Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't say it's and updated 660, I don't know of too many parts on a 660 that will fit on a 661 without modification. The 660 is a standard carb saw while the 661 has an electronic carb/mtronic. The 661 is stihls latest greatest 90cc saw that fills the slot the 660 previously held.

Just out of curiosity, which is preferred, standard carb or electronic carb/mtronic ? And I agree about the 60-70cc for up to 30". My 038 (60cc) has done well on the occassional 30" and I've used a MS 170 on 24" predominately for a season. I don't really need a 90cc. (but I want one).

The 661 is the replacement for the 660 and is more powerful in stock form. Ported, they can be very close. 661 has spring AV and M Tronic.

241, 261, 461 and 661 are all Pro saws. If it has a white handle with a black top, it is a pro saw.

The new 462 is a very good option for you, will put that 170 to shame and does not weigh a ton (in fact, it is very light). Also has great features.

I prefer the M Tronic saws, don't want to have to carry a tiny screwdriver with me!

Reading Stihl saw numbers.
1st number is displacement (approx)
2nd number shows home owner/professional. Even number is professional with zero being considered even.
3rd numbr starts at 0 and goes up for the number of modifications to the original.

I have had a 361 and now a 362 and I believe there is now a 363.

Well I worked up a bunch of oak today. I forgot pics. I will get some tomorrow. It was a huge oak (+/- 40”). I got to use my 462 for the first time, WOW! It lived up to the hype. I ran my 362 then the 462 and I could immediately feel the extra power with very little added weight. I got about 2 tanks through the 462 today. I’m sure it will get better as it breaks in then I will muffler mod it. Maybe bolt on a Bark Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I only did 3 wheelbarrow loads today. Humidity was ugly except for about an hour 3pm imagine that.

Gonna change it up tomorrow make a trip to town for some blue monster paste then put in my new well pump UPS brought today. Should be tons of fun.

Acquired a “power saw” today from its 90 year old original owner. Long term scroungers will remember that the L65 model is near and dear to me. I sold my dads saw after I more or less wore it out. Will regret that one forever. But can’t change that now.

Dumped out the old fuel that looked like strong coffee. Put in fresh stuff but flooded it off the bat then let stuff evaporate and it fired right up and runs great. Just needs one new antivibe bushing.

8BF06118-0AE8-46DB-A342-BA46D7E604A6.jpeg68307AE5-50E1-446E-9A50-D495D6DDC607.jpegCFA89BF8-1CD2-459E-99D2-99F9B275681E.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, which is preferred, standard carb or electronic carb/mtronic ? And I agree about the 60-70cc for up to 30". My 038 (60cc) has done well on the occassional 30" and I've used a MS 170 on 24" predominately for a season. I don't really need a 90cc. (but I want one).
This is where you’re wrong djg James.........You ”need” a 90cc saw........ and I can guarantee if you hang around here with us guys long enough you’ll end up with one LOL

Latest posts

Back