Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if a wheelbarrow full counts as a "load".
3 more "fully burdened firewood transportation device" worth this morning. I split it in the shade of yesterday afternoon and moved it this morning. A bit cooler today but humid after the rain.
20200816_103518.jpg20200816_104300.jpg20200816_105100.jpg

Btw, My whooping the other day was because I got a new job, very very excited. Big promotion and pay rise, and a REALLY good job to do. Moving on an up from the **** of being interviewed for my own job an outed back in December, so relieved, and very excited!
Congrats on the good news!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Btw, My whooping the other day was because I got a new job, very very excited. Big promotion and pay rise, and a REALLY good job to do. Moving on an up from the **** of being interviewed for my own job an outed back in December, so relieved, and very excited!
Congrats Neil. Hope it works out for you. Pay raise= new/more toys.

Awesome!

Got this aspen safely on the ground although the widow maker hinge failed and the top came back at stump but I was safely on the other side which was protected by trees. I ate from the top up the trunk till it was suspended then did the felling cut. The break happened just as I was about to drop it. Surprising to see it come back that far but I was on the safe side and kept my eyes in the tree.

The Poulan 245 is an absolute beast although the banana bar is shot so it wasn’t cutting the best. I’ll re-rig it with a bar adaptor and Stihl mount bar later this week. The Mac 35 ran surprisingly well but needs a sharper chain. Gull darn Mac of course needs a proprietary DL count chain so I can’t go into the reserves to get a better chain.

Terrible cell service at the cabin today. Only 4G unless I walk way up the hill. I guess I need to call and complain again.
9F8DF4A7-3E2D-4B18-AD34-7A893A8F621E.jpeg88BB41FD-4E2D-4F44-9B21-82EEF670EB71.jpeg7A6EB3A6-BC8D-493F-85AD-89AFDAF791BB.jpegA56A0B70-020F-4C83-96DB-9EF5849E5DAF.jpeg07E513F8-9E75-4204-9297-508B0BBE562F.jpegC34718B5-6335-47B4-AD15-8339EAFDD206.jpeg9EB7B89F-1B7C-4CFD-9F0E-81DC2F5F217D.jpeg

Gah!

Filed the chain on the Mac 35. The cutters on one side had been filed at about 25 degrees and the other side was about 50 degrees so by the time I trued things up one cutter was way longer than the other. Then the bumper tie straps interfered with the depth gauge tool so I had to guess at depth gauge height. Cuts better but pulls towards the longer cutters in larger wood. I’ll “spay” the tie straps and even up the cutters as time allows.

Fairly productive day.

Got the 245 muffler cobbled back together. The banana bar is junk as it will pass a .063 chain though most of the rails despite being .050. I’ve got a better bar at the house.

Got the McCinderblock 610 from FB Marketplace running. That had a very dull chain so I took the decent safety chain from the 245 and made some cuts. Saw needs a few things but it’s more or less a backup/ride in the pickup type of saw so not too concerned.

Found a 50 DL chain to get the Mac 35 cutting. Not much left in the adjuster because it calls for a 49 DL chain but worked fine for cookie cutting.

Did a little work on a Poulan 3314 I picked up from a yard sale. Swapped the recoil off a parts saw and diagnosed the other issue as a fuel line which I’ll get from town.

After it cooled down I finished up the load of wood I started this morning.
97D0D688-9DAD-4B9C-9F7B-691C20AF02F7.jpeg

Thats great Neil! Congrats, we spend most of our time at a job, nice to have a good one.

Congrats :cheers:.
Excellent news Neil, enjoy the honeymoon!
:lol:

Here is the stump. It's easy to see what I did wrong. I was trying to save the maple and didn't realize that I had cut such an angle on the mouth. Then went I bore cut from the back side I cut through my holding wood then I straighten my cut and cut it completely. I still can't figure out why my saw didn't get stuck in the cut. I wonder if it could be that the trees were caught together so much that it was suspended so it didn't bind the saw?
Yeah, that happens, the good thing is you had that half inch, I didn't know you got those there in Canada lol.
The last time I nipped a hinge I was cutting with the top side of the bar when I bored in to set the hinge, not only did I misjudge it, but the bar also walked into the hinge, I lost nearly all the sap wood on the low side, same as you I was surprised it didn't pinch my bar. The good thing is it fell about 10 degrees of the lay which wasn't a big problem, glad we had taken the time to rope it and it was hooked to the truck or it could have crushed an old atrium near the pool.
Luckily we've got to practice a little and know how to stay out of troubles way ourselves, bummer is most the targets don't know how to move, thank God for half inches lol.

Back