Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the news last night was a report that kinda confirms what I have been saying …

Hospitals are full of folks who followed the Gov advice to stay at home and "shelter in place", but have very few people who have been going outside, enjoying the fresh air, and getting some Sun!

Fresh air dissipates the germs, and Sun Light will kill it, so it makes sense to me!

Don't hand shake, don't hug, don't cough or sneeze at anyone, and stay outside as much as possible. It is time to get back to life.

Hospitals are full of folks who followed the Gov advice to stay at home and "shelter in place", but have very few people who have been going outside, enjoying the fresh air, and getting some Sun!
Anecdotal. Completely meaningless without context. People getting fresh air who live on acreage, or in NYC? People who stayed at home but were infected by others who did not? Who gets into the hospitals and who is turned away? People who were otherwise healthy compared to / matched against those with underlying conditions? Need to look at the bigger picture, such as states like Georgia, which is turning itself into a giant Petri dish experiment, and see what happens over several weeks.

The guidelines did not just come out of someones' imagination, but following up on the experiences of other countries, and their results.

Philbert

Anecdotal. Completely meaningless without context. People getting fresh air who live on acreage, or in NYC? People who stayed at home but were infected by others who did not? Who gets into the hospitals and who is turned away? People who were otherwise healthy compared to / matched against those with underlying conditions? Need to look at the bigger picture, such as states like Georgia, which is turning itself into a giant Petri dish experiment, and see what happens over several weeks.

The guidelines did not just come out of someones' imagination, but following up on the experiences of other countries, and their results.

Philbert

I respectfully disagree, just look at Sweden and Denmark. Most of the guidelines have come out of fear and political bias.

Maybe a good part of NY's high death rate was due to Cuomo's action that forced Nursing Home's to re-admit Covid 19 patients. And here I thought that any idiot would know that you have to protect the most vulnerable populations first. Gee, I wonder why the news media is not covering this … imagine if Trump had done it!!!

Probably the same reason the news media did not cover the very toxic water release in CO by the EPA when Obama was President. They are becoming very effective at brainwashing the American public, and objections to the bias are too few and far between.

My cousin just bought an awd passat wagon. I didn't even know the existed. Passat Wagons of course but this looks more like a touareg then the older Passat. Gotta admit it ticks a lot of boxes.
I like smaller station wagons (!) and looked at the VWs many times, but never could fit comfortably in them for some reason. My right leg always felt cramped by the center console. Other choices are limited: the Subaru Outback grew much larger several years ago, and Saturn was discontinued a long time back. Other than that, 'station wagon' seemed to be a dirty word among automakers, unless you were willing to shell out for a Volvo or Mercedes; those, apparently were 'OK'. Everything else was a 'crossover' or 'SUV'. But I mostly drive on pavement, and like a car that is lower to the ground and holds the road well. Really did not 'need' AWD / 4-wheel drive. I had a Toyota Corolla station wagon for 20+ years that I loved, but the rust started to catch up with that one. Ended up with a Subaru Impreza hatchback, which I like, but which does not have the squared off cargo capacity that a wagon of the same size would.

Philbert

Volvos are good aside from electrical issues. A real yippie vibe to em. A culture I never fit into.
The other problem with luxury vehicles is when they get old and need repair. Replacement parts are priced as though they expect the nearly worn out car to still be owned by rich people.

We are nearly four hours from the nearest luxury car dealer (excluding Cadillac and Lincoln). So there are nearly zero older Mercedes, Volvo, Saab, Lexus, BWM etc up here except for seasonal residents driving newer models. Older luxury cars are cheap until it is time to repair them.

The other problem with luxury vehicles is when they get old and need repair. Replacement parts are priced as though they expect the nearly worn out car to still be owned by rich people.

We are nearly four hours from the nearest luxury car dealer (excluding Cadillac and Lincoln). So there are nearly zero older Mercedes, Volvo, Saab, Lexus, BWM etc up here except for seasonal residents driving newer models. Older luxury cars are cheap until it is time to repair them.
We get hit on them here because our registration is based on the msrp, used to be the weight, then it was the price you paid iirc.
My 90 Lexus 400ls was 40k when new it was $180 for plates, I never renewed them. I renewed my civic at $76 and then transferred the plates for like $15, I did that for 4 yrs. Yes I'm cheap, I mean frugal :p.

My cousin just bought an awd passat wagon. I didn't even know the existed. Passat Wagons of course but this looks more like a touareg then the older Passat. Gotta admit it ticks a lot of boxes.
When Car & Driver did their evaluation on the new AWD Passat the benchmark they used for comparison of the AWD component was....you may not have guessed...Subaru. Subaru's AWD is top of the heap. Just sayin'

I like smaller station wagons (!) and looked at the VWs many times, but never could fit comfortably in them for some reason. My right leg always felt cramped by the center console. Other choices are limited: the Subaru Outback grew much larger several years ago, and Saturn was discontinued a long time back. Other than that, 'station wagon' seemed to be a dirty word among automakers, unless you were willing to shell out for a Volvo or Mercedes; those, apparently were 'OK'. Everything else was a 'crossover' or 'SUV'. But I mostly drive on pavement, and like a car that is lower to the ground and holds the road well. Really did not 'need' AWD / 4-wheel drive. I had a Toyota Corolla station wagon for 20+ years that I loved, but the rust started to catch up with that one. Ended up with a Subaru Impreza hatchback, which I like, but which does not have the squared off cargo capacity that a wagon of the same size would.

Philbert
I bet the engineers from AMC are rollin' over in their graves. They knew they had a goldmine with the Eagle, just 30 years too soon.

I bet the engineers from AMC are rollin' over in their graves. They knew they had a goldmine with the Eagle, just 30 years too soon.
I've always laughed at that too.
Good friend had one, it was very reliable, we got it into some pretty bad situations and only had to be pulled out a few times :rock:.

Latest posts

Back