Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So........
I got an email invitation to go interview for the service manager position at the Chevrolet dealership in Danbury Conneticut. I think I’m going to thank them for considering but decline. I’ve always been a super loyal employee and the current dealership is the one that moved me from Mechanic to Management

But........ half of me says it’s only a 1:15 drive, let’s see what the offer is...... it might be substantially more than I make now
If you are working for the man you need to look out for yourself and your family first. See what they offer you....

Thank you! I think she will, she was totally different before she met him. Worked hard, always paid her bills on time, kind, put God first in her life, loved family, so the foundation is there.
Good luck. It’s tough with relationships because frankly I think people don’t like to admit that they chose a ****** partner.

Sorry if you already mentioned it but is your 462 muffler modded or anything?

The 462 has a mild muffler mod … 2 - 1/4" holes drilled in the muffler cover.

The 10 mm 044 has a dp muff cover, base gasket delete, timing advance, and a winter (screen) air filter. It is a very strong running saw, and has beat a ported 044.

I've timed the 044 and 462 against each other a couple of times, and they are about equal.

At -32 I dont think my splitter would start. Cause i would probably just stay inside by the stove.

LOL, me, too! for the same reasons... wow be to me if I ran out of firewood and it was -32f and I needed it... yikes!

Sounds like a great place!! Snow let up and sun came out for a bit yesterday, -10 but nice to see the sunView attachment 789182Thanks to some inspiration from Oh and last picture is deer at the ex mayors house in town, he feeds them in winter. When they get low on feed they kick at the door with their front feet.

nice wide angle snow pix! I liked it. I have seen and been around such places as those over in eastern Washington when it would snow...

Nice pics Nate, lots of work to do, but it sure is rewarding. I've almost reached the midway point in using wood and loading wood. I have just over half of one bay left in the shed for this yr and around half full for next season loaded in. I think the rounds pile I'm splitting from will get it real close to filling next seasons wood up. The good thing is I have plenty more for many yrs beyond. I'm hoping to stay on top of filling the bay I'm burning from this yr, so as soon as this season is over it will be loaded for two seasons from now. View attachment 789232 ]

hi chipper - your 'he shed' is looking good there, what with all the stacked firewood in it... :D

Dancan, I actually miss Clint like crazy. I remember when the Jeep slid off on him, that was crazy!! But we used to have some good posts way back then. I came over to this section when I got tired of the pissing match over in Chainsaw about who the best builder was..... firewood always was the end result for me, yeah I love engines and a chainsaw is a hand held engine. But bottom line is, keeping my family warm was the priority.

you guys do great!, imo. always interesting posts here. for some its this or that! others a saw to post of comment about. some sure do impressive work on gathering n making wood. for me the end result is always the fire... :D

P7040006.JPG P7030002.JPG P7040014.JPG
and a fireside milkshake now n then, too. lol
P7030012.JPG

After I hauled the load of wood I totally redid the wiring harness on my plow. Doggone the 12 pin connector wasn’t the immediate problem, one of the wires in the other 3 pin had gone bad. Fixed that too so now we are totally re-wired and knock on wood, good for a while.
:dumb::dumb::dumb:

:numberone:

way to go, svk!, sometimes chasing down elec issues can be a real pain...

Snow is coming down. We are expecting 4-8” overnight and 1-3” tomorrow. I already plowed 3” that came yesterday.
View attachment 789457

sure do like all the swell snow pix! can't say 'wish I was there!' lol, but sure do like seeing all the pix. days gone by...

So Matt, the next time you ponder having another that you don't think you should have … just think of some of my old friends.

Jimmy, Baby John, Wolfman, Big Al, Tim B. and Franky I. are all gone, and only one of them was older than me. Goon and Kevin are also both younger than me and are both are currently in rehab facilities. Kevin has not been able to drive his own hot rod for over a decade.

Then remember what your Grandfather used to say: "Mother Nature gives you the fist 40 years, after that you better work on it"! The older I get, the truer that becomes!

sure is MM, and mobility is the key! gotta be able to freely move about. then comes motivation. some days you wonder :wtf: and then there are days and you feel like :chainsaw:. weather can help. all this assumes a semblance of good health. always best to go easy on the :drinking:

Pretty excited to see how these turn out, going to do a detail strip/clean on both saws. Dug into the 036 Pro already, doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned out, lots of muck and crud in it.

Headed to my Grandfather's place tomorrow to finish bucking his woodpile (he'll have enough for a few years there). Might touch up the chain on the 038 AV Super and see how it cuts. View attachment 789493View attachment 789494

good saw bench top Levi... can't hurt it! :D

I was putting down a minimum of 2 6packs a day from mid 20s into my late 70s. Working shift work and using it to get sleep in. Wife kept complaining about it but... Anyhow Icut it waaayyy back and now 3-4 brews a day.

hi tk - I would say something... :rolleyes: but no need to. imo, your age speaks volumes. I just hope I am doing half as well as you when I catch up to you... :yes:

:clap:

Welp, time to go get a bacon egg and cheese then start cutting. Trust me Uncle Mike, I’ve cut wayyyy back from last year. Used to be about 18 a day, everyday. Now just the weekends.

hi MM, for sure. I am always up for a good breakfast on a cold day, chores ahead... fresh yard eggs, hash browns and sausage... other day.
P7020016.JPG

Pics aren’t the best cause it’s snowy. Another widow maker down. One more widow maker and two totem poles to go in this area, at least from what I can see. The second widow maker has a lean and the crown is hanging from the tree rather than being tangled up so should be a bit easier.

View attachment 789614 View attachment 789615 View attachment 789616 View attachment 789619

wow! good pix!! ~ reminds me of skiing thru the trees in the high Cascades...or down an old logging road...

Well it snowed off and on all day, and is still snowing!

Progress was slow but got a second load laid in this afternoon. Ended up using the second widow maker up to the break, a few rounds off the bottom of one totem pole before it turned punky, and the entire trunk off the last totem pole.

View attachment 789807 View attachment 789809 View attachment 789810

One of many splits that was loaded with flying ants. I left them out for the birds but they were covered in snow fairly quickly. Those rounds are stored outside until they will be put directly into the boiler.
View attachment 789811

Outside and inside racks are full.
View attachment 789812 View attachment 789813
Bonus of some cast iron cookware in the last pic that I’m restoring.

I was a wet and tired boy after all of that plus a couple hours of plowing. Dinner was three burrito sized tacos and a bacon cheeseburger. Cornbread for dessert.

swell pix, svk! fyi - I had to and put on my flannel slippers! lol ;)

Back