Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer Joe, hope your wife heals up quickly.

I was splitting wood yesterday, and one piece did not fully split. So I grabbed it and forced it apart just as the guy helping me was bringing another round over. My middle finger rammed into the corner of the piece the guy was carrying, as the piece I had split, and I thought I broke my finger. Luckily, I was wearing gloves, and the finger just had a lump and a nice black and blue, but it smarted … so bad that when I got home I put a band aid over it even though the skin was not cut. It was just very sensitive to the touch. Feeling better today luckily.

Rented a chipper to help friends clear their driveway. Steve had a stroke 5-6 years ago and can get around the house ok, but uses a chair outside. They have 30 acres and their drive is over 1000’. We had filled two 8’ pickup loads of chips and I was pushing old rotted logs back into the bush with the loader, looked around and my wife was sitting on the driveway. Drove over, and one shoe was off, and she was holding her left wrist. Pulled over and she said, “ I think I broke my wrist.” Where she was working the drive had a 3-4” lip and she turned her ankle and went down on her left hand. That was about 3:30, got home about 9:30 in a cast. While I was going to get my truck to take her to the hospital she called our son to come get her, told me to keep working. She has to go see a surgeon Monday to make sure everything is set right. Hoping they don’t need to put in screws. Well, gotta get back over and finish at Steve’s house.

Praying for her to have a quick healing and recovery.

Rented a chipper to help friends clear their driveway. Steve had a stroke 5-6 years ago and can get around the house ok, but uses a chair outside. They have 30 acres and their drive is over 1000’. We had filled two 8’ pickup loads of chips and I was pushing old rotted logs back into the bush with the loader, looked around and my wife was sitting on the driveway. Drove over, and one shoe was off, and she was holding her left wrist. Pulled over and she said, “ I think I broke my wrist.” Where she was working the drive had a 3-4” lip and she turned her ankle and went down on her left hand. That was about 3:30, got home about 9:30 in a cast. While I was going to get my truck to take her to the hospital she called our son to come get her, told me to keep working. She has to go see a surgeon Monday to make sure everything is set right. Hoping they don’t need to put in screws. Well, gotta get back over and finish at Steve’s house.
Oh man that sucks. Hope she heals up good with minimal discomfort!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Lit off a fire in the stove tonight. That should be the last time I have to start a fire until next spring. temp dropping back to near normal for the season (60s). Good chance of rain tomorrow. Near 50 days since we have had any rain to speak of.

So I lied. Nice steady slow rain this morning so decided to work on sharpening all the chains hanging on the "to be sharped" nail. First, of course came breakfast, then mandatory reading of forums on the net, bit of flicking through tv news. Finally got out to the bench at 11am. Sharped one chain, came in to change chains on the dining room table (it was RAINING!), Decided a cuppa coffee would go well and sat down to play some computer solitar while drinking it. 1.5 hours later....no fire. Just finished lighting off another 'last time till spring' fire.

Yes, I did file one more chain - no point in getting carried away,teh other 10 chains will still be there later.

thinking of you and your wife Joe

managed 30 minutes in the neighbours garden between rain showers, and got the last of the wood out the under growth and on to the path. i'm making it sound an ordeal, it wasnt, i've been moving these rounds 6-10' ...but they were piled higgledy on a steep slope, a holly and various other growth and couple of compost bins impeding me, and trying not to mess up the place. I've been dancing and leaping out the way few rounds despite the steel capped boots and today I was shifting the last 3 or so rounds, the bottom of the tree...they were 24" diameter and 14-15" thick, the last to tried hard to get my toes or shins! So after turning around and watching them roll the last 4' over the undergrowth and flop on to the gravel path I sighed with relief and decided I wasn't going to battle these whole any further than absolutely necessary! After assessing the low hanging overgrowth they got shifted about 2 feet and then fiskared into quarters. I do love english oak. it splits nice. I may be getting old as after doing those 2 I've decided, a slipped disk or hernia is not worth it....I'll be halving or quartering the lot on my neighbours path now, I'll walk the 20' to the removed fence panel 4x as much instead.

I do love the smell of green English oak. unlike anything else but sort of apply and tobacco-ie, fresh and woody all together.

Well no wood scrounging today but I did work with wood all day.

Scrounged 5 ducks (should have limited at 6 but **** happens.)

Then I rebuilt the transom on the boat.

Then I put the new floorboards in the sauna. I had been using a patch of plywood since last summer. I need to do the left 2/3 of the floor next year. Put in a temp patch on the bad part over there for now.
3D462E0D-E15A-48DD-831C-49BE9080DA03.jpeg
3E80EADD-A558-4223-BD5E-80FADF0AF62A.jpeg4348F414-288B-4258-A313-1BD70E0273AF.jpeg8A342089-3E9B-4663-B9B4-AC562B8C909D.jpeg8CE3FDAD-3BE6-4046-B255-5ACC153F64C0.jpeg

Now it’s beer 30.
59F2C4EE-13FE-47B0-889E-A63E7C207619.jpeg

No scrounging today, just yard work and I used the 346xp to widen my trail that leads to the woods. It was getting tough to get the f350 down there.

Tuned the 262xp and put a newer chain on it and gave it a quick file. Touched up the chain on the 254xp as well. Getting these two and my ms361 ready for tomorrow. The FIL needs firewood bad for this season, so I told him to come on over. I've still got quite a few dead standing ash trees he can use. I plan to maybe fell a couple honey locust and some red oak for next year's season. I have a feeling most of the dead ash will be gone in the next couple years. So, I need to start seasoning some other hardwoods.

I'm self taught on filing, and have been free-handing for years. Never have posted pics before of my filing work. How's it look to you all? I always seem to throw good chips, and my chains last a good while. I'll usually touch them up before going out each time, just to make sure they're top notch. I hate cutting with a dull chain.

5F03B045-23FD-4CA8-8E6F-A0ACF50ADD50.jpeg

Old subject, but I've been down awhile waiting on a new modem. someone mentioned that some hydros are light weight and can't pull anything. Such is mine. The manual says not to pull anything and is restricted on hillsides. Since mine is on it's last leg, leaking oil out the muffler, I drilled out the pin hole and attached a 2" ball. I also drilled out a Unistrut coupler plate and attached it so I could pull my cart as well as my log splitter.

IMG_9829.JPG

Haven't been to the log yard for a while, but i recently picked up a load of cherry for smoking. Today I found some Mulberry that I couldn't pass up. I recently blew a trailer tire hauling a brush hog 100 miles. Luckily 10 miles from home and only going 45 mph at the time. Put on the spare without any trouble. I knew both tires had sidewall cracks, but I never got new tires because normally I was only driving two miles for firewood. The point is, I split the load of Mulberry up between my truck and trailer to take some of the load of the last bad tire. Heavy stuff.

IMG_9934.JPG

Always bad to hear of some one getting hurt. A wife getting hurt just seems that much worse. Hoping for fast healing

@ maud

Low kickback chain with the bent over rakers...”safety chain”. Save them
For dirty wood or stump cuts.

I personally run Stihl yellow chain on my husky’s. Much better.

Thanks for the tip. I plan to snag some Stihl RS for my 20" saws. I picked up two of these chains for cheap, didn't know they were safety chains. They throw pretty good chips. Husqvarna H80-072G is the model.

The only other chain I have for 20" 3/8 is still green (RM3??). I never knew about the yellow until I found you guys. The one dealer I used to go to always handed me that when I'd ask for a new chain.

I think the Husqvarna chain with the folded over rackers cuts better than the Stihl green.

. I picked up two of these chains for cheap, didn't know they were safety chains. They throw pretty good chips.
‘Low kick back’; not ‘safety’. They will still cut your leg off if you get careless.

Throwing ‘pretty good chips’ is what matters.

Called ‘Vanguard’ chain by Oregon, who also made the Husqvarna version. Several threads and posts on it here on A.S.

Philbert

Back