Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came home today and hopped in the shower before going Christmas shopping. Shower was.... invigorating! Boiler was flashing an error code. Tried to reset to no avail. Opened the burner cabinet and dang! Warped plate and burned parts. Tossed a couple serious chunks in the stove as we are obviously wood only for a bit. Forgot about damping it down for a few minutes until I smelled the stove! Gonna change my name to JeezJeff!
f5b5b3e85a56e6f97d06fd535065b206.jpg
f9872a287a6230a7f0c630d624e2d6a9.jpg
2120f4ddc6a07d2202bb272021b3ad08.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I've seen are old VC over 700 a few times. We all forget sometimes.

It was our anniversary yesterday, so I went out for dinner. Had peppercorn Tuna (rare), and it was real good!

Cowboy, those almost look like little Blue Fish, and the description matches! The are great fighters, but not the best for eating! They also have razor sharp teeth, and they will go for you!

Yep, same fish. Little psychos they are and the teeth cut better than square file. I quite like eating them but you need to look after them and eat them fresh. Bleed on capture, preferably put on ice then fillet and light fry in oil, little bit of butter and sliced garlic. You can't freeze them, wash the fillets in fresh water or leave them sitting in the sun for two hours and expect them to be any good though.

thanks! Yeah I will definitely be looking for help if I decide to try and make the splitter a project. I think they said it was a 10-ton, that's kinda puny, yes?
Welcome.
It sounds like one of the shorted splitters with a pusher on the ram and a knife on the beam, if so they work well for what they are and can do more splitting in a day than I can :).

Hey guys.

I was offered a 30 ton Northern Tool splitter. Was told the price would be right but the seller would want to borrow it once a year. Good guy that I trust so no problem on that. Now I’m waiting to see what the price will be.
Sounds like a deal, for him lol.
You store it and keep it running so he can use it when needed :).
That's why I like to buy them and then sell them when I'm done for a while, I get my wood split and make a couple bucks and I don't have to store it. This burning season is the first time I haven't sold any splitters and I have one here in around 8 yrs, I didn't have one then :eek:.

They used to not have any limit on them, and when my Dad had his boat, me and Matt's Dad caught lots and lots of them. One day, just the two of us got 64 of em. (The current limit is 10/day).

They all fight like crazy, but when they start getting over 8 lbs you have a real fight on your hands (they can get up to 20 lbs, and we often got them in the teens). Matt's Dad once caught one that was 36", but it looked half starved!

On spinning rods with 20 lb test, they were all you could handle, and you just hoped that a second one did not cut your line after the first one was hooked (you caught a lot more of them if you did not use wire leaders).

They liked Silver Diamond jigs with a pattern to imitate scales. In about 60 feet of water we would cast as far as we could, then after it hit bottom start bringing it up real fast, then a brief stall and reel again … that is when you hooked up. They would think it was sand ells coming off the bottom.

I'll have to scan some of my pics from back then, they were not digital. Matt was a little tyke back then, but loved to come with us.

They have teeth sharp as razors, and I have seen them boil the water like piranha. I have heard that some of the attacks on sailor's during WWII were by schools of Bluefish, and I believe it. They are fearless, aggressive and nasty.

Baking them with some oregano and other spices (and sliced fresh tomato from the garden) helped tame the taste. We had it often. We caught too many to eat all of them fresh, so we froze lots of them. I much preferred eating Bonito or Stiped Bass, but it was infrequent that we were able to get them. Blue Fish almost always seemed to be there!

Sounds like a deal, for him lol.
You store it and keep it running so he can use it when needed :).
That's why I like to buy them and then sell them when I'm done for a while, I get my wood split and make a couple bucks and I don't have to store it. This burning season is the first time I haven't sold any splitters and I have one here in around 8 yrs, I didn't have one then :eek:.
I guess I forgot to mention. He’s the executor of an estate that owns it so it needs to be sold.

I guess I forgot to mention. He’s the executor of an estate that owns it so it needs to be sold.
Well it still works the same lol.
I wish you were closer, I have one I'd give you a great deal on lol.
I've split well over a yrs wood with it so it owes me nothing, if I get my seed money out of it I'm good.
I haven't been seeing any lower priced splitters this yr, usually I buy a new one and then sell the one I have. That being said I haven't been hunting for them either, but I do watch.

I've seen are old VC over 700 a few times. We all forget sometimes.
I just realized I forgot the other way.
Noticed a bit of a breeze on my feet, which is not totally abnormal when it's cold out, then I noticed it was cooling off :dumb:.
So now I'm getting the stove warmed back up and will have to really work the stove as it's cooling down tonight and into tomorrow here, I should have had the house a little warmer than normal tonight to make it easier on the stove.
The other night I fell asleep on the couch waiting to shut the damper down. She was pretty hot, I threw a nice sized chunk in there on top of the raging wood and shut it down, it helps slow it down quite a bit which cools it off but it does stay hot for a long time.

After your opinions please fellas. That reminds me to explicitly note that we don't have any female scroungers in this thread. Why is that? Anyhoo, I have started flattening this table and router marks are leaving a slight 3d effect that's really floating my boat. I'm thinking about not sanding them out, just epoxy over it and marvel at the 3d wizardry. What do you lot think? Worth a punt or better to try such things on my own project first?

IMG_20191217_191328.jpg

rainbowRipple.jpg

Came home today and hopped in the shower before going Christmas shopping. Shower was.... invigorating! Boiler was flashing an error code. Tried to reset to no avail. Opened the burner cabinet and dang! Warped plate and burned parts. Tossed a couple serious chunks in the stove as we are obviously wood only for a bit. Forgot about damping it down for a few minutes until I smelled the stove! Gonna change my name to JeezJeff!
f5b5b3e85a56e6f97d06fd535065b206.jpg
f9872a287a6230a7f0c630d624e2d6a9.jpg
2120f4ddc6a07d2202bb272021b3ad08.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
JeezJeff.Reminds of a story.:popcorn2:
A husband and wife went Christmas shopping. They were on a tight schedule and after she went through checkout couldnt't find her husband anywhere. She called him and asked where he was. "Honey remember 10 years ago that little jewlery store where you saw that diamond necklace but we couldn't afford?" Yes she replied as the tears started to well in her eyes. " I'm in the chainsaw shop beside that jewlery store".:surprised3:

They used to not have any limit on them, and when my Dad had his boat, me and Matt's Dad caught lots and lots of them. One day, just the two of us got 64 of em. (The current limit is 10/day).

They all fight like crazy, but when they start getting over 8 lbs you have a real fight on your hands (they can get up to 20 lbs, and we often got them in the teens). Matt's Dad once caught one that was 36", but it looked half starved!

On spinning rods with 20 lb test, they were all you could handle, and you just hoped that a second one did not cut your line after the first one was hooked (you caught a lot more of them if you did not use wire leaders).

They liked Silver Diamond jigs with a pattern to imitate scales. In about 60 feet of water we would cast as far as we could, then after it hit bottom start bringing it up real fast, then a brief stall and reel again … that is when you hooked up. They would think it was sand ells coming off the bottom.

I'll have to scan some of my pics from back then, they were not digital. Matt was a little tyke back then, but loved to come with us.

They have teeth sharp as razors, and I have seen them boil the water like piranha. I have heard that some of the attacks on sailor's during WWII were by schools of Bluefish, and I believe it. They are fearless, aggressive and nasty.

Baking them with some oregano and other spices (and sliced fresh tomato from the garden) helped tame the taste. We had it often. We caught too many to eat all of them fresh, so we froze lots of them. I much preferred eating Bonito or Stiped Bass, but it was infrequent that we were able to get them. Blue Fish almost always seemed to be there!

Yes, I can see that you wouldn't want to be mixed up in a school of big ones, for sure. These ones were all much the same size, 14-16 inches and I guess in the shallow estuary they wouldn't be too much bigger. There are some big ones outside though, one guy caught a 90cm (3 foot) one last summer offshore which would have given him plenty! I've never caught a big one, myself.

Here's a bonus pic of Cowgirl with a GT that she caught on a handline off the coast of Cape York (northern-most tip of Oz) in 2015.

Fionas GT.jpg

You missed all the Black Friday sales then, they were 799 for a 28 ton if I remember correctly.

TSC had the 25 ton for $799 + tax, $847 otd. After watching used ones sell all summer for $700, I couldn't jam the ol' Discover card in the scanner fast enough.

Latest posts

Back