Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4year old and i did some scrounging for fallen trees today. Didn’t get very far but he really enjoyed helping.

He even marked trees with purple chalk on the way out so we didn’t get lost[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. 100% his idea.

Found some ash that is on its last leg of usefulness. Got it out of the swamp. Found a small diameter (6”) hickory (not pictured) that a tree fell on [emoji20]. Cut her up so i can use it in 3 years[emoji1787]

6c19566c177c2912f46087406ff2bceb.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

So is the activity around here way down because this new layout stinks or cause it’s really nice out?
Yes.

It does seem activity is down. At least they turned back on the bold thread titles so I can tell what I haven't read yet. Much of the rest of the new format may just take getting used to.

Now that your experienced I have a 3 lever valve on the tractor needs O'rings.

Ha!

I’m glad to have her back up and running. Changed out the hydraulic fluid too. Split a little bit of hard maple to test her out, and she worked great.
Have a trailer load of wood to split. Hoping to get at it this week.

Sadly we haven’t seen any action from our hives today. Looks like we lost all three hives.

Bummer.
That sucks . Dont tend bees but a few neighbors do . Last year had some free honey bear ripped apart a dead apple tree to get at a hive . Lots of combs all over

Thats a bummer for sure....

Back to work at some new ones then?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Yup, will have some swarm traps up soon to catch early swarms, and will likely buy a couple packages from a local source.
No more packages from GA, the last two we bought were mean!
There’s a lady that raises rural Ohio queens and bees, and they are much more docile.
Hoping to have 5-6 hives this year.
The only positive to these bees dying is we have more honey :) Two of the hives are heavy!

Yup, will have some swarm traps up soon to catch early swarms, and will likely buy a couple packages from a local source.
No more packages from GA, the last two we bought were mean!
There’s a lady that raises rural Ohio queens and bees, and they are much more docile.
Hoping to have 5-6 hives this year.
The only positive to these bees dying is we have more honey :) Two of the hives are heavy!
Had bees about 10 years ago but to many issuses trying to keep them going. Had about 10 hives up and running for a few years. Sold most of my hive bodies and extractor. Keep my veil and suit and a couple of hives and nuc boxes in case i catch a swarm.

Wish I would have had the camera but I had a barber chair yesterday. Had a twin stem oak and they leaned opposite directions so I was dropping them with their lean. First one went perfect was within a foot of where it was supposed to go. Second one was going good and I had left a little extra holding wood on the lh side to hopefully keep the fall more to that direction and let the tree slide down a basswood if needed. As it was slowly falling I grabbed my saw and was watching it go it started to split about 20' feet up and worked it's way down to the base. I was lucky in a safety aspect that it turned the tree a little more than it supposed to and took pressure off the tree when most of the weight was broken by the basswood. I was unlucky that part of the tree was partially hung up now. I'm adamant on how I fell with keeping my vision up and it potentially saved me from being put in a bad situation because I saw it start to split and was able to get myself and cutting buddy plenty clear.

We were able to use the skidloader and a strap to clear the tree and drop it safely the rest of the way. Inspecting where the split started the tree was core rotted in that area and infested with ants. It's the first time I have ever seen an oak split like that. Could it have been avoided? Probably if I would have dropped it perfectly with the lean instead of changing it by a couple of degrees. I would have left less holding wood and it would have dropped faster instead hopefully not allowing it to blow apart. Maybe if I would have tickled the back cut a tich more it would have had the same effect but It was going and I was busy backing away.

Back to the "we hate locust" site, Tim Burns. Spent three enjoyable hours clear cutting small locusts near the house. The ranged from about 4" up to 12". Dropped 8 of them resulting in some real nice '1-split' size rounds and a dozen limb wood size logs that will go home with me to be cut up on the jig.

Last time it was down to 'very selective' cut. Today he met me cussing mad about having to blow crap for 3 hours off his drive. The scrounge is back to 'cut everything'.

Gonna be interesting the next trip down. His wife will be back from her job Wed evening and obviously does not have a clue about Tim's decision. The first thing she will see will be an empty spot when she comes around the corner by teh shop.

Tim is a perfectionist in caring for his farm stead. He was even edging the state road that runs past his house. I've seen both of them using a back pack blower in the machine shop area.

I just read Italy is on total lock down for coronavirus measures from tomorrow.

Uk now has 5 deaths, one was in hospital about 4 miles away from me in south London. I guess the next month will be critical....they say the longer the spread is slowed, the further into the summer the epidemic will peak, and the better we will cope. fingers crossed everyone stays safe and well, and we can get on with wood scrounging soon.

I just read Italy is on total lock down for coronavirus measures from tomorrow.

Uk now has 5 deaths, one was in hospital about 4 miles away from me in south London. I guess the next month will be critical....they say the longer the spread is slowed, the further into the summer the epidemic will peak, and the better we will cope. fingers crossed everyone stays safe and well, and we can get on with wood scrounging soon.
It's just the flu or no worse than. The flu has killed more people per year than this thing has. Anyone suggesting it might be a serious disruption are nut case Chicken Little's who need to get off the computer and go cut something. ;)

Refill medication instead of buying 'all the toilet paper'
Strang said residents should be taking appropriate steps to prepare, but there's no need to panic.

"It's very reasonable that people buy a few extra groceries, canned goods that have the shelf life, in the possibility that you may have to be home for a period of time," he said. "But it doesn't mean you have to go out and buy all the toilet paper."

Hasn't found Nova Scotia yet .
I didn't see a soul last Sunday while scrounging that beautiful spruce so I guess it pays to lock the gate Lol

Latest posts

Back