Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My newly ported cylinder (Big Bore #5) came to life today.

I was not real impressed with how Big Bore #4 ran, the port timing #s were not that great (Ex at 95), so today I ripped it down and put my "re ported" Big Bore jug #5 and an OEM piston on frame #4. Squish with the OEM piston went from 0.20 (with the NW piston) to 0.17 with the OEM piston.

I could not believe how clean BB #4 P+C were! The pics of the cylinder did not come out, but look at that piston, and I did not clean it at all!!! Looks like I took it right out of the box!

These NW BB pistons seem to be of good quality, and weight the same as a Meteor, so I think I'll save them for some 460 projects and use the lighter OEM on my Hybrid and BB kits.

I let the sealer dry for 2 hours then started her up. She kicked on the 8th pull (just enough pulls to make me nervous), then started right up and ran very clean. Minor adjustments to the low and she idled real nice (with the Lo screw about 3/4 turn out).

She ran good. I'm neither disappointed nor ecstatic. I'm not sure if she has the RPMs I was hoping for, but she has good torque, and when you lean on her (noodling Oak) she just slows a bit but does not stop. I like that in a saw! Heck, it does not even have a third of a tank through it yet, so it may break in a bit, and maybe RPMs will increase if I lean her out a bit, but for now I want it to be a bit rich. The saw was well mannered, idled well, re started easily several times, and did what it was supposed to. Also, it has out of the box RS on it, and I'm used to running square file.

Attached Files:

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_110159587_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200407_110159587_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
My newly ported cylinder (Big Bore #5) came to life today.

I was not real impressed with how Big Bore #4 ran, the port timing #s were not that great (Ex at 95), so today I ripped it down and put my "re ported" Big Bore jug #5 and an OEM piston on frame #4. Squish with the OEM piston went from 0.20 (with the NW piston) to 0.17 with the OEM piston.

I could not believe how clean BB #4 P+C were! The pics of the cylinder did not come out, but look at that piston, and I did not clean it at all!!! Looks like I took it right out of the box!

These NW BB pistons seem to be of good quality, and weight the same as a Meteor, so I think I'll save them for some 460 projects and use the lighter OEM on my Hybrid and BB kits.

I let the sealer dry for 2 hours then started her up. She kicked on the 8th pull (just enough pulls to make me nervous), then started right up and ran very clean. Minor adjustments to the low and she idled real nice (with the Lo screw about 3/4 turn out).

She ran good. I'm neither disappointed nor ecstatic. I'm not sure if she has the RPMs I was hoping for, but she has good torque, and when you lean on her (noodling Oak) she just slows a bit but does not stop. I like that in a saw! Heck, it does not even have a third of a tank through it yet, so it may break in a bit, and maybe RPMs will increase if I lean her out a bit, but for now I want it to be a bit rich. The saw was well mannered, idled well, re started easily several times, and did what it was supposed to. Also, it has out of the box RS on it, and I'm used to running square file.

Attached Files:
Sure looks clean Mike.
How many tanks on it and what mix ratio and oil.
Was there plenty of oil on it.

Kinda the same way here in Michigan. A lot of our ancestors migrated here to work in logging camps and harvest the vast stands of old growth white pine that was used to build our nation. Replaced them with the majestic yellow poplar and scruffy plantation pine.
You're right, most here have seen the pictures of the sleighs with the logs stacked 12 or 14' high being pulled by horses, but they have no idea they were taken here in michigan or that they harvested lots of white pine here. Today we took a nice walk way out behind our property and saw some nice white pine, huge bur oak, and some other neat trees, was a nice time.
Also scrounged some more black locust.
Couple more days and we'll have the woodshed full.
The crew.
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.35.35 PM.png
Almost there.
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.36.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.36.18 PM.png

You're right, most here have seen the pictures of the sleighs with the logs stacked 12 or 14' high being pulled by horses, but they have no idea they were taken here in michigan or that they harvested lots of white pine here. Today we took a nice walk way out behind our property and saw some nice white pine, huge bur oak, and some other neat trees, was a nice time.
The crew.
View attachment 815534
Almost there.
View attachment 815535View attachment 815536
I found one of those pics in a tote of family stuff. Great gramps for sure used to go log in the winters. But I think this might be a souvenir picture. I'll dig it out one of these days.

The crew.
View attachment 815534
Almost there.

Nice family picture Brett[emoji1303][emoji41]

Perfect time to get caught up on wood. And out Governor will most likely extend the “stay home” in the next few days

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

The crew.
View attachment 815534
Almost there.
Good looking crew you have there! And wood shed looks great! Stacks of wood are ok too;)
Speaking of white pine, saw this picture the other day of a nice one0A3318EE-8022-4085-B876-87B7ED017A6A.pngLargest white pine I’ve seen I think is the one I’m cutting in my avatar74327B20-B952-491B-84DE-DD48F8DBBDD4.jpeg
About 4’. Illegal to cut them (western white pine) here now, endangered?
Made some more progress at the mill site today 4F9EA7AC-2C48-443B-AE1E-3B25FC56CD92.jpeg
Not sure it’s any cheaper than buying boards, 661 gets pretty thirsty, lol. Nice being outside and spending time with my son though, and don’t have to go to the store ;)

Attachments

• 3E21E228-87C6-4BCA-B7A7-7A960AE4CAB2.jpeg
    3E21E228-87C6-4BCA-B7A7-7A960AE4CAB2.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Good looking crew you have there! And wood shed looks great! Stacks of wood are ok too;)
Speaking of white pine, saw this picture the other day of a nice oneView attachment 815540Largest white pine I’ve seen I think is the one I’m cutting in my avatarView attachment 815550
Made some more progress at the mill site today View attachment 815553
Not sure it’s any cheaper than buying boards, 661 gets pretty thirsty, lol. Nice being outside and spending time with my son though, and don’t have to go to the store ;)
Nice boards! Can I borrow your Cat?

Nice boards! Can I borrow your Cat?
Thanks, they do seem too nice for a chicken coop:p
Sure! It is pretty handy, one of the logs decided to take a stroll down the hill and the Cat was enlisted to retrieve it51054F83-C16D-4926-903A-6175BBCF3E4E.jpeg
Been part of the family for a long time. Dad bought it in late 60’s I believe. It’s skidded lots of trees, built roads, and plowed snow here and in Alaska.

Speaking of white pine, saw this picture the other day of a nice oneView attachment 815540Largest white pine I’ve seen I think is the one I’m cutting in my avatarView attachment 815550
Made some more progress at the mill site today View attachment 815553
Thanks, I'm grateful for the time with the family and to get things done :).
That's a big tree :surprised3:, I've seen some nice ones, but 3' to just over is about the biggest. There are some places here in michigan there may be some 4' whites, they are parks you can't even think of cutting them, that's why I can't go there:laughing:.
Looks great up there, surprised all the snow is almost gone.

Nice family picture Brett[emoji1303][emoji41]

Perfect time to get caught up on wood. And out Governor will most likely extend the “stay home” in the next few days

Thanks buddy.
It sure is, and I'm taking full advantage, was a little warm today, almost got the A/C units installed lol.
Chance of snow this weekend :happy:.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thought you'd get a kick out of that.
I'll even throw in a couple bars and chains, and a set of huge dawgs for you:lol:.

Did they run an arch behind it?
No never did. Not sure it would have worked very well in the steep brushy terrain he worked in (I assume you mean the wheeled type not mounted to the winch?) but some lift sure would have helped. Always thought an arch mounted to the winch would have been great.

Latest posts

Back