Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have an easement, or right of way in the deed? If so, you have the right to maintain it.
Good question. The road has been there over 60 years and their home is the newest lot to be developed, ca 1996.

Two neighbors got in a squabble a while back and neighbor 1 ended up losing the lawsuit and having to build a new driveway so they did not cross neighbor 2's property. Which was obnoxious as neighbor 1 was one of the first, or the first place on the road and neighbor 2 moved in 35 years later. The dumbest thing was both places changed hands and now everyone uses the original driveway and the "new driveway" further down the road is falling into dispair. Poor lady spent 20% of her sale proceeds to put in that new driveway.

I totally understand what you are saying (and agree with you). His supposed concern was that we would impact his driveway by putting in the culvert and he needs every inch of it for backing trailers into the area to the right of the picture (although in reality he did not as I could clearly see where the vehicles had been driving into said area and they were nowhere near the area we wanted to work on). Secondly, I was not the person who asked him for permission to put it in so it is very possible that my other neighbor did not adequately/accurately relay our requested plan. But knowing that he had been hesitant to allow work along his section of the road in the past is what compelled me to move on to "Plan B" of raising the road versus trying to convince him that we need a culvert. It is a bit frustrating as he and his father needed variances in the past and none of the neighbors objected to them, but something as simple as a culvert installed at no charge to him was an issue.

Secondly, if we had pushed the agenda it could certainly have caused ill will, especially towards me because everyone knows I am the spark plug/driving force to keep road improvements going. Since everyone on the road gets along (which is tough thing to achieve with 13 landowners) it is better left that way. In the past a couple of our neighbors have taken (frivolous) legal action against each other, but all of them are now dead and their places have changed hands. He is a good neighbor in the respect that his family (including two teen boys) are very quiet so (knock on wood) you never need to worry about them causing any issues. Side note-they are very private people (especially his wife), they had lived there for 12 years before I saw his wife face to face and the only reason why I finally met her was because I flagged her down on the road to warn her of a tree that had fallen further up the road. I literally could not have picked her out of a lineup before that.

As a small silver lining, after we decided to raise the road, we discovered the phone line runs right through the culvert area so that would have been a rude awakening to sever. Anyone know how much it costs to fix a line? We had no idea there were any lines in the area. I guess it pays to call gopher state so they mark the lines, plus their service is free!

I understand all of this, sounds like politics. The issue is only postponed, as the problem is gonna be his now.

The Forest Service has a 50 foot wide easement through our property (I read it in our deed), for the main road that accesses the area. The property lines are all north, south, east, and west, but the road winds around with the contours of the land. Others have the road on their property too. As I see it, that’s theirs to maintain as they see fit. I could make suggestions, but they don’t have to listen to me. The road only uses about 12 to 20 feet, not all 50 feet.

We had underground lines marked once. They marked them wrong, a few feet off. We just found it, and followed it.

I understand all of this, sounds like politics. The issue is only postponed, as the problem is gonna be his now.
Truth! I do not know if it is a control issue, indifference, or something else......but no longer my problem! We offered to fix the issue for no charge and he declined. We also informed the entire road association of our intent to raise the road and suggested anyone with an issue should contact the prez of the association. He heard nothing.

What does the law say? Local bylaw? Does the law allow the road association to decide or do they still have to defer to some bylaws/regulations? I, as much if not more than most, love to stick it to obstructive peanuts, but only up to what is clearly permitted by law.

My Ford F150's got this neat feature where you never have to change the oil. It automatically burns off the old oil and you just add a quart of new oil at every fill up. By the time you've driven 3000 miles you've already done 2 full, 6 quart oil changes! It's brilliant! ;)
My hat's off to the lads in Detroit for coming up with that one!
I had a 2004 F350 with a 6.0 diesel. It was designed to just keep adding oil as it ran out of rear crank seal. What a time saver mine was also.

Beat you all: had a '68 VW micro bus with a cracked engine casing. Only held 2-1/2 quarts of oil when full.

I shoved a metal tube up to the crack and epoxied it place. Placed a plastic jug below and collected the leaking oil.

Drove around the country like that. About every 200 miles the 'low oil' light would come on; we would pull over, pour the oil back in, top it off, push start the vehicle, and continue on our way.

Philbert

Did a bunch of stumping along the roadway. Dulled the chain but didn’t damage the cutting edges of the full chisel chain so I can sharpen by hand. Then I put on a scrounged bar and chain to finish up the cuts. Finally made one working combo with all of the miscellaneous bars and chains I’ve scrounged!

D039DBFB-1477-4E2E-8089-6A1359CB51C0.jpeg0C88D1AD-C306-42A7-8977-B4FA95779E99.jpeg5EEA203E-5EDE-4DD3-ADF5-C01FF9469ECD.jpeg

Well, it was another really nice day today, so off I go to get out the two tree's I cut down yesterday, and that hard maple was a bruiser!

Looks like I'm going to need a longer chain to get this one!

standard.jpg

I also carry a 10 footer, 5/16 grade 70, so no worries! So, I get it hooked up and I winched the log out to the tractor,

standard.jpg

and I got started skidding it out, AND that maple sure made the front end light on my tractor!

standard.jpg

Once out, I grabbed Jonny (2260) and cut the oak into two 8' 6", and the maple into 10-12 foot logs, and got loaded up,

standard.jpg

and it made one he!! of a load!

standard.jpg

and I headed home! Now to get that maple cut into firewood!

SR

Steve, does the neighbour own the gravel quarry? Nice income selling you gravel each spring.

He's going to be raising his drive next spring though and then you are back to square one, surely.
The gravel comes from about 7 miles away. He’s got a good operation going there.

If no-culvert neighbor decided to raise his entire driveway that might actually solve the problem too. Cause once there’s no area for the water to pool, we don’t have to deal with it flooding then washing out. But honestly I don’t see that happening. He’s a busy guy running the family business but besides snowmobiling he’s never outside.

Back