Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, unless that is a yard truck there should be plenty of room in the cab.View attachment 783440
Even at that I see at least 6 places for rounds.
View attachment 783442
Forgive me if that's where the saws are; then you may have really run out of truck. ;)
Yep. Thats where all 4 saws were. And spruce is messy. Im not gettin all that sap in my truck.

Went to my Grandfather's place, he had a six-strand barbwire fence around the property (about 45 acres) with a mix of wood posts with a few steel post mixed in here and there. The fence served no real purpose other than to demarcate the property boundaries (imagine a barbwire fence through the middle of the woods). He maintained it from the time he bought it in the 40s until he passed a couple years ago. Most of the wood posts were splits of trees he cut from his property and he split by hand.

Well, some of that fence was probably older than me and it is in bad shape overall. Most of the wood posts are rotted off, some of the steel were rotted off or have gotten brittle and break off, and a lot of trees across the wire).

We went up and drove steel t-posts about every 100 feet or so on that old fence line to ensure we didn't lose the property lines. Took about six hours of cutting wire and pounding posts. We will retrieve some of the good wire (some is high tensile stainless steel) to repurpose on the one stretch of fence we are keeping in place in the field to keep the ATVs out.

All in all a good day, a lot of dead standing that I plan to cut and haul out to the field and pile up, and eventually haul out myself. Some of the timber trees are incredible, cherry, oak, and maple 30 inches across the butt and 100 feet tall (it's canopy locked). Firewood as long as I live, just cutting dead stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

James I like that little bucket setup ya got there. What class 3point is it mounted to? Can you post a few more pics. I got an 8N and that would be a cool setup for the tractor.
I'll get some pics later. Might make a quick video also.

Good on you James, I'll bet the owners were relieved to get him back!
I've picked up a couple dogs out here. Around here dogs are dogs and sometimes they wonder off and need a little help getting home.

No trailer with me today, had to run to the dump for my sister-in-law, didn’t feel like dragging the trailer all the way there. So I got my moneys worth out of this little pick up bedBEDEE41C-095C-4AD5-A078-699A2ABC9425.jpeg5191376F-AEF3-43D1-85AC-A936360AA41D.jpeg2AB0B2FA-5127-432A-88E4-B96639A57F7A.jpegNo trailer with me today, had to run to the dump for my sister-in-law, didn’t feel like dragging the trailer all the way there. So I got my moneys worth out of this little pick up bed

No trailer with me today, had to run to the dump for my sister-in-law, didn’t feel like dragging the trailer all the way there. So I got my moneys worth out of this little pick up bedView attachment 783648View attachment 783649View attachment 783650No trailer with me today, had to run to the dump for my sister-in-law, didn’t feel like dragging the trailer all the way there. So I got my moneys worth out of this little pick up bed
Saw an instance where the frame on one of those small Colorado pickups cracked in half from overloading. Broke right behind the cab. .

Keep an eye on it...might be worth researching if it is a common occurrence or just a one off.

NElogger, by the looks of that grass I hope you keep a fire extinguisher handy. Hot muffler on your truck could start a fire quickly. Neighbour near me loss a field of wheat when his son's new girlfriend decided to bring him a hot plate of food while he was combining. They were sitting in the combine and never noticed the truck lit the stubble behind them. Went across the field quick. I had a close call a few years ago while burning brush. I'm thinking that I would even use a push mower and cut that stubble down where I park. It's raining here now and too muddy to do much, I wish we had a little of your dry weather. Not a very wood productive Christmas holiday season around here.

NElogger, by the looks of that grass I hope you keep a fire extinguisher handy. Hot muffler on your truck could start a fire quickly. Neighbour near me loss a field of wheat when his son's new girlfriend decided to bring him a hot plate of food while he was combining. They were sitting in the combine and never noticed the truck lit the stubble behind them. Went across the field quick. I had a close call a few years ago while burning brush. I'm thinking that I would even use a push mower and cut that stubble down where I park. It's raining here now and too muddy to do much, I wish we had a little of your dry weather. Not a very wood productive Christmas holiday season around here.
I have 2, one on either side in the side boxes. That's something I don't want to have to worry about! I should take my brush cutter over and knock it down, guess I hadn't thought of it. Up until the day I took this picture we had snow on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Saw an instance where the frame on one of those small Colorado pickups cracked in half from overloading. Broke right behind the cab. .

Keep an eye on it...might be worth researching if it is a common occurrence or just a one off.

seen it too. I work at the dealership so I see frames in all sorts of disrepair. I cherry picked this truck when it came in on trade. Had hail damage so they couldn’t retail it and low balled the trade value. It’s a tool to me so looks are not priority.

Second load I had my 6’5” 220lb 25 year old nephew with me. His old Silverado got to haul a load back to his mommas house. Kid is as strong as an OX!!!

Attachments

• 410F64F9-914E-45D6-8883-A17260784E6E.jpeg
    410F64F9-914E-45D6-8883-A17260784E6E.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 640F77A0-21F5-49D4-914F-879AAB7D4480.jpeg
    640F77A0-21F5-49D4-914F-879AAB7D4480.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 2C147FAE-DD07-442B-A259-2AEACE80FB6B.jpeg
    2C147FAE-DD07-442B-A259-2AEACE80FB6B.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back