Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put this pic in the Fire circle thread, because he was under a big White Oak log, next to my fire circle,
when I rolled it over. Any one know what he is? I do.View attachment 830858
Well, I guess that’s all of the guesses. It’s a Corn Snake. They like old barns and like ti climb. Farmers would often find them in corn cribs.

I went out today to have a look at a scrounge I had been offered. This gentleman and his wife have been clients of mine and he has enough wood so he calls me when a tree comes down. I am also probably a bit more game with a chainsaw than him so I have helped him out on a few occasions. Most of the wood I have taken from his place is swamp gum which is both not so dense and more-than-average ashy so I burn it in the firepit or take it down to my brother to burn for heat. Anyway, he told me about this one.

View attachment 830899

View attachment 830900

View attachment 830901

One big problem with swamp gums is that they often rot internally with no external signs. This one is snagged up in another one of uncertain quality. I walked around it several times scratching my chin and eventually decided it was above my pay grade. When your pay grade is zero plus the enjoyment of swinging chainsaws for fun, the threshold is not that high. So I passed.

Tomorrow, however, I have a lead on some conifer type softwood. I have been looking for some of that to mix in and help burn down my coals a bit. We'll see how we go. As you would expect, there will be pics!
Make a small undercut part way thru at the first small branch and hook up a chain to the Ranger. :D

I need details on this. Custom I'm assuming?

I have the same bumper. Originally I was trying to think of a way to put a 10k or 12.5k one behind the bumper, but your setup looks more practical.
I welded an I-beam between the frame rails and welded (2) 2" hitch receivers to that. Then used (2) 2" hitches under the winch mount. The ball mount holes make a good clevis connection point. Bumper is spaced out as far as the stock mounting bolts would allow, ~ 7/8" IIRC. 3/8" holes drilled in the pockets where water could accumulate.
20200526_115941.jpg
Bottom of winch mount in the receivers before paint & bumper
20181231_085822.jpg

I welded an I-beam between the frame rails and welded (2) 2" hitch receivers to that. Then used (2) 2" hitches under the winch mount. The ball mount holes make a good clevis connection point. Bumper is spaced out as far as the stock mounting bolts would allow, ~ 7/8" IIRC. 3/8" holes drilled in the pockets where water could accumulate.
View attachment 831003
View attachment 831006
Looks good I like that idea:rock:

@ farmer Steve
View attachment 830864Here is the only free mulberry I found. I’ve yet to get a hold of anything In the mulberry family except for a super small amount of black locust.

Mulberry, Osage, and locust are high on my “want” list.
You. Could have filled your trunk with mulberry here.IMG_20200405_191932504.jpg

Make a small undercut part way thru at the first small branch and hook up a chain to the Ranger. :D

The combination of:

1) Working for free/something to do,
2) Not great quality wood, and,
3) Not my problem,

makes me less inclined to bother with it. If it was my land or was getting paid to do it, I might try a bit harder.

I'll be starting up again on my horse farm scrounge in a week or two . The loggers are done and repaired most of the trails . Owner is going to groom them some more. There is more wood down than I can use but the owner doesn't let many people go on his property . I can get my truck and trailer into the woods now. Instead of just the truck and the FEL 20200526_160259.jpg20200526_160406.jpg

The combination of:

1) Working for free/something to do,
2) Not great quality wood, and,
3) Not my problem,

makes me less inclined to bother with it. If it was my land or was getting paid to do it, I might try a bit harder.
I hear ya but if that was Spruce, I'd be there at the crack of dawn and loaded in the truck before anyone had a chance to get a sniff llol

I hear ya but if that was Spruce, I'd be there at the crack of dawn and loaded in the truck before anyone had a chance to get a sniff llol
And you'd get a reputation as a capable get-er-done type among the rural network that might present some wonderful opportunities later on. But that might be overrated if you've already got more work than ya can shake a stick at.

View attachment 831003
View attachment 831006
That’s a nice set up. Mine has a piece of square tube across the front, might have to look into doing something similar 8069D081-7BD6-4C8E-A22E-FC60575837F2.jpeg

Cut some trees for a logger that’s taking out dead and dying trees in a camp ground, couple of them were pretty nice red fir, bigger one was 40”CEE713A5-8EA0-4D77-AF49-ED57A6CA4174.jpeg7BD313CB-66D6-4758-A7A6-EF5387B595A6.jpegD7DBE967-4DC4-4AE2-AF01-3DEF8BDD4993.jpeg

Latest posts

Back