Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I went up to my Cabin in the Catskills - there were 9 of us on Sat and 7 stayed overnight, including both my Daughters and 3 Grandkids. My older Daughter, who lives in New Hampshire, has not been to the property in over 20 years and has never seen the "new" cabin. We all had a great time, hiking, exploring, shooting and cutting wood.

I even restored the view from my Lifeguard tower of the Cannonsville Reservoir and the Rte 10 bridge. None of it was visible before I started cutting.

None of the trees were large, as this is where the Tornado touched down a couple of decades ago. But the terrain is steep and I was happy to have the light little MMWS 261 to get it done (in the heat) over the two days we were up there.

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_121143095_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200719_121143095_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200719_121128221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200719_121128221_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200719_120643509_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200719_120643509_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200719_120704753_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200719_120704753_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 30
Another thing I forgot to mention … Unlike down here, when we go for a hike almost all the Ash trees are dead or dying, up at my cabin they seem to be doing just fine. I was concerned earlier as they did not have leaves when the Black Cherry and most other species did, but they all have leaves now and look good.

Since about 30-40% of my mature trees up there (50 acres) are Ash, I was very relieved! Hopefully I will have enough large trees for a timber cut in not too many years. They used to log the property every decade, then the tornado hit, followed by several powerful wind storms, and as a result the property has not been logged for 2 and 1/2 decades.

Ok guys I found this laying across a trail and someone just cut out a section to pass by. Looks like maple bark real thick, but fibers of wood look similar to beech. What day you scroungers?
8328f98a88cfd3cb415bde793b68ed35.jpg

4cfd95608b320a0d3eaa1a796adc413e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yellow popular?

Got some practice in with the maul today. My new hookaroon is a back saver for sure.
View attachment 843737
Also, I was thinking of starting a wood smoking/barbecue thread to discuss favorite wood for smoking and other smoke wood matters.
Try the search function. I believe there’s a few good smoking wood threads buried in here.

Turned out to be a couple of wild things. Assuming the one has a cracked handle. But they are complete and both come with spare chains.

View attachment 843665

My first saw I started using for processing firewood was a wild thing my dad left behind when I bought my grandparents place. 18" bar, IIRC. I thought I was doing good until my FIL brought out a borrowed MS290 one day. My life was changed, and the ole wild thang didn't last too long after experiencing a "real" saw. Picked up my MS310 no long after. LOL.

did more clearing of dad's 'tools, treasures and junk' from the garage yesterday and 'scrounged up' some tools, spanners, jacks, axle stands and so on...I'l keep some and distribute some to friends. I also scrounged up another half bottle of BLO and a half bottle of danish oil so I'm set for axe restoration/handle treatment! Oh and a bit off topic...Also found a Kriegsmarine U-boat officers stopwatch by Dugane, issued to officers for timing torpedoes. I kid you not. Absolutely no idea where it came from! The detective work should be fun.

Very cool!!

Hmmm, Briggs and Stratton have filed for bankruptcy and have sold or looking to sell their assets to a holding company. I wonder what the availability of spare parts will be like in the future.

I would think that there must be plenty of parts out there including knock off parts, no Briggs here though just a Honda clone Lifan motor.

We could use some rain out here as well right now but i'll take advantage of the dry weather and go out and cut and split more.

I would think that there must be plenty of parts out there including knock off parts, no Briggs here though just a Honda clone Lifan motor.

We could use some rain out here as well right now but i'll take advantage of the dry weather and go out and cut and split more.
I’d concur, every small engine shop around here has oodles of B&S parts not counting knock offs. I’d be willing to bet there will never be a shortage.

Latest posts

Back