Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either will work, but a larger pump also needs more power which means it drinks more fuel.
Finding a good balance is always difficult which is why I like a lot of the older store bought 22ton unit's, not to big which is nice for moving them, plenty of power for what I do, and they are fairly quick.
Here's the axle I was thinking of, nice torsion axle for towing. Not sure how difficult they are to shorten, never cut into one, but I'm sure theres plenty of info out there. If it's like a normal axle it would be real easy.
https://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/d/dansville-trailer-axel/7105705225.htmlHere's something to drive it around the yard with, not too far from you :).
https://limaohio.craigslist.org/hvo/d/lafayette-dr-dump-wagon/7116545274.html

Nice!

Thanks for the leads ;)

I'll try the smaller ram first, then go from there.

There's a couple saw carrying packs I've seen, but they don't come cheap!
Yeah I bet! Lol. I’ve got a pack I could probably haul the 550 in but yeah I think that’d get old fast. I’ll probably see if I can make some kind of a rack myself.

There were a couple of threads about converting back pack and military surplus packs for carrying saws. Unfortunately, many of the photos were lost, but there still might be some ideas in there:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/let-alice-carry-it.87994/https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-backpack.122153/
Philbert

The Eccoboost F-150 is just over a year old and just rolled over 6,000 miles today.

I don't think using Mobil 1 oil (0-40wt) had any negative effect on fuel consumption, but the Blizzak tires sure did. Those Michelins that came from the factory must have a low rolling resistance.

Don't have many miles on this tank (less than 30), just went to TS + back, and played off a light running the engine about 5,000 for a bit, and I am still averaging over 20 MPG on this tank! Of course, I drove it "soft" the rest of the time, but for local driving with a full size truck, I'm happy!

The Eccoboost F-150 is just over a year old and just rolled over 6,000 miles today.

I don't think using Mobil 1 oil (0-40wt) had any negative effect on fuel consumption, but the Blizzak tires shore did. Those Michelins that came from the factory must have a low rolling resistance.

Don't have many miles on this tank (less than 30), just went to TS + back, and played off a light running the engine about 5,000 for a bit, and I am still averaging over 20 MPG on this tank! Of course, I drove it "soft" the rest of the time, but for local driving with a full size truck, I'm happy!

Love the Ecoboost motors. My Taurus SHO was a dream to drive, had endless acceleration, and I averaged 21-22mpg.

20MPG in a truck is amazing!

I don't think using Mobil 1 oil (0-40wt) had any negative effect on fuel consumption, but the Blizzak tires shore did. Those Michelins that came from the factory must have a low rolling resistance.

I've found you always pay, sometimes you pay up front, sometimes during, and sometimes down the road, but you always pay. The hope is that you don't have to pay at every stage of the way, I've had those, and it wasn't fun :rare2:.
Sure is amazing what some of the new equipment gets for fuel economy, now, if it lasts as long as the older, that's to be seen.

You guys ever watch this guys vids.

You can get skidding winches with saw holders on them :innocent:.
Many guys screw a couple 2x10 together and bore cut into the seam, then use u-bolts to attach it where they want the saw.
I think it was @Duce who had one mounted on the side of his bucket.
When I need to carry a few of them I load all my goodies into the bucket on my chaps and use my fuel/oil jugs to keep them from rubbing on each other.
The last time I hauled them in the bucket I went to the neighbors to help out with the good sized cherry. I threw a piece of wood I keep on the front porch in the bucket as I needed a little more room. I leave that piece of plywood on the side of the house or on the front porch for setting saws on when I blowing them off so I don't have to set them down on the concrete, don't want the girls to get scratched up :).
Ported 440, 261, and 2166, and a MM2252, it was a fun day and only filled up to get a couple videos, and I didn't have to touch the chains up at all.
View attachment 827059
Just wondering. Could one of those bar scabbards be mounted to use as a saw carrier? Maybe too flimsy to stand up to the vibration, etc.
d for a carry mount? Probably too flimsy to stand up tothe vibration, etc.

I have the 3.5 wearing 2013 tin. There was a noticeable improvement in fuel economy once it got over 25000 miles. Not sure if the 2.7 does the same thing but it would be nice.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Sitting at home waiting for the gravel guy to show to bring gravel for the road association
. He was supposed to come yesterday and cancelled after he was supposed to be here. He’s running two hours late today. I’ve had to take two afternoons off to take care of this.

Unfortunately it always happens this way with contractors.

Just wondering. Could one of those bar scabbards be mounted to use as a saw carrier? Maybe too flimsy to stand up to the vibration, etc.
d for a carry mount? Probably too flimsy to stand up tothe vibration, etc.
They're pretty flimsy, the ones that attach to the older saw cases are a lot stronger and could work, but probably wouldn't last very long either.
I would like to put one on my ride, just haven't made it happen yet.

That's cool, well sort of lol. Did you fill the stove right up or what.
Do you export bags of charcoal to the US :blob2:.

I put in what I thought was the equivalent of a typical load of wood. It cooled the stove off significantly at first then after a bit (I wasn't watching closely enough) with the air fully open it became incandescent. I only did it like that once! However, adding a little bit at a time works well.

Another thing I have done WRT burning down coals is to spread the coal bed out evenly then put two large V shaped splits in with the pointy bit downwards (sometimes leaning against each other to keep them upright) so there is minimum coverage of the coals and still a strong draw of air. By the time those bits have become coals themselves, most of the other coals have gone.

Sitting at home waiting for the gravel guy to show to bring gravel for the road association
. He was supposed to come yesterday and cancelled after he was supposed to be here. He’s running two hours late today. I’ve had to take two afternoons off to take care of this.

Unfortunately it always happens this way with contractors.

Funny. We’re having gates and fence replaced on the south side of the house, originally supposed to have been done Friday & Saturday. Then on Wednesday he asks if they can come Thursday & Friday instead, yeah sure. Supposed to have been here between 7 & 8:30 Thursday morning, didn't get here until 1:30. Called at 9:00 to tell me they’d be here at 12:30. I didn’t hear the phone, and he didn’t leave a message. Friday they got more done, no showed Saturday. Sunday off. More done yesterday, but still not finished. Not sure if they’ll be here today, waiting for the gates to be built. Wouldn’t give me a show up time for today, yesterday. I called a while ago to find out what’s going on. Frustrating people. At first I thought “great”, it’ll only take two days, then I can go to our mountain place and do more with the trees and brush. Here we are on six days.

You guys ever watch this guys vids.

That's amazing. Serious skill. I'd love to be able to make things like that - or even half as good - but I can only do destruction, not construction (at the moment). I have been thinking about taking some woodworking classes to try to become a bit less useless in that area, might have to get a bit more serious about it.

I'm at just about 75K on the 2009 150. It has the 4.6 V-8. 19.5 mpg today pulling about 3000 lbs with the trailer. 5w20 synthetic oil every 5000 miles since new.

Funny. We’re having gates and fence replaced on the south side of the house, originally supposed to have been done Friday & Saturday. Then on Wednesday he asks if they can come Thursday & Friday instead, yeah sure. Supposed to have been here between 7 & 8:30 Thursday morning, didn't get here until 1:30. Called at 9:00 to tell me they’d be here at 12:30. I didn’t hear the phone, and he didn’t leave a message. Friday they got more done, no showed Saturday. Sunday off. More done yesterday, but still not finished. Not sure if they’ll be here today, waiting for the gates to be built. Wouldn’t give me a show up time for today, yesterday. I called a while ago to find out what’s going on. Frustrating people. At first I thought “great”, it’ll only take two days, then I can go to our mountain place and do more with the trees and brush. Here we are on six days.
Frustrating for sure. Basically it’s a balancing act to string along as many customers as possible.

My guy showed up on time to the pushed back pushed back time. He’s delivered 4 loads so far and should be here with the fifth of six soon.

He nearly got stuck spreading one load as the shoulder was very muddy. Glad I didn’t have to try and pull him out.

My Ford F150's got this neat feature where you never have to change the oil. It automatically burns off the old oil and you just add a quart of new oil at every fill up. By the time you've driven 3000 miles you've already done 2 full, 6 quart oil changes! It's brilliant! ;)
My hat's off to the lads in Detroit for coming up with that one!

My Ford F150's got this neat feature where you never have to change the oil. It automatically burns off the old oil and you just add a quart of new oil at every fill up. By the time you've driven 3000 miles you've already done 2 full, 6 quart oil changes! It's brilliant! ;)
My hat's off to the lads in Detroit for coming up with that one!

The old man had a Ford Anglia when he was young, he said you'd stop at the servo to fill up the oil and top up the petrol (gas).

Latest posts

Back