Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ SAXMAN: Maybe I messed it sometime back But... What is that Orange Tank on the back of your tractor???

Thanks
David

That is my rear ballast I made from the generator section of a 1930’s Westinghouse engine drive welder. I scrapped all the copper and but the iron back in it. Don’t need to worry about bending it if you back into something.
fff0133542d1d6554614700ca7e0c408.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how many were in the truck last fall at the GTG.
I'm going to ask out of ignorance, because I don't know you and your work, but why so many saws? When I cut firewood, I only need two. Granted I'm not dropping any trees.

I'm going to ask out of ignorance, because I don't know you and your work, but why so many saws? When I cut firewood, I only need two. Granted I'm not dropping any trees.
That was mustang Mike's truck last fall at our GTG. CAD is a serious problem. Just like the Rona. No vaccine.

And what about crawfish? crawdads? crayfish? any other names for them?
Crayfish. Or more accurately, those highly invasive, non-native, American crayfish that escaped a farm or 3 and with no predators here they are devastating ecosystems in many of our rivers, destroying fish numbers. Aka, a big problem for us. Similar story with mink and probably a few other things.

Yes I do that too with anything of value, even a 5 gal can of gas. And not just WM either. There are other stores I frequent that I don't trust some of their clientele. Sad it has to be done, but there will be that one person who has no morals.
I’m surprised that my can(s) of gas have never been jacked.

I look forward to the day that I do get a gas thief cause he’s second theft is going to be full of sugar water.

Well, you usually have your new saw(s), a couple project saws to be tested, the old reliable that always comes with, and another random spare or two.

Found out last Friday I'm DECEASED. :wtf: My retirement checks stopped coming and I called the company to do find out why. Their records say the info they got said I had passed away.NO my saws aren't for sale.:laughing:
Crayfish. Or more accurately, those highly invasive, non-native, American crayfish that escaped a farm or 3 and with no predators here they are devastating ecosystems in many of our rivers, destroying fish numbers. Aka, a big problem for us. Similar story with mink and probably a few other things.
The Asian Carp in the Mississippi River System. I stopped fishing for White Bass in a tailwater of a local lake because that's all you could catch.

I'm looking forward to the crops coming out of the fields soon. We know a lot of the farmers around here and have hunting permissions. I'm hoping that I'll be able to cut some of the dead trees down out of the creeks and fieldlines. I also have a patch of hickory trees in mind that I might cull from. Is anyone else looking forward to the crops coming out?
Me, my allergies are starting up right now. Liking the cooler temps we are currently getting, 51 here this morning :rock:.

You only noodle part way?

Phllbert
I do it that way on hardwood too, doesn't take much to bust them open the rest of the way. If there are lots of cracks in the wood I will cut thru around half way so when I hit it with the fiskars it follows the cracks which helps to keep the pieces nicer(unless you just cut all the pieces lol).

I also take two saws, that’s plenty. Even when dropping trees.

The Asian Carp in the Mississippi River System. I stopped fishing for White Bass in a tailwater of a local lake because that's all you could catch.

We should electo-shock it and pack up all those Asian carp and ship them to North Korea. Maybe they wouldn't be forced to eat the family dog.[/QUOTE]

I also take two saws, that’s plenty. Even when dropping trees.
When doing sketchy yard trees I always try to have two saws just for falling, if you hit something inside you need to be able to grab another saw so you can finish the back-cut. I also like to do as much of my sharpening at home so I bring saws with sharp chains and full tanks. Most times I will take at least two of each cc saw I plan on using so if I run out of fuel or dull a chain I just grab the next one.
I find having the saws ready to go and having multiples is especially handy when I'm working in the fall after the time change, not as many hrs in the day, saws can be filled and sharpened at home in the basement.
Like I say, what works for one doesn't work for everyone.

We should electo-shock it and pack up all those Asian carp and ship them to North Korea. Maybe they wouldn't be forced to eat the family dog.
[/QUOTE]
Or maybe we should have shipped them to China so they wouldn't have to mess with bats.

Today I cut up the storm damage tree (that had already been topped) with just 2 saws. May have been able to get by with one, but I hit something in the wood (likely a pebble in the rot). One had a 24", the other a 28" bar. I also brought 2 660s with 36" bars because the guy said the tree was big, but it was just moderate.

I have 2 660s set up with 36" bars for milling a large bucking. When milling, chains go dull fast, so I just swap saws. Two other 660s are set up with 24" bars for bucking large rounds.

I have 2 limbing saws (a 261 w/18" and a 026 w/16"), 3 20" bars saws (360, 044 and 462) and another 462 with a 24" bar.

Then I have 2 440/460 hybrids and a 460 with 28" bars.

I don't have time to be swapping B+Cs, or sharpening rocked chains while I'm working. I just bring enough saws to get it done! Often when one runs out of fuel, I just pick up another.

Ready for the cool down. I just spent a 1/2 an hour at the wood pile with the 445 and I'm soaked!

Also ready here. 2 solid weeks of high 90s (one 102 day) sitting in the house. predicted 93 today (and feels like it) - 83 tomorrow. Just spent 30 minutes out there loading the truck with the saws/tools and checking every thing is there. Out fall one big stem off off of a willow. It'll feel good to have a saw throwing chips again. 362 ready with 25" bar to fell it, then swap to 20" to buck it. Shouldn't be a lot of brush for the 193T

If I’m cutting a pickup or pickup + trailer of wood I’ll take 2-3 saws. If I’m doing actual tree work or a larger project I’ll have many more. And the further I am from home, the more saws I’ll take.

Then sometimes I cut wood specifically to test out new-to-me saws or saws I’m repairing for a friend. The first trip to the woods after repairs often results in a saw being shelved almost immediately if you determine it needs to go back on the bench so you cannot plan on them all being able to contribute. Sometimes you bring 4 saws to the woods and 3 need further work, other times all 4 work flawlessly.

Not including a pinched bar or unseen metal/rock, there’s a million other little things that can go wrong with a saw, and when Mr Murphy shows up, all bets are off. Last fall when we were working on the road widening project, at one point 3 of the 4 saws were down, all with a different ailment!

Back