Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA,,, good advice!!! I went to the meat/produce store in town about 11:00,,, it has two parking lots back and front,,, back is closer for me... Line at teh register is half way thru teh store!!!! So I walked down the empty aisle, to get some meat,,, they had what I wanted,,, but ALL the sacks of potatoes,,, all the milk, and other dairy products are gone,,,
I went to the front register, and the cashier was standing there alone, twiddlin her thumbs!!!! Bet I wasn't in teh store 5 minutes, and teh cashier was teh only one I got within 5 feet of... I asked her if she was bored, as teh back of teh store was nuts to butts 30-40 deep!!!!
The most dangerous thing about this flu, is people are just too freakin stupid to keep it from spreading!!!!
I got back in the truck, washed my hands in alcohol and drove home!!!!!
Well hopefully we can go to the store tomorrow, that may be limited depending on what the powers that be decided.
On my list for the day, 5 more gallons of extra diesel, another 5 of regular, another 1.6 of ethanol free, bar oil and filling the propane tanks we use for hot water, I like hot water as much as I like toilet paper, but I've never had to choose so maybe I'm wrong about that :oops:.

I have a little flour yet.
bought 30# of flour and sugar, yeast baking powder and 10# of canning salt …. this will at least go good for biscuits and bread along with fresh venison and fish when needed.... have a 3 years supply of home grown canned foods an dried goods on a yearly rotational renewal to keep the rest of the green needs happy! hand pump on the well as well as a solar power unit for the electrical needs... hope the sun don't fall out of the sky?!!! lol

Rain ended and the day cleared up nicely,, so I went back for yet another load of wood!!! Blocks keep getting bigger tho!!! Too bad none of you are in the area,,, specially guys with bigger saws, and want to mess with the trunks... They are on top of the bigger stuff, and I'm not gonna whittle at it with a 20"/54cc saws!!! I can get more wood with less effort and fuel with limbs,, and noodling it small enough to lift over the fence would take forever...

bought 30# of flour and sugar, yeast baking powder and 10# of canning salt …. this will at least go good for biscuits and bread along with fresh venison and fish when needed.... have a 3 years supply of home grown canned foods an dried goods on a yearly rotational renewal to keep the rest of the green needs happy! hand pump on the well as well as a solar power unit for the electrical needs... hope the sun don't fall out of the sky?!!! lol
That's awesome, imagine if more were in that situation and had no debt and were told to stay put for a few weeks, I think most would be like, okay :). Instead :buttkick::buttkick::buttkick::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::cry:.

Well hopefully we can go to the store tomorrow, that may be limited depending on what the powers that be decided.
On my list for the day, 5 more gallons of extra diesel, another 5 of regular, another 1.6 of ethanol free, bar oil and filling the propane tanks we use for hot water, I like hot water as much as I like toilet paper, but I've never had to choose so maybe I'm wrong about that :oops:.
You can go,,, just a matter of what's in stock!!!!

Its kind of funny. I have all but stopped buying bread and cereal. I make up a dozen bisquits ever day or so. I should cut that in half and do 6 at a time cause fresh out of the oven are so damn good!

Brought up about half a cubecord from under the deck. When I fill the racks in the fall, I try to anticipate the type I'll need for the time of year. I've been struggling with the warm weather and big "February" pieces. Finally into my March-April wood which is smaller and more poplar-willow mixed in.
Snow is melting off my piles and I may get back to splitting soon if it doesn't snow more.
eab9c4dd5c920f0aeb1550ce2c80bd41.jpg
b2829816eca98c6995806186627135de.jpg
ae297de59f5b3c1fbd241fc49c3b0c08.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Cowboy, how much wood in a cube? Don’t here that word much over here.

Cubic meter. So 39 point some odd inches cubed.. blah blah blah, some math stuff, comes out to just over a facecord. Be a good 5.5' pickup box full.
Unless an Aussie cube is different than a Canuck cube. Lol.

They might be different based on your figures ;) . About 3.7 cubes per cord. My 4.5ft x 7 ft x 15in trailer holds 1.1 cubes when filled level. Talking in cubes is better since when you've been swinging your guts out you can say "I cut and split 2.5 cubes" which sounds like more than if you say "I cut and split 2/3 cord".

Aussie cube is full of spiders . . .

Philbert

BTUs with hairy legs.

Don't forget the drop bears and hoop snakes!!
View attachment 807101 View attachment 807102

I was expecting to find something long and slithery in those logs today but the only thing there was a cute little bush rat who kept trying to run back under the logs as I rolled them around. I thought he'd get squashed but he didn't and I chased him away eventually.

A lizard came to check out my resin table top yesterday while I was in-between pours. Only a small native one we call skinks. It fell in, swam and clung to the edge of the timber with its head just above the surface. There it stayed as the resin set. Got quite a shock when I came back to pour again. Couldn't have placed the skink better if I tried.

*Edit BC pics or it didn't happen*
IMG_20200316_095000.jpg

Well it's on now we have covid in the province , watch the real stupidity commence .
Philbert , you were wrong , covid can spell Nova Scotia .
So, as a preemptive strike I went to the store this morning to get some stuffs, but while walking in a fella was walking out muttering to himself out load " **** , no feckin tp , no gd potatoes, no feckin tunips or cabbage no gd canned milk , **** , I should have come sooner for **** sakes ..."

I got what I wanted lol

Hopefully, the snow will be gone in a couple weeks and I can get the splitter back in here and clean this mess up.View attachment 807121

Do you use the splitter just to make the logs light enough to load? My mom used to like to help, and she couldn’t help if we didn’t do that. Except for the little bit of small stuff.

They might be different based on your figures ;) . About 3.7 cubes per cord. My 4.5ft x 7 ft x 15in trailer holds 1.1 cubes when filled level. Talking in cubes is better since when you've been swinging your guts out you can say "I cut and split 2.5 cubes" which sounds like more than if you say "I cut and split 2/3 cord".

BTUs with hairy legs.

I was expecting to find something long and slithery in those logs today but the only thing there was a cute little bush rat who kept trying to run back under the logs as I rolled them around. I thought he'd get squashed but he didn't and I chased him away eventually.
Correct you are. A cube is still only a couple sticks away from a facecord, or third cord which is the common measurement in Ontario. No matter the measurements, whether correct or not, I prefer mine without deadly insects, snakes or reptiles!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back