Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large day here today , soaked in some of it .

IMG_20140426_105108.jpg

IMG_20140426_105051.jpg

Well , enough of the soaking , back to work !

More soaking please Dan!!! Much more of that wonderful soaking, please...

Well , I have to admit that it sure was nice to be out there in a tee shirt all afternoon for the first time this year ,50 and sunny :)
I was outta dead dry spruce , still have a fire every day and didn't want to burn more of next year's hardwood , we still have lows of 30 this week and next :(

It was sunny 50's here today, a VERY nice day to be in the woodlot!

I managed to get a nice pile of oak split. WOW, much of this was VERY stringy and big crotches that were tough! The more I use this splitter, the more I'm impressed with it's power and speed!

standard.jpg

With that done, I backed my tractor/splitter over to a small pile of Aspen and split that too,

standard.jpg

LOT'S to go, but I'm gaining on it! :)

SR

Load #3 in as many weeks.

How I got this load (and load #2)
CL. Person wanted to sell it for $100.
I emailed and said "if you get tired of looking at the wood I'll haul it off".
Not saying out right that I wouldn't pay for the wood but inferring it.
We agreed on $25. I'm cheap, not broke, so no big deal and he did help a lot in loading it.
emepe6ap.jpg
vymyja4u.jpg

I'm worn out.

IMG_20140427_144554.jpg

There's got to be some stuff after the tree line ... I hope .
I did manage to find a bit of spruce .

IMG_20140427_144559.jpg

Then I went back in and found some hardwood that the surveyors knocked down when blazing lines .
Drug it out of the woods to my yellow hardhat and then drug it to the UTV .

IMG_20140427_153701.jpg

Yes , there's a yellow dot in the pic .

IMG_20140427_155429.jpg

Not a big load today but it's wood that I didn't have yesterday :)

IMG_20140427_160841.jpg

Gonna haveta mechanize to speed up production LOL

One of my many side jobs is launching boats for people who cant do it themselves for whatever reason. This morning I go pick up a boat, and at the house next door I notice a single 14" round at the curb, no one around. Didnt really think much of it, but when I came back to drop off the trailer 20 minutes later, there were 3 rounds sitting at the curb, still no one around. I knock on the door, its a pretty old guy whos selling his house and is throwing out his wood pile. It was about half a truck load varying from fresh cut to rotten oak.
To top it off, next week in taking down a couple trees in his yard for a few hundred bucks.

1610100_10201914006272474_2069820001607104699_n.jpg

Well I'm back to legit scrounging. :)

I was out clearing the trails and got two small partial sugar maple blow downs. I got 1.5 wagon loads.

I brought the phone back out with me after I brought in the first load and went out to finish.

5C850AA1-16FC-4613-BC97-E29066380775_zpsvsg9bksx.jpg

8A85BB5A-D647-4F9F-BDA3-D568A3ADE8E7_zpsoylhr16c.jpg

I'm still eyeballing a really nice one but will wait until things dry out more.

I usually don't mess with pine but this was too good to pass up. Root rot and a heavy wind took it down last fall and over the winter it de-barked itself. The only rotten spot was right at the bottom of the trunk, everything else was good wood.
P1050178_zps205f7ff0.jpg

P1050162_zps4a2f868f.jpg

This was a real bonus...where the tree broke was almost solid pitch wood. We shave that into thumb size chunks and use it for fire starter.
P1050166_zps311ffa4a.jpg

I usually don't mess with pine but this was too good to pass up. Root rot and a heavy wind took it down last fall and over the winter it de-barked itself. The only rotten spot was right at the bottom of the trunk, everything else was good wood.
P1050178_zps205f7ff0.jpg

P1050162_zps4a2f868f.jpg

This was a real bonus...where the tree broke was almost solid pitch wood. We shave that into thumb size chunks and use it for fire starter.
P1050166_zps311ffa4a.jpg
One bigggg pine

flippy3.jpg flippy4.jpg
Did some playing in the bush today too. Just driving around with my Steiner and dropping leaners and dead trees to make it safe for the bigger tractor. Also making some old trails wide enough for my Kubota. Really getting tired of doing this to my coveralls. This darn 260 is driving my nuts.
flippy1.jpg flippy2.jpg

Nice Tree - Good photo! I think that is a potential nominee for a coveted WoodChuckers Award :D
Please don't tell me you are also flinging those big rounds onto the back of a truck by hand before splitting them, or I will have to hang up my saws and head for my recliner for good :p

Latest posts

Back