Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large rounds are no problem at all, I can lower the beam to the ground and roll them right up on it. That is, if I don't want to use the loader/grabble to load them...
SR

Which splitter did you buy, is it the TW-3HD or the TW-3SSR? Both those are very nice pieces! I trust they are a tax write off for your work?

I'd love to have a tractor and bigger toys (I can't write them off) , but your budget for equipment is significantly more than mine. I am also on equal payment terms with the wifey - whatever I buy in toys, she expects equal $$ for travel time to Europe or jewelery or .... whatever outlandish plans she and her sisters come up with :eek:

I'll have to be content with my comparatively pauper-ish gear arrangement :p
Keep those pics coming, you rich ba$tard :D

The second load I scrounged today was brought to you by fine German engineering , Stihl and LiquiMoly .

IMG_20140420_170153.jpg

If you guy's have never heard of LiquiMoly I can tell you that it's a great product and they got some of the best juggs going , I pour my bar lube into the empties , perfect for pouring , the product is even Harley Approved !!!
how do you like the stihl axe?

Which splitter did you buy, is it the TW-3SSR? That is a very nice piece!

I'd love to have a tractor and bigger toys, but your budget for equipment is significantly more than mine. I am also on equal payment terms with the wifey - whatever I buy in toys, she expects equal $$ for travel time to Europe or jewelery or .... whatever outlandish plans she and her sisters come up with :eek:

I'll have to be content with my comparatively pauper-ish gear arrangement :p

My splitter is a TW3 HD, and no it wasn't a tax write off... as for "toys".... You may consider yours a toy, but mine are for work and they save me a lot of money and back breaking work.

Looks like you took a different path in women too, as my better half figures that tractor and splitter is helping "her" too, "she" says, the wood heats her butt too, so she is all for "us" buying things that help BOTH of us. If something isn't working quite right or making too much work, she encourages me to buy what works to solve that problem...

Long ago i made a conscious decision to find someone who likes similar things to what I like, and is willing to invest time and money into those things so I don't have problems buying good tools that help save us money... Why would anyone want a spouse that works against them?? That's just a road to disaster!

BTW, she LOVES to run the splitter! lol

standard.jpg

SR

SR ... glad to hear you're happy with your lot in life - me too.

Pro-rating the cost of my equipment and the number of years I likely have left to gather my own wood for fuel, when factoring in the cost of truck/fuel/insurance/repairs, saw, splitter, steel roof woodshed/shop materials and gear, I'm not saving much over using NatGas if anything, but I do enjoy the work and being self-sufficient, hence, they're toys to keep me fit and in the outdoors as long as possible.

I kid about a lot of things, but re my wife and all kidding aside, I'm a very lucky man! Sweethearts since I was 17 and she was 16. I make jokes about it, but it was actually my idea to make sure she gets same amount of toys as me.

I'm heading out to fire up the toys and my miserable old "obsolete" splitter today ;)

Revturbo977: My aunt used to have the very same shed. IIRC someone else had it and it received storm damage and my uncle took it home and resurrected it. I think they got about 30 years out of it before my cousin built a new one.
that's not mine. It's the homeowners I'm cutting for

Revturbo977 , the splitter works fine , I use it in conjunction with another 4lb maul that I have when I get into stuff that the X25 struggles with , the handle is stout and beefie but I have to fab up a guard for the handle because of splintery wood or my bad aim LOL

SR ... glad to hear you're happy with your lot in life - me too.

Pro-rating the cost of my equipment and the number of years I likely have left to gather my own wood for fuel, when factoring in the cost of truck/fuel/insurance/repairs, saw, splitter, steel roof woodshed/shop materials and gear, I'm not saving much over using NatGas if anything, but I do enjoy the work and being self-sufficient, hence, they're toys to keep me fit and in the outdoors as long as possible.

I kid about a lot of things, but re my wife and all kidding aside, I'm a very lucky man! Sweethearts since I was 17 and she was 16. I make jokes about it, but it was actually my idea to make sure she gets same amount of toys as me.

I'm heading out to fire up the toys and my miserable old "obsolete" splitter today ;)

Wait a second Mountain, you spoiled Dog, you got a splitter!!! Heated the house for 25 yrs with wood an only rented a splitter once, because they delivered Elm logs that would not split. Even the splitter would not split them, so I ended up Noodling them. Now I think I'm spoiled with that new Fiskar Splitting Axe, much lighter than a maul and more effective.

I guess you guys will be happy to know this pile of Ash is gonna meet the tub grinder in the morning to become mulch.
ura6yje6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes its a shame Mike but our company doesn't do firewood,there isnt money in it for them by the time they pay extra staff to process the firewood. It takes 6-9 months before the mulch is ready to sell after its chopped up and then its sold to wholesale customers in 60/80/120 yard loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, that makes perfectly smart business sense. Every tree cut does not need to become just firewood. Lumber, paper products and mulch play a very important role as well. If it isn't profitable for a business to make a product, it would be senseless to produce it. The wood is serving a useful purpose, being turned into mulch, instead of being buried in a landfill. Kind of hard to argue with that.

Back