Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a couple friends that said Milk Snake. I'm going to do a Milk Snake search before I say no, and give others a chance. They are seen a lot in southern MD and VA, but not very often in Western MD. They live in the South East and the lower half of the US heading West. I checked, not a Milk Snake, they are a member of the King Snake family. This guy is a member of the Rat Snake family and is a constrictor, squeezes it's dinner first.

Had a couple friends that said Milk Snake. I'm going to do a Milk Snake search before I say no, and give others a chance. They are seen a lot in southern MD and VA, but not very often in Western MD. They live in the South East and the lower half of the US heading West. I checked, not a Milk Snake, they are a member of the King Snake family. This guy is a member of the Rat Snake family and is a constrictor, squeezes it's dinner first.

Here's our western milk snake, hence the guess.
defaultGen.aspx.jpg
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=ARADB1905B

Your Western is pretty. Are they agressive. Mine is very docile. They are said to be “reluctant” to bite. They get 4-6 feet long.

I’ve seen black snakes up like that. I’ll move a black snake out of the road with a stick, but they don’t like to be bothered. Every friend I know that tried to show off and pick one up got bit. My little sister used to pick them up by the tail and throw them out of the road, and never got bit.

This somehow seemed like such a @Backyard Lumberjack score. It's a small tree that fell across my driveway a couple days ago, just laying there for the taking. So... off to the stacks it goes.

right! good campwood. could make a campfire for all day long! :) oodles of bundles like that all around my neighborhood currently... tree pick up month...

I have prob 3-5 cords oak currently. maybe a bit more. that's cut and stacked. avail to go get, dead wood, oak, mesquite... easy another 10-15 cords... and if I want to do the forestry... and cull... seems the cords are near on... limitless! ;) but I am a bit of a sucker for those... 10 min, reach and grab city jobs... no driving required. lol

if I could only get u to cut it up and ship it down: FREE SHIPPING! lol

Image result for Firewood Line Art for Free

Image result for firewood free shipping ups image

cheers chipper. I'd not use a huztl cylinder. it just surprises me they dont sell the 372 port covers and save people the effort with the dremmel. What do you use to smap them out, just a pair of pliers and snap or something with more of a cutting edge? I doubt i'll botther but well..yo know...I know...we all now....a MM is a gateway mod.
If i just MM it, do i need to remove the liniters fr the carb? I guess that depends how much i gut the muffler. OEM it has what, one 1/2" hole, I'd have thought it wouldn't want more than 50% more at most, (area). I'd go less for a start
I get that, I've kinda wondered the same thing, not sure why they wouldn't pick up on that.
No need to remove the limiters if you have the right screwdriver, but removing them means you can turn them all the way in or out with a normal screwdriver. The "limiter ring" can be pushed in with another screwdriver or a pick, I just like them removed as I don't need to carry anything but a normal screwdriver when I get one out. Some guys just remove the "limiter ring" altogether, but I like it there to help hold pressure on the needle and to help line my screwdriver up.
Yes you can open the mufflers up a good bit with nice results, I don't think you can really go to open with the stock deflector.
You can trim them with side cutters, grind out with Dremel and finish with Dremel sanding drum.
This on the covers, but you better have a good pair of cutters. I break them out first with a pair of smaller vise grips and a pair of channel locks(slip joint pliers), then I cut out anything left over as I don't have a nice set of side cutters currently.

I took some time last night and this afternoon to clean up the scrounging mobile. I've been neglecting her, hasn't had a proper bath, polish & wax in years. She cleaned up well. Not too bad for a 23 year old pickup that is driven every winter in the rust belt.

View attachment 830841View attachment 830842View attachment 830843
Looks great!
Didn't you say you were looking to sell that, I have saws, will trade :p.
Best looking Ford truck ever right there IMO
I like that style too, and the next one as the doors/windows look just like the Kenworth trucks I drove for many yrs, and they are also very functional with the bigger mirrors.

I put an ad on face book and craigslist for tree companies a place to drop off their wood. I offer to accept large rounds because I have a 3 foot splitter that goes on my Bobcat. I take pine and hardwood. I get a lot of wood from 3 different companies. Even sold some because I have some much and do not want it to rot before use. Good Luck

Welcome, TLBM! I joined this forum when I was convalescing after knee surgery. I read every page from the start, took me about two months to get up to what was then 'the present' which was about 850 odd pages. You've got a lot of catching up to do!

Me and the free for nothing trailer busy today with a scrounge from my newest new best friend. Got 3 new best friends in this neighborhood just on word of mouth. 2 loads so far today, going back for more later.View attachment 830392
Observation: What is it about pine that makes people cut the branches long so they look like Czech hedgehogs? Are they trying to prevent an invasion into their wood pile?
View attachment 830397

I was thinking it was about time you got out on the scrounge...;)

I went out today to have a look at a scrounge I had been offered. This gentleman and his wife have been clients of mine and he has enough wood so he calls me when a tree comes down. I am also probably a bit more game with a chainsaw than him so I have helped him out on a few occasions. Most of the wood I have taken from his place is swamp gum which is both not so dense and more-than-average ashy so I burn it in the firepit or take it down to my brother to burn for heat. Anyway, he told me about this one.

26th May 1.jpg

26th May 2.jpg

26th May 3.jpg

One big problem with swamp gums is that they often rot internally with no external signs. This one is snagged up in another one of uncertain quality. I walked around it several times scratching my chin and eventually decided it was above my pay grade. When your pay grade is zero plus the enjoyment of swinging chainsaws for fun, the threshold is not that high. So I passed.

Tomorrow, however, I have a lead on some conifer type softwood. I have been looking for some of that to mix in and help burn down my coals a bit. We'll see how we go. As you would expect, there will be pics!

Cowboy! Cowboy to aisle 5 please, cowboy to aisle 5.

Ah, you remembered the day my nuts fell off. That was April 2017 when I had changed the chain on Limby and not tightened up the nuts enough, then halfway through dropping a big eucalypt I paused to have a look around and at the tree while Limby was idling in the cut then when I took hold of the powerhead again I found it disconnected from the bar and chain which was in the tree and the cover which was on the ground. I just spent 15 mins looking back through the thread to find the original post but couldn't find it. That was back when I was scrounging at the Lady Farm, good days they were. I enjoyed being able to take down any tree I liked the look of without needing to ask first.

I found out subsequently that most people that knew I was going out there assumed I was giving the Lady Farmer much, much more than good quality firewood, while taking plenty home for myself. A bit naïve of me, I guess. The fact was that I was in it for the chainsawing only and being happily married with strong family instincts, I wasn't going there. Despite being recently separated, and to her credit, she never made a move either. Is it so strange that a man might only have an interest in a lady's trees? :rare2:

Bensalem? About 40 minutes north In Bucks County. I’m in Delaware County, bordering Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties.

Demand for dry wood here is high, green wood supply is high yet I don’t have adequate space to stack and dry for a year here in suburban Philadelphia. One could make a killing here if they had the right set up. Especially with the virus keeping everyone home.....
It just showed up with a Philly location on FB. Over here any thing east of Lancaster is Philly.:laugh:

Back