Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher death rate and no vaccine (yet).

Philbert

I'm not at all confident in the mortality rate figures - I believe they are well on the high side of reality. For many otherwise healthy people, the symptoms are mild and people think they've got a minor case of the sniffles and don't bother going to see a doctor - thus don't get counted in the figures. The big story on the news here a couple of days ago was about a GP (doctor) who came back from an overseas trip with a runny nose and saw 70 patients in his first few days back at work before he got tested for it and came up positive. Most people who have a runny nose aren't going to go see the doctor - and he certainly didn't think he had coronavirus until he came up positive.

Anyone who has had influenza feels like they have been run over by a bus, there aren't really any mild cases. Those that say they have had a 'touch of the flu' haven't had the flu. They've had a cold.

Remember when Zika was going to kill us all?

I think there are some issues to worry about with it but more than anything the fake news media is blowing this thing up. If you are elderly or have respiratory issues I believe you need to be cognizant. Other than that wash your hands and lysol your desk at work. Zombie apocalypse TV has tilted everyone's mind.

My cutting buddy acquired us a conveyor last night. He doesn't know crap besides it has a belt, steel L bars, and currently is pto driven. Plus a 6 hp honda the guy had laying around. $150 bucks so I told him even if we have to cut it up for scrap we'll be fine, make sure to pay right now. Guy hooked the tractor up and it spins freely. They used it for full cob corn but haven't picked corn like that for a number of years. Hopefully get it home this weekend.

Back to the "we hate locust" site, Tim Burns. Spent three enjoyable hours clear cutting small locusts near the house. The ranged from about 4" up to 12". Dropped 8 of them resulting in some real nice '1-split' size rounds and a dozen limb wood size logs that will go home with me to be cut up on the jig.

Last time it was down to 'very selective' cut. Today he met me cussing mad about having to blow crap for 3 hours off his drive. The scrounge is back to 'cut everything'.

Gonna be interesting the next trip down. His wife will be back from her job Wed evening and obviously does not have a clue about Tim's decision. The first thing she will see will be an empty spot when she comes around the corner by teh shop.

Tim is a perfectionist in caring for his farm stead. He was even edging the state road that runs past his house. I've seen both of them using a back pack blower in the machine shop area.
That's great, hopefully his wife is on board with it.
I've gotten out a couple times at the neighbors cleaning up a bunch of small stuff that was already down, most was bark free. Yesterday after the kids school we managed to get 3 good size bucket fulls of the smaller rounds and a few 6-8", I think the door on my stove is around 9-10", I should measure it sometime. We managed to finish up right as the rain was starting, the rain cleared out early this morning and if the ground isn't to soft I may go for some bigger wood that needs to be split today. When I cut on Saturday I brought half a wheel barrel of dead barkless wood in the house and have keep the place warm with that, sure is nice going from the woods to the wood holder in the house.
Another 6.5x4' row and well have next yrs wood done and in the woodshed :happy:. Hope to get started on the wood for two seasons out as soon as that's done, I feel little behind my goals for that, but I have plenty of wood and even more time to get it into the woodshed if needed, or not.
I had the kids clean up all the black locust cookies from the front yard and got a full wheelbarrow the will be ready to burn real soon too :sweet:.

saw 70 patients in his first few days back at work before he got tested for it and came up positive. Most people who have a runny nose aren't going to go see the doctor - and he certainly didn't think he had coronavirus until he came up positive.
Then why did he get tested for it :rolleyes:?
I'm not too confident in anything the media has to say, I don't put my hope in much except that the sheeple will follow the medias lead so I need to prepare for that regardless. They're always stirring the pot and causing division and chaos :crazy2:.
I say be prepared for the worse and hope for the best, and realize that when it's your time you're gonna die, not a second earlier or later :havingarest:.

Ya we have lots of them . They climb the apple trees nothing like seeing a big black bear in your tree View attachment 805037View attachment 805038
I haven't seen any on my property in WV yet, but every one else that's been there has. I don't know what it is about our phone poles, but they love sharpening their claws on them. The pole next to my trailer has been clawed up so much I'm afraid we will have to replace it.

be sure to post up some pics.:drinkingcoffee:
Well, took some pics scanning the woods from the drive, but, on my cell it's hard to see, maybe they will show up better on a bigger screen. Yesterday was the first day on the project and we got a late start, left the key on, on the tractor, and the battery was dead. Left my charger in WV, so I had to swap the battery out of the dump trailer into the tractor, then the battery out of the JD X540 into the dump trailer. Was almost noon when we got started. Still got 3 dump trailers of 8' logs. Would have gotten 4 loads, but as I was getting ready to dump that last bucket of logs on the trailer, the steering wheel started spinning in circles. The ball join on the steering cylinder snapped off. You could see it had been cracked for a while, there was rust in the crack about half way through. If I can find one today we will be back at it tomorrow. If not.......?
lw9BiKg.jpg

Is03Cwn.jpg

s5UkOMh.jpg

n7MCAU2.jpg

Our Hiking trails are on Fire!!!

https://abc7ny.com/5998692/
Even though we've had a wet winter and the ground is not all that dry the brush is super dry. Since it's still dormant. Usually is man related somebody running some brush or a camper with a camp fire. Few years ago the mountain was burning be cause some city weekender decided to clean up some brush and burn it. Eventhough there was a fire ban. This year it from March 16 to may 14th

One of the lawnmowing contractors was lying down on the job today. I don't know what I pay them for.
I'd say that it is your fault. I can say with some confidence that I have never had a kangaroo lying down on my lawn, or anywhere near, or in, my house. . . . Just won't put up with that around here,

Philbert

My cutting buddy acquired us a conveyor last night. He doesn't know crap besides it has a belt, steel L bars, and currently is pto driven. Plus a 6 hp honda the guy had laying around. $150 bucks so I told him even if we have to cut it up for scrap we'll be fine, make sure to pay right now. Guy hooked the tractor up and it spins freely. They used it for full cob corn but haven't picked corn like that for a number of years. Hopefully get it home this weekend.
That's how I want to get setup. I have an old steel cob corn crib that would make nice drying racks close to 16' I think. I'd like to split and convey directly into raised racks. I think I can get 4 racks out of it. Probably get some rail road ties to support them. Another when I get time project.

That's how I want to get setup. I have an old steel cob corn crib that would make nice drying racks close to 16' I think. I'd like to split and convey directly into raised racks. I think I can get 4 racks out of it. Probably get some rail road ties to support them. Another when I get time project.

We've missed on a couple. But were talking about looking again because we probably have 30 cord in log form and not much left in splits after he refilled his wood shed. This should free up some space by making the piles taller and also allow to split right into the dump trailer instead of loading each time with the skid steer.

Well, took some pics scanning the woods from the drive, but, on my cell it's hard to see, maybe they will show up better on a bigger screen. Yesterday was the first day on the project and we got a late start, left the key on, on the tractor, and the battery was dead. Left my charger in WV, so I had to swap the battery out of the dump trailer into the tractor, then the battery out of the JD X540 into the dump trailer. Was almost noon when we got started. Still got 3 dump trailers of 8' logs. Would have gotten 4 loads, but as I was getting ready to dump that last bucket of logs on the trailer, the steering wheel started spinning in circles. The ball join on the steering cylinder snapped off. You could see it had been cracked for a while, there was rust in the crack about half way through. If I can find one today we will be back at it tomorrow. If not.......?
lw9BiKg.jpg

Is03Cwn.jpg

s5UkOMh.jpg

n7MCAU2.jpg
Productive day other than the mechanical issues :baba:.
Hows the tractor working outside of that breaking, never been around that brand, but I've seen ads for them.
What kind of wood is next to the tractor bucket and in front of it, I see white oak and red oak on the ground, is it cottonwood.

I'd say that it is your fault. I can say with some confidence that I have never had a kangaroo lying down on my lawn, or anywhere near, or in, my house. . . . Just won't put up with that around here,

Philbert

I have a dog that keeps them away...at least I've never seen one since I got him. He's the same about elephants.

Back