Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be surprised if most people in this thread dont cut solo more often then they cut with someone around. The last time I ran a saw with someone else around was @farmer steve GTG last year.
I’m always solo. Unless I make a kid come help load or if we have a road work day.

How is you wood usage this winter looking compared to the previous few years?

Winter started a bit early this year in Michigan and the temps dropped quick. But shortly after that it became a mild winter.

Id say iv used a bit less than normal. We usually use closer to 7 cord. This year i bet 6 cord will do it. Or real close to that. We will see how February treats us. That is when the real cold hits.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Yeah our use is down a little, had some cold earlier but over all warmer than usual. I’ll give some wood away or sell it to make up for it though ; )

Nate looks quite remote, do you usually head out by yourself? I do sometimes head out into the state forest by myself but even with good PPE I’m very reluctant in case something goes wrong.
Yeah I do. I enjoy going by myself but would be better to go with someone. Got a garmin in reach for Christmas so at least I can communicate if needed. And our son moving back this spring so he will probably be going with me some. Have first aid kit in pickup but I need to start carrying one with me, most chainsaw work is done 200’ or more from the road. When I was logging we taped a female pad inside our hard hat for chainsaw cuts.

Not sure why, but it is extra satisfying to see that ole hoss trailer full of firewood.
I agree:)

Yea, beer sounds real nice, unless you are doing an extreme workout! Then it is the last thing in the world you want to drink if you hope to recover and keep going!

A lot of the sports drinks, like Heed and Perpetuim can make a big difference in how long you can keep going, but you have to be careful with some of them.

The Perpetuim has proteins, which can make a big difference during an extreme workout, but you have to make sure you keep hydrating to flush the stuff from your system, or you can have kidney problems. Heed is better for the lighter workouts (no proteins). I often mixed the two of them depending on the length of the ride.

Heck yeah!
Good number of scrounged wood in there too :rock:.
7:02-7:08 o_O:laughing::lol:.

I've always thought most the spectators were just as crazy as the drivers :yes:.
Yeah kind of a rough way to get a tree down, lol.
I was going to say, wonder how many spectators get killed? That’s crazy!

Yep, a lot of my tree work is by myself, then I bring others around when the trees are on the ground to help with cleanup.
Yesterday I had my son and neighbor there with me. I dropped a cherry and a locust for him. I may get the locust wood, we'll see. He has a few more in the field he wants down too, I was ready, but he wasn't lol.

Cheater! Lol, looks good Brett. Tree work would be pretty challenging by yourself sometimes.

L
Well I told my wife I think I have an addiction....:omg::oops:

Seems all I can think about is going out cutting wood. One of my favorite places to go is about 25 miles away, 18 miles paved, rest one lane gravel road at about 6500’. Very pretty area, not much traffic. Usually see a nice sun rise on the way outView attachment 793620 Get done loading the trailer around mid dayView attachment 793621Pretty warm by then but not too hot in the shade. Nice cold snow melt stream near by to wash off some sweat and saw dust and cool down. View attachment 793628 Then find a shady spot to take a napView attachment 793622Normally a nice breeze blowing, no cell service, no cars or people at least for an hour, incredibly peaceful and relaxing. Start heading back after that, feel the diesel pulling the weight well up over the pass and have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Can’t wait till spring!
Yeah I got it bad.. lol.

Nice OBS!

My wood hauler/farm truck is a 97 F350 CCLB 4X4. Mines the thirsty 460 though.

SS, do you bike Minnewaska? The wife and I used to do it every year, pack lunch and go into the back lake to go swimming. Great views, a nice swim and some good exercise.

Not so much plenty of hiking . But mostly in the cold or summer misting/drizzle . Way to many people from the cities for my taste.

Yea, beer sounds real nice, unless you are doing an extreme workout! Then it is the last thing in the world you want to drink if you hope to recover and keep going!

If I was recovering I would be in AA :)

I kid, I kid! Great program that has worked for many.

While I'm thinkin about it since cutting by yourself was brought up, do you guys carry IFAK's? (Individual First Aid Kit)? I have been piecing an IFAK together for, ya know, boog, but an IFAK would be great as an EDC thing (Every Day Carry). Let me know if you guys need links to product pages or youtube vids on building IFAK's
I carry a decent one for most minor injuries.

I bought trauma kits for my field crews because if something happened, it's going to be critical (heavy equipment or explosion)...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,,,
Picked up a couple of these small logs this morning,,, figured it may be Locust,, can anyone confirm? There's a bit more of it,,,
Thanks...
Not locust John. Looks like hackberry from the real rough bark. Decent for firewood. Might be a little stringy when you split it.

Thanks guys,,, looked like locust from pics I saw online,,, seems to be right color,,, not sure of teh bark,, these were smaller pieces,,, I'm gettin over a knee problem, and didn't want to push it on teh big pieces!!!! It was on the street side of a fence it fell on,,, I'd ask teh HO before getting any out of the yard, tho...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=PICURE+OF+LOCUST+LOG&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https://cdn.instructables.com/FNM/N3ZZ/I7KB58U9/FNMN3ZZI7KB58U9.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&&frame=1&fit=bounds

Thanks guys,,, looked like locust from pics I saw online,,, seems to be right color,,, not sure of teh bark,, these were smaller pieces,,, I'm gettin over a knee problem, and didn't want to push it on teh big pieces!!!! It was on the street side of a fence it fell on,,, I'd ask teh HO before getting any out of the yard, tho...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=PICURE+OF+LOCUST+LOG&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https://cdn.instructables.com/FNM/N3ZZ/I7KB58U9/FNMN3ZZI7KB58U9.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&&frame=1&fit=bounds
Here's a locust tree by my wood pile John .
20191230_125436.jpg

Not locust John. Looks like hackberry from the real rough bark. Decent for firewood. Might be a little stringy when you split it.
That's what I was thinking too. Certainly not black Locust.
That's what I was gonna say but I dont remember the hackberry having a color core like that
And this.

The cambium is always real light colored on black Locust with some color in the middle.
We have a few blackberry here, but I haven't cut one in quite a while, most are right along the edge of the rd by my accessory drive. Maybe I should go cut one to check lol.

Thanks for teh pics,,, but that is a pretty old tree,,, these are much younger, got cut off to teh ground ,, its no more than ten-12" caliper at ground level...
Here's a fresh cut and split,, not stringy at all, one shot with teh maul!!!!! I'm just curious of type,,, I've seen this yellow core before,,, and its gonna get burned!!!!
May as well finish blocking and splitting, suppose to rain tomorrow!!!
Thanks again!

Attachments

• P9020066.JPG
    P9020066.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P9020065.JPG
    P9020065.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P9020064.JPG
    P9020064.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts