Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got into some of the big oak at the school this weekend, was fun putting the new-to-me Dolmar from @Logger nate to the test!

49450ad8d6dafb3e05cc11d174714881.jpg

Ran the new chain into the dirt the day before, so was definitely cutting tentative, extra careful not to do it again! Pretty new to bucking bigger logs (so feedback welcome) but no pinched bars or dirted chains or Injuries, so I’d call it a success overall [emoji16]

I only use my faceshield when facing north lol

Then tried out the woodchuck peavey to clear this spot out for parents to park this week.

Gonna be 18 tonight, finally some actual cold (for here anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice purchase smacktooth, plenty of regulars in the wood scrounging thread with ps7900’s

I have a Millermod 7910 it's my go to saw. View attachment 790491
Very nice!! Those are fantastic saws! Have the best balance/feel of any mid size saw to me. They feel lighter than what the scale says. Lots of torque, probably one the best power to weight saws, especially ported.
I like auto tune a lot because I change elevation quite a bit and the 7900’s are kind of tricky to tune with the limited coil (at least for me) . My perfect saw=auto tune 7900:yes::)

Hard to beat power/weight of the new 462 right out of the box … and it has M Tronic!

For sharpening, I prefer to square file by hand with a stump vice.

For round, the 12 V can work real nice, just make sure you replace the grinding stone with an EZ Lap diamond stone … they transform a piece of crap into a real nice sharpener!

What is the simplest sharpener?

If you scroll up to the pic Philbert posted, the file guide with the saw in the log I would say this probably the best starting point.

Agreed. Works with any chain. Been around for ever. Get one for each size file / chain pitch you use.

Philbert

What is the simplest sharpener? Not necessarily the best but the one designed to be idoit proof. Because in my case they made a better idoit when it comes to sharpening. Could also be a grinder
Idiot proof would be the Granberg File N Joint. Once you have the angles set it’s just a matter of going through the motions.

I use the basic Oregon file guide. It’s pretty simple as long as you keep the side to side angle uniform between the cutters.

Hard to beat power/weight of the new 462 right out of the box … and it has M Tronic!

For sharpening, I prefer to square file by hand with a stump vice.

For round, the 12 V can work real nice, just make sure you replace the grinding stone with an EZ Lap diamond stone … they transform a piece of crap into a real nice sharpener!
Yeah bought one, figured out why their so light, stupid floppy caps leak and bar oil and gas is always empty!
They are nice saws but seriously this one is year old and both caps leak, I’ve had 25 year old saws with old style caps that never leaked.

Idiot proof would be the Granberg File N Joint. Once you have the angles set it’s just a matter of going through the motions.
Gotta disagree @svk . I really like the Granberg File-N-Jpint, but it is far from. 'idiot-proof'. The instructions stink; I see lots of them on backwards in eBay ads; easy to set too high/too low; lots of things to adjust; and untold numbers of them sitting in drawers, etc.

For @David Gruber the basic file holder fixes the file height (top plate cutting bevel, typically 60°) and provides guidance on the top plate filing angle (typically 30°) and 'down angle' (typically 0°). If the user has the right size file, the file is sharp, and the chain is somewhat stable, all they have to do is concentrate on moving it smoothly and steadily.
photo 3.jpg
Then going back and doing the depth gauges.
photo 7.jpg

Of course, it helps to know what they are trying to achieve: what a sharp cutter looks like. But there is a reason why these basic sharpening tools have been around for so long. Simple, and work with every (normal) chain.

Philbert

Lots of ways to sharpen; everyone has to find something that works for them!

View attachment 790439

I mentioned the cordless Dremel since you seemed happy with them, except for the walk!

Philbert

Hey Philbert is that latchy guide thing top of the Stihl bar a part of that stump vise? Looks cool. Mine doesn’t have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CT 2020 is scheduled:

Doing this again. April 18 is the date. Who’s in?
Dan Larrivee
502 Plain Hill Rd
Norwich CT 06360

The Upstate NY was 5/5 last year. Will post when it is scheduled for this year.

The Cutting Edge
447 State Rt 29
Greenwich NY 12834

NY is bigger and has more stuff, CT is more personal and more time to talk with and meet those who attend.

Yeah bought one, figured out why their so light, stupid floppy caps leak and bar oil and gas is always empty!
They are nice saws but seriously this one is year old and both caps leak, I’ve had 25 year old saws with old style caps that never leaked.

Strange, I have had very little trouble with leaking flippy caps … have more problems with the older style ones.

Also, my 462 gives me good run time. I have a 20" light bar on it, but it is always in hardwood.

Strange, I have had very little trouble with leaking flippy caps … have more problems with the older style ones.

Also, my 462 gives me good run time. I have a 20" light bar on it, but it is always in hardwood.
That’s good, I’m glad you got some good ones.

They do seem to be pretty efficient. The mtronic seems to work very well, good power for stock saw, especially for the weight.

I think the main frustration with the flippy caps (and I would have designed them differently) is that they only drop once every 360*. I would have made them so they drop down ever 1/3 turn, then they would be much easier to use.

Also, when some of my 660s sit for while, I need the screwdriver to loosen them, never need a tool with the floppy's.

Does ok. Noticeably slower then the one for the 590 but I think I can pick up a little bit and keep it durable.

Is it slower if it was on the 590.
I think it looks like its doing a great job.
Chains a bit tight in the video and the saw could be leaned out a bit, although that doesn't always give better performance you have to check the saw to see what it likes, 2 series huskys like to be run fat to make good power.
Although I like using square chain I'm not into filing it, so I would bring extras if I wanted to keep it fast. I prefer grinding and when I do I make them cut well but very durable, for most users I see no real advantage, but I like how smooth it cuts as it's safer(that's coming from a non-safety freak sort of guy lol). When it gets dull I usually have a saw there with a sharp chain and plenty of round in the box in case.
Dropped these last night, square 20" on the 576, ran out of bar with about 8-10" to go. Then grabbed the mmws2171(it has heat and my hands were getting cold :)) with a 24 round chain.
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.30.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.32.09 PM.png
Then I dropped this pine which can be seen in the picture above on the other side of the pool.
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.29.51 PM.png

I think the main frustration with the flippy caps (and I would have designed them differently) is that they only drop once every 360*. I would have made them so they drop down ever 1/3 turn, then they would be much easier to use.

Also, when some of my 660s sit for while, I need the screwdriver to loosen them, never need a tool with the floppy's.
Yeah I haven’t really had much trouble taking them on and off other than fuel spray when loosening gas cap. It’s just a over complicated, unnecessary design that doesn’t work well IMO. Sthil vs husky thing aside I like the husky caps way better.
My son bought a new 661 in 2015 and caps started leaking after the first month.

Back