Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, those spruce sure make some GREAT construction lumber, I try to get every one I can.

A guy give me a fair sized one, for taking it down for him. I milled enough beams out of it to build a loft in my barn, Wish I had a better pict. than this, to show the lumber...

standard.jpg

I can smell your construction lumber, clarice. It smells of scrounged spruce.

SR

images-1.jpeg

I agree with mainewoods, but just FWIW spruce is the second best wood I can get local. ~18MBTU per cord depending on the variety or subspecies. Seasoned one summer still smelling vaguely of turpentine and showing about 18% on the moisture meter it burns fast, and it burns hot. Good for taking the chill off the house in a hurry, then load up some birch to keep the place warm overnight. I am not wild about the chunks that fall off the spruce bark into the living room carpet.

However, I will pass on poplar and alder to save room for my higher BTU woods, spruce and birch.

NB: Spruce is quite desirable locally for log cabin construction, I think it has the highest R value among local woods.

Way to go! If that wood is free, then you are in the top ten for "scrounge of the year". Hopefully you are too busy hauling wood, to respond right now.
drooling emoticon.jpg

01515_53BFsKSdR2Y_600x450.jpg

Rob, Nice looking timbers, great job!

Thanks....

It's not the highest grade lumber, and that's why there's a LOT of them in there! I do that any time I'm working with lower grade lumber or a known weaker species. Why not? The lumber is pretty much FREE. :)

SR

I didn't pass up any spruce , burnt a lot , specially dead standing stuff and the way this spring is going I'm gonna have to find a couple more stems to stay warm till summer shows up .
Will definitely be keeping my eyes open for good spruce from here on in since I just picked up this little slabbing machine .

IMG_20140423_173332.jpg

Had a busy day today. Went on a hike with the wife & dog, did a little cutting & splitting out back, and got done on time to cut the grass for the first time this year. No pictures of the cutting, but I'll post a couple of the hike if you want to see them. The first is looking down on Putnam Lake - CT is to the left of it, NY is to the right. Both States border the lake. The second one is a stream we cross on the way back down.

Attachments

• April242014 003.jpg
    April242014 003.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 79
  • April242014 004.jpg
    April242014 004.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 73
My score today wasn't picture worthy, but i grabbed a 60lb or so red oak round and a few red oak limbs that had been in a dead standing tree. The limbs were so dead that i'm burning them as i type. Going back down to the low 40's tonight, so i had the perfect excuse to fire up my woodstove for clothes dryer duty. This is the latest in april i've ever burned.

Had a busy day today. Went on a hike with the wife & dog, did a little cutting & splitting out back, and got done on time to cut the grass for the first time this year. No pictures of the cutting, but I'll post a couple of the hike if you want to see them. The first is looking down on Putnam Lake - CT is to the left of it, NY is to the right. Both States border the lake. The second one is a stream we cross on the way back down.

I always tell my wife to take a hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a great area to live. My familys from around that way.

Wow - that is a nice find! and you don't even have to buck it up - I'm amazed they're just giving it away.
Way to go! If that wood is free, then you are in the top ten for "scrounge of the year". Hopefully you are too busy hauling wood, to respond right now.
One or two freebees will pop up on my local CL pretty much every day. This was the nicest one this week, but its not rare at all. I didnt pick it up because its almost a half hour out of my way.

I got a nice little load of ash today.
20140425_165148.jpg

There are about 5 jumbo pieces of the trunk yet but I couldn't lift them with out noodling them up and I ran out of room and time.
I would like to go back for more but the smaller stuff is so much easier.
They are cutting down ash like crazy around here.
I also got 4 smaller ash logs and 3 pine posts at 24' not sure what I am going to do with those when I get them home.
I am trying to think of something that the kids can play on. Maybe a obstacle course or fort.

Chad

The electric co is taking down the dead and dying ash trees along the power lines they cut it up in 3-4' pieces and pile it.
The wood belongs to the property owners and you nee to ask them if they want it.
Some just put up a sign saying free.
I drop by and ask or leave a note too.
I saw this one on the way home from my boys soccer practice with a free sign and the rest of it was from my neighbor.
The power co is charging all customers about $3-5/ mo. till it is done to pay for the work if I remember right.
I guess I am paying for it in part.
Chad

I went down and scrounged some Tamarack and Paper Birch out of the wood yard.

Yeah I know, not "scrounging," but I got to use the wheeler and my wagon.

The woods are still too wet to take the wheeler and wagon out there. I would of shredded the trails coming back loaded down.

Large day here today , soaked in some of it .

IMG_20140426_105108.jpg

IMG_20140426_105051.jpg

Well , enough of the soaking , back to work !
Get in and scrounge where you can .

IMG_20140426_113216.jpg

I topped up that small load of hardwood with some dead standing spruce to fill the UTV :)
I went back this afternoon and snatched some hardwood leaners .

IMG_20140426_170849.jpg

I sure miss the snow and the use of the Ronco Inc wood hauler :(
Definitely gonna haveta mechanize .
Not a full load but maple for next year :)

IMG_20140426_172551.jpg

Latest posts

Back