country. rural farmhouse my dad found and had rented. great time! it was a bus ride to school. I can remember them and the first day. getting on that bus. it was a good 15 miles to town. glad I dint have to walk! lol

We were tougher then. Walked three miles to school, snow up to our chins, uphill all the way, then walked three miles home again after, uphill all the way. That's what turned us into the lumberjacks we are today, and we're okay! Been there, done that. A legend in my own mind.

:numberone:

Back