Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our county schools (we still have one in high school) reports that our elementary school had a positive for corona virus. They can't say anything about if it was a student or staff because of privacy regulations. That school only will be closing for fourteen days starting tomorrow. Cleaning and sanitizing to begin soon.

I think I need to make a sign like on the back of dump trucks that says, "Stay back 6 feet. Not responsible for corona virus coming from pavement." To be worn on the back of my shirt. Maybe one for the front too.
I get insider info on what one of the larger districts around here are doing, I think they will be closing real soon if not tomorrow.
This guy had a cart almost 100% full of TP, another guy walks out with his girlfriend and a 4 roll pack of TP lol.
Heading into the store now, sure I'll see something odd, the fact that its 1230am may have a small factor in that as well though.

Attachments

• 20200312_000709.jpg
    20200312_000709.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
It will pick up a good bit with a muffler mod(be sure to remove the muffler and then rinse it out well after opening it up), and porting it will help even more:chainsaw:.
Ran a tank thru mine tonight, been a while since I had it out.
Half a row left to fill the woodshed for next yr. The bucket of larger rounds I'm hoping to split tomorrow, if that doesn't fill it it won't take much more, hoping to be done with that side of the woodshed tomorrow. Then I'll start filling the other side for 2021-22. Gathering on the neighbors property is going well so far, I'm trying to stay away from the road so no-one else sees me back there cutting and then asks the neighbor if they can cut too. In a few weeks the trees will have leaves and no-one will be able to see a thing, but then they will here me. I'll ha e to keep quiet like @KiwiBro and use all my stock saws :).
You need a peace accord with the trees.

"I hereby solemnly swear to use a battery saw only while every tree I cut undertakes to fall to the ground quietly".

Really it's a chain saw . People are going to complain? My Springer with a hillside Harley 113 engine will set off every car alarm I go by. Chevelle when I open up the electric dumps does the same. Never had anybody complain about my modded saws
Yeap. They stand there basking in the new, and free, sunlight their neighbour is paying for me to create for them while spewing about the noise to me and the noise control officer they are simultainiously talking to on their phone. But that was when I did jobs in Auckland - one of our most intense and certifiably insane cities.

Yeap. They stand there basking in the new, and free, sunlight their neighbour is paying for me to create for them while spewing about the noise to me and the noise control officer they are simultainiously talking to on their phone. But that was when I did jobs in Auckland - one of our most intense and certifiably insane cities.
Noise control officer. Lol NY has a decible rule . But unless your an engineer you cant administer the test . So it's just by the police officers opinion on what's to loud. I got 4 tickets in my home town after the second the judge saw me and dismissed them . According to law the decible meter had to be placed 22 ft away from the exhaust and the engine RPM's had to be at 2500 for a reading . No patrol car had the meter or tachometer to do this.

Just like the approved DOT helmets . NY State says that all helmets must be on the NYS approved DOT list . Unfortunately there is no list of approved helmets in NY

Made myself a trailer hitch for my lawn mower recently so I could move my log splitter around easier. I had to buy the hitch ball but I had the bits of steel laying around. I just got to get myself a couple bolts to attach it, I'll have less than 10 bucks in it and should make life easier.View attachment 805770View attachment 805771

I put one on both the back and the front of my mower. I can get it accurately positioned much easier by pushing.

Most likely teacher or other staff. So far the youngest known case is 15. Seems to leave very young children alone for some reason.

Is that the 15 year old from Fulton County, Georgia, that was being home schooled but also went to a school in Cherokee County for certain classes? We are in Cobb County, right between Fulton and Cherokee.

It's not 'mass panic'. It's called social distancing. It's shown to be effective at slowing this thing down, it's been used for stuff in the past (eg Spanish flu in 1918) and a slowed peak with a long tail makes coping much more possible and 10s to 100s of times less people will die. Spanish flu killed 50 million people, covid could kill that and more. Or with prompt action, a lot less. Unfortunately (disastrously?) UK had been shockingly slow to act imv, and the US is being slower, although you seem to be getting in gear now (we will today I hope)

It's simple maths.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

It's not 'mass panic'. It's called social distancing. It's shown to be effective at slowing this thing down, it's been used for stuff in the past (eg Spanish flu in 1918) and a slowed peak with a long tail makes coping much more possible and 10s to 100s of times less people will die. Spanish flu killed 50 million people, covid could kill that and more. Or with prompt action, a lot less. Unfortunately (disastrously?) UK had been shockingly slow to act imv, and the US is being slower, although you seem to be getting in gear now (we will today I hope)

It's simple maths.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
it's one of life's cruel ironies that those nearing retirement age in USA or many countries for that matter, that survive the great covid-19 pandemic will have lived long enough to see any retirement plan that's heavily weighted with stocks eviscerated by the crash.

Is that the 15 year old from Fulton County, Georgia, that was being home schooled but also went to a school in Cherokee County for certain classes? We are in Cobb County, right between Fulton and Cherokee.
I don't know. I've just heard a few times the youngest confirmed case was a 15 year old.

And there will be people in the coming weeks and months who will be kicking themselves in 3, 5 and 10 years from now for selling shares in high quality companies at dirt cheap prices. In 5 - 10 years from now no one will be talking about Coronavirus....... They will be selling them to people like me who realise these sorts of opportunities only happen a hand full of times in your lifetime.

And there will be people in the coming weeks and months
if they aren't out already...they shouldn't have been in to begin with. Sounds harsh but the warnings have been there for long enough. Most can't catch falling angles but those who were able to get liquid have the best shot at the bargains. There are some very smart and huge funds that are cashed up, or as loaned up as possible, waiting. There's been a mini run on corporate lenders as the smart cookies realise now's the time to grab as much credit as they can b4 the credit is pulled and the banks collapse. Bartender, another round of corporate welfare for the too big to fail banks, put it on the middle classes tab.

I won't lie - I won't be completely satisfied until it's raining bankers again. Jump you rent-seeking, usurious, parasitic phuckers.

You know the most stupid thing about the run on toilet paper...if the figurative $hit really hit the fan you would want clean drinking water, dry goods, canned goods, and guns/ammo to protect your stores.

If times are tough I can wash my ass in the lake...but if I do not have food for my family we will starve to death.

You know the most stupid thing about the run on toilet paper...if the figurative $hit really hit the fan you would want clean drinking water, dry goods, canned goods, and guns/ammo to protect your stores. If times are tough I can wash my ass in the lake...but if I do not have food for my family we will starve to death.
In reality, there has been a run on everything: bottled water, rice, canned goods, cold medicines, etc. Toilet paper is just the easiest to make fun of.

There might have been a run on ammo too, unless people are still stockpiled from the last 10 panic buys (it tends to keep longer).

Philbert

You know the most stupid thing about the run on toilet paper...if the figurative $hit really hit the fan you would want clean drinking water, dry goods, canned goods, and guns/ammo to protect your stores.

If times are tough I can wash my ass in the lake...but if I do not have food for my family we will starve to death.
I don't get buying water, unless you live out a ways and you don't have power for your well why would that be a concern, but I making sure to keep well stocked on coffee/creamer/filters :drinkingcoffee: .
I also have quite a bit of fuel on hand, ethanol free for the small equipment(and 2-stroke oil), regular for the splitter, mower, quads, vehicles if needed, and diesel for the tractor. I'm not gonna just sit around the house and not get anything done.
The folks I've sold generators to who were preppers when asked how much fuel they kept on hand usually had very little, as in 5 gal or less. Whenever things seem to be a little sketchy like this I try to keep my cars full and my phones/flashlights/trimmers charged, and I have generators here(not because I prep, but because I sell lol).
In reality, there has been a run on everything: bottled water, rice, canned goods, cold medicines, etc. Toilet paper is just the easiest to make fun of.

There might have been a run on ammo too, unless people are still stockpiled from the last 10 panic buys (it tends to keep longer).

Philbert
I looked at the store I was at last night and they had plenty of ammo(I'm set I was just curious), it may be because they relocated it to the very back, used to be right next to where they sold fishing/hunting licenses. One of the next things I need to buy is my fishing license and check my supplies, river is about a 15min walk and the creek out back is 5 if needed.

I got a nice big bag of trail mix last night, not sure how many lbs it is, but I could live off that and coffee for a couple weeks :laugh:.

IMO, the primary ammo you need for emergencies is 22 Hp.

Last time out at Walmart I picked up 4 boxes of 555 rounds each.

That should keep me safe and fed for a little while!
I’m still sitting on my .22 stash from Obamamania II (2012 election). It was so scarce afterwards that I’m still afraid to shot any. LMBO.

And there will be people in the coming weeks and months who will be kicking themselves in 3, 5 and 10 years from now for selling shares in high quality companies at dirt cheap prices. In 5 - 10 years from now no one will be talking about Coronavirus....... They will be selling them to people like me who realise these sorts of opportunities only happen a hand full of times in your lifetime.

Correct. You sound a lot like my mate Roger - almost his exact words, actually - he's a Sydney fella but bought the 10 acre block next door to me. Coincidentally as it turns out since he has been our fund manager for the last dozen years or so.

Back