Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they just cut them loose with the hook/line still stuck in their mouth?
On big fish we catch and release we pull them along side the boat, and cut the line with a fillet knife, as close to the cheek as possible. We were told the hooks actually rust out in a very short time and pose no danger to the fish. I didn't watch the video, so I didn't see how much line was left with the hook. This one we boated for pics, so we pulled the hook.
r21rKa7.jpg

Hxqx5al.jpg

Regarding the hook dissolving when left in a fish: I have heard that but I question if it dissolves fast enough to not impact the fish's eating. I have caught and released a number of larger freshwater game fish that were deeply hooked. I can only hope they were able to pass it through. But I guess even if a few survive that is a higher number than if they had met my filet knife.

Hey guys, if anyone wants any Trilink stuff I am going to make a run to L and M tomorrow and pick up a few things. They are dropping the Trilink line so whats left is on clearance-most stuff is 50 percent off.

Trilink is not top of the line but I have had great results with their products. For instance I bought a bar and chain combo a couple of years ago. The bar lasted for at least 25 cords and the chain is still in my rotation with about 1/3 life left. The combo cost me $14 bucks so great mileage IMO.

Hey guys, if anyone wants any Trilink stuff I am going to make a run to L and M tomorrow and pick up a few things. They are dropping the Trilink line so whats left is on clearance-most stuff is 50 percent off.

Trilink is not top of the line but I have had great results with their products. For instance I bought a bar and chain combo a couple of years ago. The bar lasted for at least 25 cords and the chain is still in my rotation with about 1/3 life left. The combo cost me $14 bucks so great mileage IMO.
Be interested in some chains , couple of each, 3/8 .058 36"/115dl and 24 " /84dl for my 395xp . And 3/8 .050 25" /84dl and 28"/91dl PM if its doable

WOW!!!

That is crazy!

Next time you find one of those would you mind sharing some pictures?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
They pulled this one out up North a month or so ago:
RCDJQEQTFRCOLHWBPF4PAD7ITU.jpg

AJDK374T4ZFZFBESW6MC2L6WOA.jpg

Gonna need a bigger mill!

I know where a few logs are up there but don't know how big and will never find out because the area is a very crucial wetland swamp and there's no way I'm even telling anyone about them in case word gets to some bastid (there are many, only a few get prosecuted unfortunately) who would tear that wetland apart.

Worked on the Harbor freight winch today, bought a new electronic solenoid thinking that was what was wrong with it since I could get the motor going in and out on the f1 f2 connections. All wired still nothing so I delved in deeper. Checked the power cable all good all other cables checked out ok . Getting power to the switch now I'm stumped . Had the test light grounded at the battery. Hooked it up to the ground in the control box . Natta,traced the ground to a post coming out of the sealed box . Sure enough it was broken . Jumped it everything works even with the old solenoid.

I didn't do my first rule KISS . I could have fixed it with a 29 cent stainless steel bolt. So now I have two winches and an extra solenoid. But I do like the Smittybilt winch that that replaced the HF one. Much smoother and no delay on the wireless remote this is the offending bolt 20200211_181405.jpg

Be interested in some chains , couple of each, 3/8 .058 36"/115dl and 24 " /84dl for my 395xp . And 3/8 .050 25" /84dl and 28"/91dl PM if its doable
PM sent. I am going to be driving by two or three of them tomorrow so we may as well "scrounge" the good deals!

They pulled this one out up North a month or so ago:
RCDJQEQTFRCOLHWBPF4PAD7ITU.jpg

AJDK374T4ZFZFBESW6MC2L6WOA.jpg

Gonna need a bigger mill!

I know where a few are up there but don't know how big and will never find out because the area is a very crucial wetland swamp and there's no way I'm even telling anyone about them in case word gets to some bastid (there are many, only a few get prosecuted unfortunately) who would tear that wetland apart.

There are NOT ENOUGH axles under that trailer for that!!! Overload for sure

Good gosh man!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Regarding the hook dissolving when left in a fish: I have heard that but I question if it dissolves fast enough to not impact the fish's eating. I have caught and released a number of larger freshwater game fish that were deeply hooked. I can only hope they were able to pass it through. But I guess even if a few survive that is a higher number than if they had met my filet knife.
Steve, if you look in the first pic of the fish jumping, you can see the hook in it's mouth, at the base of his beak. In no way can it impead another fish going down. If you can see the little gold speck that is the hook, for reference, the shank of that hook is the size of a #2 pencil.

Steve, if you look in the first pic of the fish jumping, you can see the hook in it's mouth, at the base of his beak. In no way can it impead another fish going down. If you can see the little gold speck that is the hook, for reference, the shank of that hook is the size of a #2 pencil.
Right. Not talking specifically of your fish just deeply hooked fish in general.

We got ya covered Cowboy, this White Oak is near me, it is the "Dover Oak", is the largest tree on the Appalachian Trail and is estimated to be over 300 years old and is over 22' in circumference.

To put it in context, my wife is 5' 10".

But it's only 22' in circumference!

You wouldn't expect hooks to rust out in fresh water in a hurry. We have an inland fish called Murray Cod which will eat all sorts of stupid things and manages to survive. One bloke I know caught one that had three golf balls and a crushed beer can inside it. Can't imagine a few hooks would worry them. In lakes they can grow to be enormous fat things over a metre long.

murray cod.jpg

You wouldn't expect hooks to rust out in fresh water in a hurry. We have an inland fish called Murray Cod which will eat all sorts of stupid things and manages to survive. One bloke I know caught one that had three golf balls and a crushed beer can inside it. Can't imagine a few hooks would worry them. In lakes they can grow to be enormous fat things over a metre long.

View attachment 797278
It’s not the rusting caused by the water, it’s the action between the fish’s ph and the hook. Again I haven’t looked into it enough to know if that’s legit or not.

It’s not the rusting caused by the water, it’s the action between the fish’s ph and the hook. Again I haven’t looked into it enough to know if that’s legit or not.
All of our fishing is off shore, so I just took it for granted that it was the salt. We catch a lot of stuff we release, sharks, unwanted species, out of season, etc. Now, if we get a Mako on, it's going in the cooler. We catch a lot of Black Tip Sharks that some of the guys like. We just gaff them and drag them into the floor locker. That Mako was scary. We harpooned it in the head, got a line around the tail, and had two guys lift it out of the water. Cut it's spine with a filet knife. That head kept snapping and it's teeth clacked like two baseball bats hitting. They sure are good on the grill though.

I almost forgot, I stopped in to talk to my saw mechanic about the 08S, and he said wait a minute, I forgot to tell you about something. He came back with an Echo 280E. It's only 27.9 CC's. One of the boys that works there wants to get rid of it. Only problem, it's an E model. Electronic. If the module is gone, tough noogies. It's just so cute, I don't know if I've ever seen one smaller. If it has spark I may go $15 on it.

Back