Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I though as much...I have hundreds of these in my piles. They seem to leave once they see daylight...

Any tricks to discourage them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Don't know for sure how to get rid of them other than some type of pesticide. They don't usually infest houses. Google them to see if there are any suggestions.

When they banned bags here a year or two ago the media made a big deal of it.
Honestly it’s easy to always keep some reusable bags in the car and never get caught out. Everyone’s use to it now life goes on.

I use the cloth bags...when I remember them and I'm getting better at that. I save and reuse the small bags to put loose produce in.

I bought a gate that the guy did the same thing...top was buckled in, I needed the hardware for a good gate.

I plan to keep that damaged gate, at some point there won't be anymore...even a damaged one will be better than none.

They ain't cheap to buy anymore...
989553a82f9e9615bb87c290e4c7063c.jpg

I'm on my third tailgate on the 89 F150. 1st one got so dished in from loading heavy rounds it wouldn't close any more. 2nd one died from backing into a tree too hard. Over the years that old truck has acquired so many 'beauty marks that a junkyard would reject it.

I've also heard that China is no longer importing plastic waste (mainly from the US) as a means to force recycling in their own country?

Not just plastic, They are refusing almost anything for two reasons. The profit in dealing iwht recycle just isn't there anymore, plus too man scum bags tossing outright garbage into the bins. Our county went "single stream". All recyclables in the same bin to be shipped. A couple of years of them complaining about too much garbage did no good until it resulted in them refusing to allow a shipload to be off-loaded. No more recycling here now unless you want to haul to the county dump where they will still accept a few things.

Well made some progress on refilling the wood shed29E89235-68A7-451E-8039-2286C3E2D352.jpegDaughter informed us she can’t talk to use because we are “toxic” and “emotionally abusive” because of our comments about her husband not wanting to work. Originally she came to us complaining about it but somehow he convinced her we’re the bad guys now, so I had some extra motivation, figured better to split wood than do what I wanted :nofunny:. He had a good job driving log truck but quit cause it was too emotionally draining, or something like that. Now they want to move to Oregon cause there’s more free aid and they can smoke poto_O.
Sorry, usually try not to post anything negative.
How about another wood picture :)86F59319-A66E-47C2-A0CD-CD836FAFB164.jpeg

Our ten day forecast continues to improve!!

For those not familiar with my area, we are lucky to get a 2 or 3 day “January thaw”. To have an extended thaw in late December and again in January is almost unheard of.
View attachment 791524

Same here. We have been running about 20 degrees above normal for a couple of weeks. Today it is pushing 30 degrees above. Normal hi is about 30. lasst couple of days it was into low 40s, today 47 and more to come. What little snow we did get a couple weeks ago is gone except for a few remnants of drifts.

Ifthe 7 day forecast holds, I'll be out cutting wood Monday and Tuesday. I was out manual splitting for a couple hours this morning. No frost in the ground, it rained almost all night - ground? Damp, no mud.

Well made some progress on refilling the wood shedView attachment 791569Daughter informed us she can’t talk to use because we are “toxic” and “emotionally abusive” because of our comments about her husband not wanting to work. Originally she came to us complaining about it but somehow he convinced her we’re the bad guys now, so I had some extra motivation, figured better to split wood than do what I wanted :nofunny:. He had a good job driving log truck but quit cause it was too emotionally draining, or something like that. Now they want to move to Oregon cause there’s more free aid and they can smoke poto_O.
Sorry, usually try not to post anything negative.
How about another wood picture :)View attachment 791571
No matter how old they get we are programmed to be protective. It's a curse at times. Some lessons have to be learnt the hard way. All you can do is be there to help pick up the pieces when the proverbial hits the twirly thing. Of course the guy would like you to push it further so he can isolate her even more. Dont give him the satisfaction. Good luck. Sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing.

One of my managers at UPS thought the moral in our work area was lacking. Being a shop steward he asked me why. Our work area was the only full time, in side jobs, at UPS in the Atlantic region, and there were only 80 of us, so we were largely forgotten. I told him all the other work areas had dinners or breakfasts a couple times a year. It would be nice if he did something for us. He rented a park for the day, we were on the night shift, and threw a big crab feast for us. Crabs, dogs, burgers, and BEER. At the end of the day I asked one of the vendors if could have one of the bushel baskets because I did a little crabbing in the summer. He pointed at several that had lids on them and said take what you want. I got over and looked at them, yelled back, hey, these are all full. He said that health dept, regulations say they can't reuse the baskets for cooked crabs. He yelled back, we're just going to throw them away, might as well take the full ones. I took 3 bushels of crabs home. Our cook outs became the envy of all the divisions, and our moral did improve a lot. The last year they did the cook out for us they waited till all the drivers were on the road and had it inside our building. The building holds over 400 package trucks. Oh, and the last year, no BEER, it was socially unexceptionable to give employ's alcohol on the job.

We used to have an annual thing at the factory I worked at until one year one of us parked his car inside the local grocery store.

End of parties.

I'm on my third tailgate on the 89 F150. 1st one got so dished in from loading heavy rounds it wouldn't close any more. 2nd one died from backing into a tree too hard. Over the years that old truck has acquired so many 'beauty marks that a junkyard would reject it.
Here's a pic of the dent. It's really a small dent I can live with. Itsjust that this isn't supposed to be a work truck, and it's 1 year birthday was 3 weeks ago.20200124_094621.jpg

No matter how old they get we are programmed to be protective. It's a curse at times. Some lessons have to be learnt the hard way. All you can do is be there to help pick up the pieces when the proverbial hits the twirly thing. Of course the guy would like you to push it further so he can isolate her even more. Dont give him the satisfaction. Good luck. Sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing.
Well said, thank you.

Had a meeting with my boss and the sales manager at the Sporting Clays range at 11am then Lunch. Got home around 2 and went out splitting and stacking. Then a fellow member pulls in to chat a bit.... said “there’s only one blue splitter like yours, that’s how I knew this was your place”. Super nice guy! Fun chatting...

Not just plastic, They are refusing almost anything for two reasons. The profit in dealing iwht recycle just isn't there anymore, plus too man scum bags tossing outright garbage into the bins. Our county went "single stream". All recyclables in the same bin to be shipped. A couple of years of them complaining about too much garbage did no good until it resulted in them refusing to allow a shipload to be off-loaded. No more recycling here now unless you want to haul to the county dump where they will still accept a few things.
We still have curbside recycling, but it's picky...they won't take everything.

I still send my recycling out, stockpile it then take it to the office.

Here's a pic of the dent. It's really a small dent I can live with. Itsjust that this isn't supposed to be a work truck, and it's 1 year birthday was 3 weeks ago.View attachment 791575
Mines just about the same place Joe. :dumb2:
I Stihl remember how and where it happened. 10 years ago.:crazy2:

Seems banning the check out ones is a rather pointless then. There are far more of the little ones going out the door.
It's all window dressing. A compliant utterly mindless population grabbing any potential solution the politicians hand them rather than accept the problem is so much more complex and interwoven into our daily lives. Frankly, any climate or viral catastrophe that hits us eventually, is well deserved and long overdue. i hope it wipes out large chunks of the population and the remaining start waking the F up to our roles in preserving and restoring for future generations.

Here is my kindling splitter:
dac838d430ebfd3abdce674b06ca8fbd.jpg

Anyone else made something like this?

Haven’t kept up with the paper vs plastic bag discussion, but I loved hearing folks’ owl stories. Maybe need to start an owl thread [emoji1657]! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s pretty cool, good idea.

Well said, thank you.
Thanks. Doing nothing is easy to say but not easy to do, so I do wish you luck with it. To be honest, I see too many people who are, in so many different ways, on self-destruct missions. Not saying that's the case with your daughter or her not so significant other, but here I seem to be a magnet for 'em. It got to the point a wee while back I decided I had to cut a few people off because it eventually starts to take a toll on me and those around me I care about. I'm not talking family in need but dysfunctional friends. The most recent one is a mom of two young kids who left her class A junkie father of the kids to make a better life but hasn't been able to make it stick. She'll be back down that road shortly and I've had to cut her loose bc it was messing not just with me but family. She'll absolutely screw up, and all I'm prepared to do is step in to save the kids when (not if) the time comes they are seriously neglected. Until then, best outcome is I'm proven to be so very wrong.

Latest posts

Back