Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where you’re wrong djg James.........You ”need” a 90cc saw........ and I can guarantee if you hang around here with us guys long enough you’ll end up with one LOL
Yes I think you're right. I hope I don't catch the dreaded CAD. I'm showing symptoms. On my local CL, there's a guy selling a Stihl 038 Super (Magnum?) for $300. Looks clean, I know that can be deceiving. Would be fun to try the 462 as suggested, though.

Well I worked up a bunch of oak today. I forgot pics. I will get some tomorrow. It was a huge oak (+/- 40”). I got to use my 462 for the first time, WOW! It lived up to the hype. I ran my 362 then the 462 and I could immediately feel the extra power with very little added weight. I got about 2 tanks through the 462 today. I’m sure it will get better as it breaks in then I will muffler mod it. Maybe bolt on a Bark Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will really wake up after a few more tanks. Most of my cutting doesn't require much more than the 20" bar I have on it and it screams. My 036 doesn't see much run time anymore.

Going incognito for 3 days. Our annual Savage rendezvous, no cell service. Something about PA and Savage 1899’s. I think half the 99’s ever made wound up in PA.
Sounds like fun

I collected guns for a while in the pre-kids era. I always wanted one, but never found a 99 locally that wasn't ridiculously overpriced. Lots of nice ones on gunbroker for decent prices but after shipping plus paying the FFL here to transfer they get expensive.

I had a Remington model 8 in 300 savage. That was a fun gun for woods carrying. Still the biggest buck I have shot by stalking came with that one.

If it has a white handle with a black top, it is a pro saw.
While that was mostly true for a time(there was at least one exception) some of the newer model farm ranch saws have white handles to keep us guessing :rare2:.

I have had a 361 and now a 362 and I believe there is now a 363
There's not yet a 363, but it would have been a good way to designate between the early 362 and the newer 362 mtronic, but I guess they couldn't do that as the new versions of the 362 could be had in both standard and electronic carb(mtronic).
Another one I thought was odd is the husky 550mk2 which is the newest 50cc offering from husky, what's odd to me is they completely redesigned it but left it the same model number as the 550mk1, sure that will/has led to guys getting the wrong part a time or two.
They sure like to keep us guessing.

Well I have to drop that load of aspen this morning then a busy day at work. My youngest son's 13th birthday today and he has requested Italian tonight so we are heading to the italian restaurant in the town southwest of here by 25 miles. I think they are on the 3rd or 4th generation of ownership by the same family. The food is not what it was when I was a kid but it is still very good.

what's odd to me is they completely redesigned it but left it the same model number
Sometimes companies make no sense. If they had designated it a new model number for the various MK 2 saws they probably could have sold more saws as some guys would just need to have the new model.

But look at what they did in the small saw arena. The 135 and 135 mk2 are totally different saws from different manufacturers.

Sometimes companies make no sense. If they had designated it a new model number for the various MK 2 saws they probably could have sold more saws as some guys would just need to have the new model.

But look at what they did in the small saw arena. The 135 and 135 mk2 are totally different saws from different manufacturers.
Yep, but many of the guys making those decisions make more money in one day than I do in a yr, so what do I know lol.
It was obvious with the 372xtorq they were trying to recover some ground after the 575 had all its issues, much like when ford got rid of the Taurus and then brought it right back.
When I was delivering to grocery stores and management would change they always came up with all sorts of great ideas, but after being in the industry for a a few yrs it was apparent that after they drew an idea out of the hat they threw it back in whether it worked or not, because sure enough the next manager would come up with the same failed idea :rare2:.

Second half load of sugar maple. I've been driving around with it like a trophy.
cb1b82548191ea2d6b5fd62db241d62a.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Split up some more of the red fir pile today58456EB1-F70C-4F35-BD07-B925E3DE45AE.jpegGot the wood shed filled149DC65D-1195-45F2-BEAB-853EAA91A66A.jpeg, still have about 7-8 cords to split, might have to build another wood shed, lol. Need to make room, going out tomorrow to get some more. Don’t really need it right now but hate to pass up nice easy access wood.
Any guesses on how many cords in the shed?362139EC-71C7-4CB1-A39A-7C344E0F015A.jpeg

Yep, but many of the guys making those decisions make more money in one day than I do in a yr, so what do I know lol.
It was obvious with the 372xtorq they were trying to recover some ground after the 575 had all its issues, much like when ford got rid of the Taurus and then brought it right back.
When I was delivering to grocery stores and management would change they always came up with all sorts of great ideas, but after being in the industry for a a few yrs it was apparent that after they drew an idea out of the hat they threw it back in whether it worked or not, because sure enough the next manager would come up with the same failed idea :rare2:.
Job status/income, common sense, and intelligence do not necessary go hand in hand. Some people earn their way to a successful career while others succeed by luck, nepotism, deceit, or simply being the last man standing even if they had little to nothing to do with that. I would say more than half of the folks in middle management are there simply trying to preserve their jobs with little to no care about putting out the best possible product.

On another hand, you have performance vs profits. Creating a world beating product does not necessarily guarantee successful sales. Look at Mustang vs Camaro. For much of their time competing, the Camaro was the superior vehicle yet the Mustang outsold it in droves and for a time they did not even make Camaros. Also look at the best selling saws....MS170 etc.

Just out of curiosity, which is preferred, standard carb or electronic carb/mtronic ? And I agree about the 60-70cc for up to 30". My 038 (60cc) has done well on the occassional 30" and I've used a MS 170 on 24" predominately for a season. I don't really need a 90cc. (but I want one).
Wtf! Can an Ms170 even pull a 24" chain?! That must have been slow going. I bought 71cc of husky to use a longer bar than the 14" on my ms180

Well, they never made a fastback Camaro!!!

As I remember the Mustang GT 350s (in the hands of Carrol Shelby) even kicked the Vette's butt at the track!

And in Trans Am racing in the late 60s the Mustangs and Camaros were neck and neck, so it came down to personal preference.

And as good as they were, none of the cars right out of the factory could compete with what we built in our driveways, (it was like comparing a ported saw to an unported saw), and if you did your engine right the street race often depended on who could drive better.

I remember a guy got a brand new 454 Chevelle, and I asked him if he wanted to run my Mustang (a 70 Boss 302 body with a 427 Ford engine in it). He looked at me and asked if I was crazy!

I guestimate my car was running close to 12 flat in the quarter mile with street tires (no drag radials back then). That would still be competitive today, and unlike 99% of the hot rods back then, my car also handled well, with BFG Radial Trans Am's all around.

My current Mustang has the Hp to do it, but I can't get the traction in 1st and 2nd. My best street runs (according to my G-Tech) are in the mid 12s. It corners better than the older Mustangs, but the older ones launched better, and all the new cars seem to need "launch/traction" control to match it.

Back