Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Productive day other than the mechanical issues :baba:.
Hows the tractor working outside of that breaking, never been around that brand, but I've seen ads for them.
What kind of wood is next to the tractor bucket and in front of it, I see white oak and red oak on the ground, is it cottonwood.
It's a Chestnut Oak, heavier and deeper bark, lots of it around here. The smaller limbs look about like Red Oak. Very few Cottonwood around here. I've only seen 1-2. The tractor works well for what it is. I can put a chain on the boom and lift one end of the log up and set it on the back of the trailer, drop it, drive around and push it up. I can get a second layer of big logs on. Then we put 3-4, 8-10"X8' on the bucket and finish filling the trailer by dumping over the side. I found the part at a dealer in Nashville TN. They had the part in stock for $46, sent it 2nd day for a total of $58. I still have to figure out some adjustments. The clutch pedal is releasing just as it hits the bottom of the floor pan. I have to see if I can adjust it down a little. Over all, I like it. I'm guessing it's about 10 years old, and it only had 258 hours on it when I got it. I let it run for an hour just to see if the clock was working. It's up to about 265 now. I think I did OK on it. I gave my buddy $650 and owe him $1350. I'd have been able to pay him off, but I've only sold about 4 1/2 cords of wood. Rough winter. No snow blowing either.

This morning I got to splitting up the last of the blue gum I picked up last month. I had company today, one of our resident mountain dragons watching closely and picking up the creepy crawlies coming out of the wood. He also snaffled two European wasps with a total of three flying leaps as they flew past, pretty cool to watch when you consider the accuracy and deflection he needs to calculate his jump.

11th Mar 1.jpg

He was comfortable getting to within about a foot of me and kept following me around so I had to move my splitting spot around as I didn't want to squash him with a flying split.

11th Mar 2.jpg

Only needed to noodle the piece he was sitting on (once I was able to lure him off it with the promise of a juicy cricket), the rest I was able to split by hand, albeit not easily.

11th Mar 3.jpg

Should be able to get out for some good scrounge in the next week or two.

This morning I got to splitting up the last of the blue gum I picked up last month. I had company today, one of our resident mountain dragons watching closely and picking up the creepy crawlies coming out of the wood. He also snaffled two European wasps with a total of three flying leaps as they flew past, pretty cool to watch when you consider the accuracy and deflection he needs to calculate his jump.

View attachment 805483

He was comfortable getting to within about a foot of me and kept following me around so I had to move my splitting spot around as I didn't want to squash him with a flying split.

View attachment 805484

Only needed to noodle the piece he was sitting on (once I was able to lure him off it with the promise of a juicy cricket), the rest I was able to split by hand, albeit not easily.

View attachment 805485

Should be able to get out for some good scrounge in the next week or two.

Cool little friend you got there.

Are they aggressive/territorial?

Or just skimper off when scared?

They are omnivores correct.....?

Godzirra!! (In an Asian accent)

giphy.gif

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Cowboy, if you can train him to eat Emerald Ash Bore and Stink Bugs, I'll take a few!

We never had stink bugs till a few years ago, now it is like an infestation, and they are not kind to your garden! My Squash yield was way down! They are far more lethal to the to the Spaghetti Squash than the Butternut.

It's a Chestnut Oak, heavier and deeper bark, lots of it around here. The smaller limbs look about like Red Oak. Very few Cottonwood around here. I've only seen 1-2. The tractor works well for what it is. I can put a chain on the boom and lift one end of the log up and set it on the back of the trailer, drop it, drive around and push it up. I can get a second layer of big logs on. Then we put 3-4, 8-10"X8' on the bucket and finish filling the trailer by dumping over the side. I found the part at a dealer in Nashville TN. They had the part in stock for $46, sent it 2nd day for a total of $58. I still have to figure out some adjustments. The clutch pedal is releasing just as it hits the bottom of the floor pan. I have to see if I can adjust it down a little. Over all, I like it. I'm guessing it's about 10 years old, and it only had 258 hours on it when I got it. I let it run for an hour just to see if the clock was working. It's up to about 265 now. I think I did OK on it. I gave my buddy $650 and owe him $1350. I'd have been able to pay him off, but I've only sold about 4 1/2 cords of wood. Rough winter. No snow blowing either.
I thought about that, but chestnut here is about like cottonwood is there, I've only cut one up myself lol. I wasn't impressed at all with the chestnut, most ended up rotting on me and thrown in the bonfire, and the rest will get thrown in this yr :confused:.
Well then that tractor is like mine, when I got it and still on occasion I thank God for increasing my strength :muscle:. I'm always finding something new to do with it, I wouldn't want to ever be without it after having it.
Hope you get yours all fixed soon, and your buddy taken care of.
I'm thinking next yr will be the yr to sell firewood, we'll see then, you never know.

Cool little friend you got there.

Are they aggressive/territorial?

Or just skimper off when scared?

They are omnivores correct.....?

Godzirra!! (In an Asian accent)

giphy.gif

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

They're not aggressive towards humans, quite curious actually. They give you a surprise sometimes because they won't move until you get very close so you don't see them, then all of a sudden there's this thing darting less than a metre away. They get more comfortable with you if you spend some time with them like today. I have tickled one under the chin but then saw his respiratory rate increase and figured he was getting stressed so I left him alone. I had another larger one come and sit beside me when I was having a breather from splitting a couple of years ago and he was shaping to jump onto me which would have been cool but they've got claws like little needles and I wasn't so keen so I got up.

5th Mar 3.jpg

5th Mar 2.jpg

Then he saw a slug move and jumped down and snapped it up only to spit it out and from the look on his reptilian face I could tell that slugs taste bad. I though the little guy today might have had a problem with the wasps which are quick to sting but he crunched them both up and down the hatch in a jiffy. I saw three today, they're nice to have around.

After spending most of last week waiting for a part and working on the truck,, I finally got teh last blocks I had here split/stacked...
Haven't used teh splitter yet this winter, but the wood that is left is bigger, so I may have to go get it... We'll see,,, have a good scrounging day!!!!

I thought about that, but chestnut here is about like cottonwood is there, I've only cut one up myself lol. I wasn't impressed at all with the chestnut, most ended up rotting on me and thrown in the bonfire, and the rest will get thrown in this yr :confused:.
Well then that tractor is like mine, when I got it and still on occasion I thank God for increasing my strength :muscle:. I'm always finding something new to do with it, I wouldn't want to ever be without it after having it.
Hope you get yours all fixed soon, and your buddy taken care of.
I'm thinking next yr will be the yr to sell firewood, we'll see then, you never know.
I got the part ordered, should be here Thur or Fri. It's Chestnut Oak, in the White Oak family. Chestnut is a pretty wood milled, but I didn't care for it as a fire wood either. As you said, it rots as fast as it dries.

Chestnut Oak is VERY SLOW to rot, especially if it is off the ground, it almost lasts 4 ever!
It was on the ground :baba:, it was already on it's way out when I got it, I was quite surprised the tree was still standing. I've tossed every species I've had here in the bonfire pit at one point or another except black locust.
The best thing here for rot resistance is the black locust, then white oak.
Hopefully the sides of my woodshed last a long time since they are off the ground, they are red oak.

Haven't used teh splitter yet this winter, but the wood that is left is bigger, so I may have to go get it... We'll see,,, have a good scrounging day!!!!
Just got back with another truckload,,, blocked it there so I could load it... Not sure if I'm happier getting more wood,,, or that the truck seems to work OK!!!!!

Well, Ohio is up to 4 confirmed cases. We had a call today at work about this, and they were all like "We have no confirmed cases in our County". I wanted to ask, "How many people have actually been tested in our county"? I know the answer is NONE.

Craziness.

With everything closing, I'm just hoping we close so I can cut some more firewood.... With pay of course LOL!

Well, Ohio is up to 4 confirmed cases. We had a call today at work about this, and they were all like "We have no confirmed cases in our County". I wanted to ask, "How many people have actually been tested in our county"? I know the answer is NONE.

Craziness.

With everything closing, I'm just hoping we close so I can cut some more firewood.... With pay of course LOL!
3, all from Cuyahoga County, nice and close to you :crazy2:.
Ohio State closed now.
https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/o...suspends-classroom-instruction-through-march/

Latest posts

Back