Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an Asian Clone, and I've done several of them so far, and have always been able to improve performance. They had a group buy on another site a year or so ago so I picked up several of them at bargain basement prices so I could learn how to port a saw. I'm just using the low cost HF grinders that were on sale for $6.99 (with some grinding heads from E Bay).

The mufflers have no baffle and come with a large hole, no screen and DP cover, so I don't further mod them (I've found increase mods just burn more fuel).

Deleting the base gasket results in near perfect squish almost every time (I shoot for .020).

I advance the timing by shaving .020 - .030 off the key.

The plating on the New West jugs looks to be VG, but the port work was terrible.

In the beginning, I was just lowering the intake and straitening out the exhaust port to get better performance. I print my timing wheels off the computer and glue them to Oak Tag.

Then I started widening and flattening the intake and exhaust and adding bridge ports. I also noticed OEM jugs have wider upper transfers, so I tried to widen the ones on this jug a bit. It is an interesting game to try to make them stronger each time. I usually can, unless the port timing #s are not with me. Since I don't machine my jugs, I can only move ports in one direction.

Most builders will tell you the OEM jugs run the best. I have collected 2 each OEM 044/440; 046/460; and 066/660 jugs to port when I feel confident enough to do them. I also want to make sure the bottom ends of these 440 clones will hold up before installing an OEM jug on them. They seem to do well with good oil, especially with the lighter OEM 460 pistons (all the AM pistons are heavier than OEM).

From my results, I understand why builders insist on certain oils and ratios. The increased RPMs of a ported saw, and additional piston weight of a Big Bore or Hybrid put a lot more stress on the bottom ends, resulting in 2 failures from ones run on conventional oil. Both failures were at the large rod bearing. I always replace the piston pin bearing with OEM, the cost is only about $10., it is cheap insurance.

I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn saw porting to play with and AM jug first. Learning to control the grinders takes some time.
Very well written.

Aside from the lack of free time, I know if I started porting it would end up like my carpentry projects (taking off too much at one time). LOL. But maybe someday.

I'll be damned . My insurance company emailed me . Due to the covid stay in place they are giving me a 15% discount for April and May due to less driving in general and fewer accidents. Maybe buy a few bars and chains
I heard certain companies are doing that, which I commend them for.

I’m through Progressive who didn’t hear was on that list. I’m going to fire them soon though. Unfortunately it’s sold through a friend but when I send him some other business I’m going to pull that away because they’ve jacked their rates 50 percent in two years.

I'll be damned . My insurance company emailed me . Due to the covid stay in place they are giving me a 15% discount for April and May due to less driving in general and fewer accidents. Maybe buy a few bars and chains
The guy that brought me the wood yesterday told me he got the same deal. Allstate I think. Did you hear anything about Carlisle. I didn't look at their website lately.

The guy that brought me the wood yesterday told me he got the same deal. Allstate I think. Did you hear anything about Carlisle. I didn't look at their website lately.
Carlisle has been postponed to May 27-31 . Yes Allstate is my carrier.

I heard certain companies are doing that, which I commend them for.

I’m through Progressive who didn’t hear was on that list. I’m going to fire them soon though. Unfortunately it’s sold through a friend but when I send him some other business I’m going to pull that away because they’ve jacked their rates 50 percent in two years.
Yep same here. Rates just never go down. It was one of the few who did monthly when that was all I could afford. Got some decent quotes I have to follow up on before my July renewal.

Yep same here. Rates just never go down. It was one of the few who did monthly when that was all I could afford. Got some decent quotes I have to follow up on before my July renewal.
I had been with Geico and switched to my agent friend. It was a few bucks more per month but figured a local agent was worth it. Now they have jacked rates nearly 50 percent. :mad:

Fresno is ash tree in Spanish. Very strange..
"I haven't split ash, there’s very little ash here. It was planted in the front yards of homes built in the 50s and 60s, otherwise I don’t see it. "

I knew that. There’s a story of the first settlers finding an ash tree, hence the name. I’ve told the story to people born and raised here, and they don’t believe me. I think it does grow along the rivers and creeks, but that’s a tiny percentage of the area. Most developed land has no trees, and non native trees are planted. I don’t like that, I planted a valley oak in our yard. So, because very few people experience the creeks in the area, they don’t think of ash as being local.

I knew that. There’s a story of the first settlers finding an ash tree, hence the name. I’ve told the story to people born and raised here, and they don’t believe me. I think it does grow along the rivers and creeks, but that’s a tiny percentage of the area. Most developed land has no trees, and non native trees are planted. I don’t like that, I planted a valley oak in our yard. So, because very few people experience the creeks in the area, they don’t think of ash as being local.

Kinda the same way here in Michigan. A lot of our ancestors migrated here to work in logging camps and harvest the vast stands of old growth white pine that was used to build our nation. Replaced them with the majestic yellow poplar and scruffy plantation pine.

Progress report. Pretty pathetic.

Out to process the pile of locust small stems. Found I had about 30 minutes work just cleaning up and piling what I already had cut. Loaded the limbwood jig, grabbed 362 and found I couldn't pull it! Usually it is a 2 pull start but I could NOT get the full pull needed for the first shot. Time I gave up and took to to my buddy I had it fully flooded. No go there either but he could not see a spark on his tester. Bag it up and off to the dealer (60 mile round trip) only to be shown It was just a simple flooded problem and I just wasn't man enough to pull it cold start. Back home and gave a try starting it. By putting a board through the handle loop and sttanding one that and then mentally picturing pulling the string clear out it finally fired for me.

Just finished the job 30 minutes ago, about 1/4 cord, and was barely able to climb the steps into the house. Still havee to get out there and do some mowing.

Next time that saw will be sitting by the stove warming up while I have breakfast. It has to have that full pull first shot or it ain't gonna start. All I was able was a half pull.

Progress report. Pretty pathetic.

Out to process the pile of locust small stems. Found I had about 30 minutes work just cleaning up and piling what I already had cut. Loaded the limbwood jig, grabbed 362 and found I couldn't pull it! Usually it is a 2 pull start but I could NOT get the full pull needed for the first shot. Time I gave up and took to to my buddy I had it fully flooded. No go there either but he could not see a spark on his tester. Bag it up and off to the dealer (60 mile round trip) only to be shown It was just a simple flooded problem and I just wasn't man enough to pull it cold start. Back home and gave a try starting it. By putting a board through the handle loop and sttanding one that and then mentally picturing pulling the string clear out it finally fired for me.

Just finished the job 30 minutes ago, about 1/4 cord, and was barely able to climb the steps into the house. Still havee to get out there and do some mowing.

Next time that saw will be sitting by the stove warming up while I have breakfast. It has to have that full pull first shot or it ain't gonna start. All I was able was a half pull.
Glad you are back at it. Have you considered an electric saw for the work at home that's within cord range! I know it's not the same or as fast but it might be easier on you to ease back into it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

You have more guts than me. Im well short of ready to do that. Keep us posted on the results

So are you doing a timing advance, muffler mod, base gasket delete/or a thinner one?

I can tell ya. Starting a COLD saw that is ported can be rough. and even when warm some times. My 2166/72 is what i grab when i dont want to be beat up that day[emoji23][emoji23]

That 2166/72 was Best saw purchase ever.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
My 590 that Deaves did will bite you when it's cold.

Ok desperate times call for desperate measures. Any of you local guys have a 60DL 3/8 .050 chain I could buy, steal, or borrow for a chain build off. No luck getting from local shops.
@turnkey4099 glad your recovering and getting back on your feet.

Ebay?

Ok desperate times call for desperate measures. Any of you local guys have a 60DL 3/8 .050 chain I could buy, steal, or borrow for a chain build off. No luck getting from local shops.
I’ll check tomorrow. I just went through most of my chains. I hade two Saber 3/8, 59 DLs. Turned out they were for a Super EZ, 16 inch. I put them all in marked zip lock bags. I had something in a 60 DL, but it may have been LoPro.

James I’ve got Trilink full chisel if you want. I can have it to you on Thursday. No charge. Just let me know.

Latest posts

Back